Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is shooting arsonists and looters ok
Yes 150 71.77%
No 59 28.23%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 06:11 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
There are a number of non-lethal crowd control methods which affect the senses of those towards whom they are directed. The result, while unpleasant, is not damaging in the long term. I am at a mental loss to understand why they aren't used.
I agree completely, and the best tool that could be used for crowd control right now, especially in the northern cities (I think the dew point is in the 40's right now in Chicago), is water. Available from every fire hydrant, a light soaking would leave people wanting to go home within minutes. You don't need to direct water cannons directly at people, just let it "rain" on them. Cold, wet, and miserable takes all the fun out of rioting.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:14 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
How about sonic weapons? Low frequency sound makes you sick to your stomach. It can be used to disperse crowds. And there are other non-invasive methods that are available. They've been developed. Why aren't we using them?

I like your idea Curly. No one wants to be soaking wet at night around here until July. LOL.

Of course it would be written up in the history books by the revisionists as something else, I think. Seems like a lot of people writing here give the rioters a bit of a free pass. I hear a lot of excuses. Scary.

I know that in MN I pray I never have to defend myself against physical attack with violence. They'd string me up.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:56 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,797,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Is this question only aimed at those rioting for injustice, or is sports fan rioting also included, because that is actually more common?
Dumbest post ever.....

Old 05-31-2020, 09:51 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I just watched a news cast of looting in Long Beach. The looters were ripping the plywood off a Ross store, then breaking the glass doors to get in. Crowds of them got in the store with the media cameras rolling filming all this. Out they come with piles of clothes etc. No police stopping them.

What I don't get is these protests and lootings.Well it's because of the death of the black man in Minneapolis. So why are all these looters at this Ross store black? There all laughing and going in and out stealing more items. This looting has nothing to do with that death. These looters are thieves and could care less about that man. I honestly don't care what happens to these looters. Their trash period.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:19 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Rioting and looting go together like coffee and cream.

Anybody remember the NYC Blackout of 1977? Bunch of people looted stuff like record stores and groceries, stole diapers & whatever. It's going to happen.

There no use blaming the looters & rioters. We created them with our accumulated actions and in-actions. The death of George Floyd was just a spark. We've allowed the black community to simmer. Now they're dying from the coronavirus at a higher clip than other communities & no one cares. The kinds of jobs they had were the first to get eliminated from the lockdowns, and all the while the police are still treating them badly and people do things like call the cops on them for going for a jog. And we are somehow surprised when they boil over from all that stress.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:55 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Rioting and looting go together like coffee and cream.

Anybody remember the NYC Blackout of 1977? Bunch of people looted stuff like record stores and groceries, stole diapers & whatever. It's going to happen.

There no use blaming the looters & rioters. We created them with our accumulated actions and in-actions. The death of George Floyd was just a spark. We've allowed the black community to simmer. Now they're dying from the coronavirus at a higher clip than other communities & no one cares. The kinds of jobs they had were the first to get eliminated from the lockdowns, and all the while the police are still treating them badly and people do things like call the cops on them for going for a jog. And we are somehow surprised when they boil over from all that stress.
Please. Most people are making more on unemployment (with the $600 per week subsidy) than they made working. Add in the twelve hundred buck stimulus, "hero pay" and generous tips for those still working, and shortage of cash has NOT been a problem for the past two months for most people.

This is also not the "black community" that is out there rioting and looting, it is maybe five or ten percent of the black community, mixed in with some leftist white and Latino knuckleheads that can't stand to be left out of a good protest. NOBODY is saying what happened to Floyd was good, justified, or defensible. There are bad cops in the world, just as there are bad doctors, mechanics, and janitors. The cop identified for Floyd's death (rightly or wrongly will come to light during his trial) was fired and arrested in record time. This is an "opportunity" for a bunch of low-lives to riot and loot. And the mayors of the affected cities are (mostly) failing in their response on this. Their primary job is to protect the safety and property of the citizens they represent by enforcing the rule of law, with whatever degree of force is required to stop whatever threat is presented. And they are failing at that, big time. Will they be given a pass by the voters? Probably. But a whole bunch of folks are going to be leaving cities with large populations of minorities in the coming months because of this, taking jobs and dollars with them - exactly what happened after the 1968 riots. Who do you think that will hurt the worst?

Old 05-31-2020, 11:24 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Please. Most people are making more on unemployment (with the $600 per week subsidy) than they made working. Add in the twelve hundred buck stimulus, "hero pay" and generous tips for those still working, and shortage of cash has NOT been a problem for the past two months for most people.

This is also not the "black community" that is out there rioting and looting, it is maybe five or ten percent of the black community, mixed in with some leftist white and Latino knuckleheads that can't stand to be left out of a good protest. NOBODY is saying what happened to Floyd was good, justified, or defensible. There are bad cops in the world, just as there are bad doctors, mechanics, and janitors. The cop identified for Floyd's death (rightly or wrongly will come to light during his trial) was fired and arrested in record time. This is an "opportunity" for a bunch of low-lives to riot and loot. And the mayors of the affected cities are (mostly) failing in their response on this. Their primary job is to protect the safety and property of the citizens they represent by enforcing the rule of law, with whatever degree of force is required to stop whatever threat is presented. And they are failing at that, big time. Will they be given a pass by the voters? Probably. But a whole bunch of folks are going to be leaving cities with large populations of minorities in the coming months because of this, taking jobs and dollars with them - exactly what happened after the 1968 riots. Who do you think that will hurt the worst?
Yeah we're all so relaxed right now, flush with cash. For most of these cities, $1200 is less than 1 month rent for a 1br apartment. And a lot of people don't qualify for unemployment or are backlogged waiting on it. Some people can't get unemployment for a variety of circumstances such as not having the right job. Unemployment is helping some people, far from all, and in most cases they'd probably rather have steady jobs than short-term stipends that are going away soon.

The protest movement / riots stopped being about Floyd on the 2nd day. Floyd is the just the latest in a long list of grievances. You'd think if we were so much better than 1967-69, there wouldn't be any riots anymore. Somehow they keep happening and they're worse now than they have been in a while. Makes you wonder if we'll ever stop to think if we're actually doing any good or anything at all to alleviate the problems laid out by the Kerner Commission. Maybe the fact that they don't perceive things getting better is part of the problem?

Oh but it's the insidious Antifa, the new communists under the bed, that we can blame for all this.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-31-2020 at 11:34 PM..

Old 05-31-2020, 11:30 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
No, for looters, unless they become a threat to someone's life.

Arsonists? Light them up! Fires have the potential to kill. That's already a threat in my eyes.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
This might be true in the state you live or worked but it's not at all accurate in others.

It does explain why we see looting in some states but not others.

I don't think most looters know the local laws. Obviously they don't care much, either.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:14 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Yes to looters and yes to arsonists. Shoot them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates