Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2020, 05:21 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,631 times

Advertisements

I can't think of any good argument for allowing squatters to have a claim to someone else's property if they get away with using it for a given amount of time. How could anyone be in favor of this? Genuinely curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 07:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I can't think of any good argument for allowing squatters to have a claim to someone else's property...
How could anyone be in favor of this? Genuinely curious.
It's about abandonment and waste neither of which benefit the County.
Having well established protocols avoids other fights.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:22 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,211,966 times
Quote:
I can't think of any good argument for allowing squatters to have a claim to someone else's property if they get away with using it for a given amount of time. How could anyone be in favor of this? Genuinely curious.
It's something of a dated concept. It comes from a time when the thought was that all land should be used for the purpose that most furthers industrial development - or at least doesn't allow it to "go to seed." It was a value judgment from a time where the world isn't as small as it is now, where if someone owned a piece of land but made absolutely no productive use of it - didn't live on it, didn't farm it, didn't build a factory on it, nothing - then society was better off giving rights to someone who would "make productive use" of that land.

Again, I think it is a dated concept because now we see the value in undeveloped land, but that was the policy principle when the idea of adverse possession was developed. I have no way to know for sure but with as small as the world has become and the changes that have come I expect rights by adverse possession don't occur very often these days.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Yes, abandonment of homes and commercial buildings creates a real problem for cities and its increasing in our times, people loose their home and just pack up and leave, the bank or financial institution that owns it may be 1000s of miles away from the property, so its not likely they are going to keep up with maintenance.

As long as someone is maintaining the property, the city is happy I imagine, the time limit is also an incentive to keep property maintained.

I have no idea how often a squatter legally becomes the owner, probably happens more than we think! There are quite a few hoops they have to jump thru, in order to come out as the legal owner, free and clear, its not an easy thing to do.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
I can't think of one either. I can't imagine how anyone who owns anything could be in favor of this.it's ridiculous at best.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:17 PM

44 posts, read 33,266 times
Default If they have an indirect I test or vesting in the tutle

If the squatter has an indirect interest in the property or anyone who had any interest in the property gave them access or permission.
For instance what if the properyy belonged to a family member before the transfer or even a friend?
What if a legitimate person gave them access? What if the previous occupant gave them access but then moved out. They may be a tenant at sufferance.
Now if they simply gained access without any legitimate person granting hem access then they are squatters. This is highly unlikely though. Most squatters occupied the property by some semi legitimate means.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
if memory serves the adverse has to be open (well known)
and it takes 15 yrs?
its more of an easement

its an easement based of the owner allowing the adverse to go on....openly until its well established

Old 06-16-2020, 11:04 AM

18,128 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
My understanding is that the argument is that lots of land was given away to a small group of people a long time ago.
And now that small group is using that land that was given to them to get rich from other people's necessity to have a place where to live.

I was thinking more of a worldwide thing, not just local

Old 06-24-2020, 11:45 AM

1,161 posts, read 466,362 times
Adverse possession is very much alive and well in the West. It isn't about "squatters." It's about owners who don't care enough about their property even to check up on it.

Adverse possession must be (1) "open and notorious," meaning the owner couldn't miss it if he bothered to look; (2) "hostile," meaning without the permission of the owner; and (3) uninterrupted for a very considerable period of time - generally ten years, which may be shortened if the adverse possessor pays the property taxes.

Adverse possession encourages responsible ownership and the productive use of property. You have to be a really, really negligent owner to lose your property to adverse possession.

The same concept and elements apply to prescriptive easements, which are the right to pass across someone else's land (by foot or vehicle or whatever right has been established by long use).

In all cases, no adverse possession or prescriptive easement exists until a court agrees the elements have been satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates