Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 12:06 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I also consider myself a Libertarian. It'd be damn nice if we would ever get a decent political candidate.
Who did most of you libertarians vote for in the last presidential election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 12:07 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
This stuff does go overboard but if you are a public figure you have to use good judgement. If you are going to say, tweet or do something that may cause blow-back don't do it. Like it or not you represent the entity you work for or own 24/7.

Its pretty much impossible to stop people from having a negative reaction to what someone says, tweets or does if its something a group of people find objectionable even if its faux objection. And since that goal post is always on the move you can get nailed for something you said 5 or 10 years ago. That may not be fair but life is not fair.
However, while life is not always fair, we should always strive to make it more fair.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:13 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
We often hear of a CEO, politician, or celebrity of some sort being fired, demoted, or punished because they made a statement that was not received well by "oppressed group #1" or "oppressed group #2", etc. Is this a process of the free market, as many would argue, or is it that people are getting far too sensitive in this country and they want everyone to think the same? Who sets that moral compass? It seems that there are groups who want to define the tone for morality and values in the country.

People want to have their own beliefs, and at the same time desire others to believe the same as they. Is this acceptable in your opinion? Is any certain moral standpoint superior to another? Why do we punish those whose thoughts/ opinions don't line up with what may be considered popular? You can say this happens with a variety of social issues, just pick one. I personally believe it's dangerous to our freedom as a country and a people, to be reluctant to express personal views for fear of retribution.

We should always stand for justice - this is truth! But should we bully others until they agree with us on other issues? This is a very popular tactic being used today. Say something that suits their agenda, and you're safe. This has been done before in history - and had dire consequences eventually.

Check this out for some perspective on different cultures of morality and where my discussion is coming from: https://youtu.be/XeecFbviXt0

People with lack of empathy look at people demanding fair and dignified treatment as bullies. I swear there is collective amnesia or outright ignorance of the history of this country. As if 400 years of slavery followed by Jim Crow, followed continually by discrimination somehow doesn't require protest.

Racism and discrimination in this country seeps from every crevice. So if it seems like constant badgering and bullying, then yes. It is simply people no longer taking the BS anymore. Whereas before, it was accepted and swallowed deep into the pits of stomachs. Unfortunately, for far too long.

People are fed up with the status quo and fighting back. Rightly so.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:08 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Since you indicate that there are quite a few of us who are seeing you as a racist, perhaps the wise thing to do would be for you to go back through your posts and think about why some of us have may have come to that conclusion.

So I read through all of them, twice forward and once backward, and definitely didn't find one thing that reasonably points to racism. But, of course, it doesn't take much for you to make that charge, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But you seem offended that we may think that way, while you're calling me Hitler.

Did you read the sentence you wrote in that post? I did. And trust me, I do not get offended at strangers' opinions of me. I'm far too ahead in life to worry about my personal image to people who I only know as a clever screen name. I am actually 100% positive I'm not racist, and I'm sure my black stepdad, mixed brothers/sisters, and mixed son would agree.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:02 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,724 times
Quote:
So I read through all of them, twice forward and once backward, and definitely didn't find one thing that reasonably points to racism. But, of course, it doesn't take much for you to make that charge, does it?
Well, one can't see what they can't see.

Quote:
Did you read the sentence you wrote in that post? I did. And trust me, I do not get offended at strangers' opinions of me. I'm far too ahead in life to worry about my personal image to people who I only know as a clever screen name. I am actually 100% positive I'm not racist, and I'm sure my black stepdad, mixed brothers/sisters, and mixed son would agree.
I'm getting quite tired of prejudiced people using DNA (or, in this case, proximity to a specific DNA) as some sort of proof that they're not prejudiced. Your blood line (or, in this case, lack thereof) is proof of nothing. Your words, however.....

Old 06-18-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Well, one can't see what they can't see.

I'm getting quite tired of prejudiced people using DNA (or, in this case, proximity to a specific DNA) as some sort of proof that they're not prejudiced. Your blood line (or, in this case, lack thereof) is proof of nothing. Your words, however.....

This is classic - you have also labeled me a racist, but with no basis other than you don't like what I said. So, I challenge you - please find my statement or statements that are racist in nature. Please put them here for all to see.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:28 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
We often hear of a CEO, politician, or celebrity of some sort being fired, demoted, or punished because they made a statement that was not received well by "oppressed group #1" or "oppressed group #2", etc. Is this a process of the free market, as many would argue, or is it that people are getting far too sensitive in this country and they want everyone to think the same? Who sets that moral compass? It seems that there are groups who want to define the tone for morality and values in the country.

People want to have their own beliefs, and at the same time desire others to believe the same as they. Is this acceptable in your opinion? Is any certain moral standpoint superior to another? Why do we punish those whose thoughts/ opinions don't line up with what may be considered popular? You can say this happens with a variety of social issues, just pick one. I personally believe it's dangerous to our freedom as a country and a people, to be reluctant to express personal views for fear of retribution.

We should always stand for justice - this is truth! But should we bully others until they agree with us on other issues? This is a very popular tactic being used today. Say something that suits their agenda, and you're safe. This has been done before in history - and had dire consequences eventually.

Check this out for some perspective on different cultures of morality and where my discussion is coming from: https://youtu.be/XeecFbviXt0

The CEOs being fired or demoted is primarily because the powers that be in the company have determined it would be bad for business to do otherwise - it is not a moral judgement on the part of the company, but a business decision. People typically don't want to do business with people they don't like if there are other options available. There are still plenty of a**-holes running companies who are still there just because business hasn't suffered (maybe they make a good product or have a monopoly so people overlook their statements).

For an historical perspective on punishing other people's thoughts or perspectives, how about the infamous "Un-American Activities" hearings where many people were accused, blacklisted or imprisoned for "suspected" sympathy with left-leaning causes. How about the spying and intrusion by the government into the lives of Americans whose "causes" did not tow the line with people like J. Edgar Hoover or Richard Nixon (among others), such as MLK and Bobby Kennedy, who were pushing for such "radical" ideas as Civil Rights. How about when LGBT people had to stay "in the closet" or risk not just jobs and reputations, but even arrest and imprisonment if their "thoughts/opinions" were shared. Or even today, where Kapernick has been blacklisted for doing what now hundreds of other players have done.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:28 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,724 times
All who can see, do. Those who can't see, won't....and will deflect.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
All who can see, do. Those who can't see, won't....and will deflect.
The irony.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
The CEOs being fired or demoted is primarily because the powers that be in the company have determined it would be bad for business to do otherwise - it is not a moral judgement on the part of the company, but a business decision. People typically don't want to do business with people they don't like if there are other options available. There are still plenty of a**-holes running companies who are still there just because business hasn't suffered (maybe they make a good product or have a monopoly so people overlook their statements).

So so much for your constitutional rights and freedoms.
There is constitution, somewhere in the vacuum sealed case.
Then, next to it, is propaganda about it.
Somewhere up high in the sky. A part of wonderland, called free country.
Then, there is the real country. Country where "we all know what we can't say about we know who". Or, pay grossly.. Sure, you can stand for your principles and get all the way up to the Supereme court, as far as you have enough time, nervous stamina and money, to go through years of the process - even if you were still alive.
Then, there is "business" constitution. If we cater to a certain group of people, and you disagree with their behavior or opinion or how they treat you - either bend over and have it or, look place else for employment. Bad for business supersedes constitution and bill of rights. And, even if you were very vocal and had good lawyers and your company is sissy enough not to fire you openly, they WILL squeeze you out or, reorganize their book of business that, suddenly, your position disappears and you can't sue them for unlawful dismissal. Any half way decent HR person knows how to do this.

So, so much for your freedoms and rights. Any business owner supersedes them as is "good for business".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates