Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 09:06 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
NO MORE Pandering to Black people, no more special treatment!
Change "black people" to "black activists" and most people will be with you. Nike is donating $40 million to BLM. Why not use that $40 million to build a Nike factory in a black neighborhood in the U.S.?

Old 06-17-2020, 10:14 AM

1,161 posts, read 466,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Things do sound bitter to those who hold bitterness within.

Mine was an observation and nothing at all wrong with that observation. Every corner of this earth is an opportunity. People are different. Your way of thinking is just that - yours.
Well, let's see:

Quote:
For those of us who don’t want or care about your society and it’s false strength, we are gone. You’re welcome.
You're right. No bitterness there. I don't know what I was thinking.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:34 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
NO MORE Pandering to Black people, no more special treatment!

Pardon me, but it looks more like "YES, YES MORE pandering to black people and their mewling white-people apologists, please don't hurt us or call us racists, please please please, we'll do whatever you say...". Forever.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:43 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't think you have the slightest idea about how racism has effected the black community over the years. I don't care whether you are a minority or not. It has not increased your understanding.

I am aware that some conservatives actually believe the only racism in this country today is racism against white people. Frankly, after the violence we've seen directed at a number of black people in the last month or two by police and others, I find the position that racism has somehow "disappeared" to be just absurd.

Your tired polemic does not belong here in Great Debates. It belongs over in the Politics Forum and I hope that is where this one ends up. Over there, some of your buddies who reliably agree with the most conservative claptrap there is can all post in your support. You can sit there in your little echo chamber and all listen to each other.

Tables are from same source, Washington Post used to show institutional racism in the country and from 2018 FBI report.

Y'all are good with tables.
Attached Thumbnails
NO MORE Pandering to Black people, no more special treatment!-24-white-offenders-victims.jpg   NO MORE Pandering to Black people, no more special treatment!-25-black-offenders-victims.jpg   NO MORE Pandering to Black people, no more special treatment!-26-victims-black-offenders.jpg   NO MORE Pandering to Black people, no more special treatment!-27-blacks-killed-all-victims.jpg  

Old 06-17-2020, 12:47 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You are the one in an echo chamber listening to all the Leftist media bias.

The fact is that blacks commit more crimes per capita than any other group hence more interactions from police. As seen by the latest incidences, it almost always involves resisting, fighting or arguing with police. Things escalate and when that happens sometimes it can go very bad for both the perpetrator and even the police.

There is no systemic racism towards blacks by law enforcement. Whites are killed by police at a greater number. That however won’t fit into the Left’s narrative.
PolitiFact: Larry Elder mislabels statistics on fatal shootings by police.. There was 28 unarmed blacks and 51 unarmed whites killed by police in 2019. These numbers include off duty police killings. Five black people and 12 white people died from tasers or beatings or other forms of force. (Choke holds?) Some were killed while in possession of a toy weapon. I remember that child killed in the park pointing a toy gun at an officer. That was tragic.

So yes, you are right about more whites killed by police than blacks. How come whites don't riot and destroy innocent lives by burning businesses in our communities?

If you look at the Department of Justice Statistics, you will see that the black population is 15% of the overall population, yet, they commit over 50% of the violent crime. In New York blacks commit 75% of all shootings although they are 23% of the population.

So is there bias in policing and arresting more blacks, or do the statistics speak for them self? Not exactly. Poor people are more likely to commit street crime. Wealthy white people? More likely to commit white collar crime. We all know about those country club jails or people in high positions that are never prosecuted. How many went to jail for the derivative scam that put us in recession? One? Yet, poor black people go to jail or die while in custody. Does that suggest bias? No. Rich white people get arrested but don't serve time because they buy their way out. We all know that.

So what is the problem? Poverty, lack of opportunity, frustration with discrimination, urban settings with more opportunity to commit crime with the higher density. So, if whites commit white collar crimes that are destructive to our economy, and can cause a global recession like the banking crash of 2008, why do they get away with it while our jails are full of people of color doing time for street crime? White privilege?

This is an interesting article. 8.3 Who Commits Crime? Social Problem
I don't think this is a "leftist media bias," I think this is a complex problem that society created generations ago that has never been addressed. Can the media do better by reporting all of the facts? Yes.

Can people of color do better? It depends on the opportunity. If it's taken away, what's left? Poverty and the cycle of ignorance that keeps breeding the criminal. We all have to do better. Not just the police, not just people of color, but all of us as a collective solution.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Change "black people" to "black activists" and most people will be with you. Nike is donating $40 million to BLM. Why not use that $40 million to build a Nike factory in a black neighborhood in the U.S.?
Because no one wants to admit outloud that they DON'T want to work to make black lives better. Big corporations sit in their cushy jobs telling their accountants to move money to BLM. That's easy. The truth is that they don't want to do business in black neighborhoods because of the image that they're ghetto and dangerous, so it's easier to donate money and let those who WANT to deal with black issues do it.

You don't see celebrities getting their hands dirty by going to inner city schools or volunteering in youth organizations to help the next generation. But they sure can sit in their comfortable mansions in Los Angeles and tell their accountants to move money to make themselves look like they care.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:19 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Harshly worded OP, but some truth to that. As I said elsewhere, it seems like your average white liberal American is inclined to be extremely deferential to blacks. As a foreigner coming here, that was one of the first things that stood out to me. I have seen no instances of overt racism at all, but I have noticed that white people simply tend to be wealthier than black people.

As a result in areas with a lot of black people, you often have an awkward situation where you have wealthy whites served by blacks in low level jobs. You see this in New York, D.C., Philly etc. and I think this obvious socio-economic gap drives this whole resentment culture. But it's also obvious whites are generally embarrassed about that fact.

It's especially awkward when the whites 'in power' are super liberal themselves. So you get all the staff emails about racial justice, diversity, etc. but then of course you notice that most of the folks with "Chief" or "Director" or "VP" in their job titles are white. Of course, none of them are racists..but then again who is, right?

Explaining the socio-economic gap without just assuming this omnipresent spectre of racism becomes a lot more complicated and potentially points the finger in a direction that no-one wants to point in.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
If you speak to many black people, they are already conditioned into having preferential treatment in public and goes about their ways of taking advantage of these cases in public and people pretend to look the other way.

Here are a few cases:

- Line cutting, often I'm standing on a checkout line talking to my kids. Then suddenly a black woman casually cuts in front of me and then I mentioned I was on line. She said, she was already there and I was behind her. I told my son, this is an example of some black people's blatant abuse of their privilege. Not all black folks do this, it is usually black women who knows to take advantage of this.

-Opening food containers, I had to tell my kids not to do what these people are outright doing in public with opening food and drinking sodas then without paying dumping it on the side.

These are just examples that I had to educate my kids why it's wrong and why "they" are doing it.

- The looting and rioting, had to explain why they are doing it and why it will keep happening because these people believe it's xmas time whenever a protest begins.

So how do we educate our kids properly that we the non-black people have to accept black people with their special treatment. Liberals will cry racism but until we see true unfairness against black people I refuse to buy any case of systematic racism because many of it is warranted by the actions that speaks louder than words.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:50 PM

764 posts, read 392,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't think you have the slightest idea about how racism has effected the black community over the years. I don't care whether you are a minority or not. It has not increased your understanding.

I am aware that some conservatives actually believe the only racism in this country today is racism against white people. Frankly, after the violence we've seen directed at a number of black people in the last month or two by police and others, I find the position that racism has somehow "disappeared" to be just absurd.

Your tired polemic does not belong here in Great Debates. It belongs over in the Politics Forum and I hope that is where this one ends up. Over there, some of your buddies who reliably agree with the most conservative claptrap there is can all post in your support. You can sit there in your little echo chamber and all listen to each other.
If the blacks this happened to did not committ crimes, they would not be in this position!

Old 06-17-2020, 01:53 PM

127 posts, read 61,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you speak to many black people, they are already conditioned into having preferential treatment in public and goes about their ways of taking advantage of these cases in public and people pretend to look the other way.

Here are a few cases:

- Line cutting, often I'm standing on a checkout line talking to my kids. Then suddenly a black woman casually cuts in front of me and then I mentioned I was on line. She said, she was already there and I was behind her. I told my son, this is an example of some black people's blatant abuse of their privilege. Not all black folks do this, it is usually black women who knows to take advantage of this.

-Opening food containers, I had to tell my kids not to do what these people are outright doing in public with opening food and drinking sodas then without paying dumping it on the side.

These are just examples that I had to educate my kids why it's wrong and why "they" are doing it.

- The looting and rioting, had to explain why they are doing it and why it will keep happening because these people believe it's xmas time whenever a protest begins.

So how do we educate our kids properly that we the non-black people have to accept black people with their special treatment. Liberals will cry racism but until we see true unfairness against black people I refuse to buy any case of systematic racism because many of it is warranted by the actions that speaks louder than words.

Where do you live because where I live and from what iv'e observed on a day to day basis, this type of behavior is
not exclusive to "us". I see these irritating rude behaviors displayed by all types of people.

"If you speak to many black people, they are already conditioned into having preferential treatment in public and goes about their ways of taking advantage of these cases in public and people pretend to look the other way."

What does that mean?

I'm Black and I'm a woman. I do not feel like I can get away with rude behavior, not the way I was raised and not the way I raised my children.

If you have a question you would like to ask, I will answer respectful legitimate questions. I don't indulge in name calling and all that other juvenile behavior. keep in mind, I CAN'T AND DO NOT speak for every Black person, because contrary to some popular opinions,we are not all the same. Thank you.

I'm at work waiting on responses from physicians so I have time today. The best way to move forward and attempt, however futile it may be, to have respectful conversation is to open myself up to potential abuse on this site. Some of you on CD... Good grief!

Last edited by Sunshinetwelve29; 06-17-2020 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: had to add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates