Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 09:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,926,648 times

Advertisements

Its becoming obvious to me that many dont feel safe, being in groups, going to an event like a concert or a football game.

So, have you all decided when it will be safe for you personally to mix in groups, go to an event with many people around you.

Will it be when there are no new cases? Will it be when the government says it is safe? Or are you already safe?

Personally, I've pretty much ignored the "danger" from the beginning. So I've eaten out in a restaurant, sat in a bar with friends, went to church with over 60 people and shook almost 60 peoples hands after church. I've also visited someone in the hospital and took my wife to the hospital for treatment. I'm out getting my fresh air and exercise. I'm living my life and having fun too.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:24 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,254,394 times
Safe from what?

First two paragraphs could refer to everything going on today. Third does imply the Wuhan Virus due to "no new cases."

In regard to the Wuhan virus, I have not stopped going anywhere. If employees are wearing mask in a store, I wear one in respect for them being required by an employer to wear a mask. If not, I don't wear a mask. However, I respect the so called "social distancing" (which I believe should be called physical distancing since socially, being are still quite active...just look at the social sites). However, I have never liked anyone close to me, have never been the type get close so it is quite normal. Basically, I will not hide in fear of a flu like decease.

In regard to other problems today....same, statement minus references to masks.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:26 AM

11,521 posts, read 6,027,599 times
I have felt safe with Covid 19 ever since about May 1st when we found that it didn't have the mortality rate of Ebola, or Small Pox, or Bubonic Plague.

Covid 19 can be thought of as a bad pneumonia that primarily affects unhealthy people over 70.

I am just generalizing above, but once you realize that it is nothing more than the flu for people under 50, there shouldn't be ANY fear whatsoever about Covid 19 for people under 50. None at all. Annually, the flu kills tens of thousands of Americans, and we don't "fear" the flu. Some people are just susceptible to the flu, and the older and weaker you are, the more your odds of dying from the annual winter flu, which is also a Coronavirus.

The only difference is that the annual winter flu kills weak children and Covid 19 does not kill children in any great numbers at all. So Covid 19 is milder on people under 10 than the annual winter flu bug is.

We don't shut down the world, wear masks, socially distance for the annual winter flu bug.

The media is trying to create panic over Covid 19 to advance their agenda, by being a force multiplier for the people saying Covid 19 is an extremely deadly disease. This is a bald face lie.

I am 60 and fat, so I fall in the margin between low risk and high risk. I will get Covid 19 someday. Might as well be sooner than later. If I am going to be fine, lets get it over with. If I am going to die, then it is what it is and my family can cry over my untimely death for a while before they start having fun spending my inheritance.

I have zero fear of Covid 19. Open up already. Lets get it over and done with. Believe me, I don't want Covid 19. It is a bad pneumonia and a nasty way to go if you wind up on a respirator. Your life expectancy is short if you wind up on a respirator. I would prefer not to get it at all, but I don't want to see the US ecomony collapse and tens of millions of Americans suffering, broke, bankrupt, depress, anxious, medicating, overdosing, beating their spouses and children, and committing suicide just so I don't get a bad case of pneumonia.

OPEN UP ALREADY.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:03 AM

290 posts, read 250,474 times
I fell completely safe going out. The media has shown us there is no danger from the virus as long as you're protesting. So I quietly say: "Stop Continental Drift!" on my way across any parking lot.

You can trust your media, as they know best. As long as you have a cause, you're safe from Covid!

Old 06-19-2020, 05:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
I fell completely safe going out. The media has shown us there is no danger from the virus as long as you're protesting. So I quietly say: "Stop Continental Drift!" on my way across any parking lot.

You can trust your media, as they know best. As long as you have a cause, you're safe from Covid!
Well, now, it can't be just any cause though.

May I suggest a few? Banning the police from cities. BLM perhaps. Rioting and general mayhem and violence encouraged.

No Trump rallies or church activities though. Much too dangerous.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:31 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,422,837 times
My sister feels it's safe--she's taking a flight to Florida today. I told her that when she gets back, she needs to isolate herself for at least a week before she visits our 80-something parents. She huffed, but our parents agree with me.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:42 AM

11,521 posts, read 6,027,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post

The media has shown us there is no danger from the virus as long as you're protesting racism. If you are protesting your business being shutdown and impeding insolvency, then you are going to get Covid for sure and you must be sent home and locked down for your own protection. You won't be safe to come out until your business is liquidated. Then you can come out.

Only if you are protesting racism and Confederate statues, are you magically immune to Covid. Or if you live in the nation of CHAZ/CHOP or CCCP or whatever they are calling it this week. Changes regularly.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times
Lightbulb When wiil you feel it is safe?

When there's an effective vaccine and a proven treatment.

Until then, it's calculated risk.

Proceed with caution.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:24 AM

4,026 posts, read 1,881,674 times
The flu does not kill 500 people a day (a low estimate for Covid) at any point, ever. It is NOT a "bad pneumonia" - but more like the worst pneumonia, ever. (do

It is presently the 3rd leading cause of death in the US. Nearly all - and I mean ALL - the deaths - however old they are, whatever their health was previously - nearly ALL the deaths are caused by someone who does not fear the virus and shakes hands with strangers. There is no other way for it to get from person to person, than that one person hands it off to the next. Stop doing that.

I do not fear it in the way you think - as a young(ish) person - my odds of dying are, indeed, pretty much the same as dying of the "regular old flu" or whatever - but my odds of CATCHING IT are much greater than the flu. And it sucks, like the flu. But unlike the flu - OSHA says I'll be off work for two weeks, my spouse too, if I catch it. And that is why I avoid places where there's a decent chance of catching it, and why I also go out of my way not to give it to other people, in case I have it right now.

People not understanding this and not doing this - you are just absolutely anti-science and anti-compassion and possibly HOPING for more unemployment. Yep, I know it's not common to die. But we just finished our FIFTH guy here being "off" for several days, until the test came back negative - it's that slow - because if you have a fever - I gotta send you home. It means you should avoid even the regular flu - or anything that might cause a fever - because I check your temp every - single - day. Spike? You're out.

So whatever you are doing - to not stop illness of all kinds, let alone the 'Rona - you are only prolonging the agony.

Wash your hands. Avoid touching people. Avoid crowds or stay a few feet away when possible. Wear masks if jammed in some place - NOT for your sake, but for mine. YOU might be sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates