Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 02:52 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,888,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I have a hard time believing that I will ever vote for a candidate over 70 in a presidential primary.
That's all the regulation we need.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:03 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,217,847 times
I don't think there should be a maximum age, let the voters decide.
For what its worth, I don't think there should be a legal minimum age either that excludes some adults, I'd say 21 would be a good statutory minimum to run for president.
However, I'd think twice about voting for someone under 40 or that would be over 80 in office. If there's a 30 year old with really good ideas and a really good head on their shoulders, I'd consider it. If someone was going to go into their 80s in office but was in excellent health, I'd consider it.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:09 PM

1,158 posts, read 460,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Then if that is the case how is 35 as the minimum age not age discrimination?
I think the courts have held that minimum ages are acceptable, but that seniors can not be excluded. I can think of lots of minimum age requirements. There is voting, alcohol, cigarettes, military service and more. Can you think of a job that has a cut off for maximum age? Anyway, I am not a lawyer or law maker, so I don't now the answer. I just said it may be.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:41 PM

10,372 posts, read 10,734,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
I think the courts have held that minimum ages are acceptable, but that seniors can not be excluded. I can think of lots of minimum age requirements. There is voting, alcohol, cigarettes, military service and more. Can you think of a job that has a cut off for maximum age? Anyway, I am not a lawyer or law maker, so I don't now the answer. I just said it may be.
In Pennsylvania, judges can't run for retention and district justices can't run for reelection once they turn 70. They can still serve as a senior judge, which means they cover for other judges on an as needed basis.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:44 PM

440 posts, read 242,255 times
Such a change would require a Constitutional Amendment. Just saying...

Old 06-23-2020, 07:54 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,736,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Then if that is the case how is 35 as the minimum age not age discrimination?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
[moderator cut: Please keep your responses respectful on this forum, as per forum-specific rules. Thank you.]

This is one reason - and one reason only - that the 35-years-old minimum age for President is not and can not ever be unlawful age discrimination.

The reason:
It's in the [moderator cut] Constitution!

[moderator cut] The Supremacy Clause in Article VI? The Constitution is supreme. It trumps all laws. It trumps itself, meaning that any amendment - such as affixing new qualifications for President - supersedes any previous entries in the Constitution, with but one exception as laid out in Article V - that no state may be denied equal representation in the Senate. (there was another exception, but it had a sunset clause re the year 1808).

The Constitution could be amended to require the President to be a 17-year-old left-handed albino female Zeus-worshipper and that - by definition in the most literal sense - would be constitutional.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 06-23-2020 at 08:58 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 08:43 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,173,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
[moderator cut]

Just as the minimum age to run for president is 35, should the U.S. state that the maximum age to run for president is age 70 (they cannot turn 70 before the election). If a president turns 70 during their first term, it would make them uneligible to run for second term. Even in good health, 70 + is too old for the stress of the oval office.
[moderator cut: The age of any participant in this thread is not to be considered pertinent to the debate. Please do not ask anyone's age.]

The amount of stress that a person can tolerate is between that person and his/her physicians, and I think we all know that stress is no respecter of anyone's age anyway. Everyone of any age from babyhood onward can be susceptible to stress and we have plenty of horrific knee-jerk reaction examples throughout history of how poorly many young adults deal with even minor stress let alone with the kinds of stresses that a more experienced oldster is capable of dealing with without blinking an eye. We only need to look around us right now to see how poorly and in some cases criminally and explosively that so many young adults are dealing with the stress of lifestyle changes they've had to endure for the sake of all society during the past 4 months of global pandemic. From what I'm seeing it's the elders that are dealing with it with the most dignity, patience and wisdom.

70+ is not too old for a healthy, stable, SANE person to sit in the oval office and deal with the stresses that come with the office. And if an old person is not sane and gets put into the oval office anyway then that bad mistake is a burden that rightfully sits on the shoulders of the people who put the president there, it's got nothing to do with the age of the president.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 06-23-2020 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 08:49 PM

1,040 posts, read 439,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
That is a good question. After all why not 30 or 40?

I never read anything that mentioned the reason for 35. I wonder if it has anything to do with the founders opinions of George III?
This may help explain it:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitu...ion-1/clause-5

Old 06-23-2020, 10:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,987,805 times
I think I would support the limit to match up with social security eligibility date. And I am somewhat concerned with help but mostly concerned with making sure we can develop a bench of leaders. And if people have careers spanning too long into life - people who will be most impacted (by potential lifetime) by the legislation won’t have an opportunity to impact it.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:26 AM

30,323 posts, read 11,955,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
[moderator cut: Please keep your responses respectful on this forum, as per forum-specific rules. Thank you.]

This is one reason - and one reason only - that the 35-years-old minimum age for President is not and can not ever be unlawful age discrimination.

The reason:
It's in the [moderator cut] Constitution!

That is why we have the amendment process for the constitution. I was not arguing if it was constitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates