Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 07:38 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,257,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
There are people in their 80's (even 90's) who are more knowledgeable and sharper than people half their age. They obviously have a lot more experience as well.

I always find it strange how those who think discrimination against someone based on race, religion, or gender (now even sexual orientation) are ok with discrimination based on age.

A person should be judged on their individual capabilities, not some arbitrary age limit.

`
It’s rare that an American in their 80s or 90s is sharp in the brain at that age. It’s just reality and any doctor would tell you that. A million things start to go wrong, and being in charge of the country at an advanced age is ridiculous.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:00 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,711,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
If only we had some system where the populace could decide on whether or not a candidate is too old.

Like, you know ... voting ...

Oh.

Wait.
So I guess.......age discrimination.......is ok in certain cases?

Old 06-21-2020, 11:00 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,033,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No taxation without representation, right? Can't vote, can't pay taxes. At least they don't need to worry about being drafted by someone they haven't voted for, right?

Aren't a net tax payer then you don't vote, it's an easy solution. It might not be the most fair option but we can no longer allow societies leaches to vote. Look where this has gotten us. There would have to be a way to ensure that leaches still have some representation because they should become 100% irrelevant because they are still people with value and the possibility to raise themselves up, but they have no business dictating how much money should come from my check or what I can do with my life when I am self sustaining.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:27 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,888,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Aren't a net tax payer then you don't vote, it's an easy solution. It might not be the most fair option but we can no longer allow societies leaches to vote. Look where this has gotten us. There would have to be a way to ensure that leaches still have some representation because they should become 100% irrelevant because they are still people with value and the possibility to raise themselves up, but they have no business dictating how much money should come from my check or what I can do with my life when I am self sustaining.
Why stop there? What not only titled land holders get to vote? Bring back the aristocracy!

Old 06-21-2020, 11:32 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,617,119 times
I am sure such a law will be enacted as we rapidly approach November 3
Somehow I don’t think this conversation is about joe
And the well being of the president is not the focus of the post

Old 06-22-2020, 01:52 AM

6,382 posts, read 2,949,675 times
[moderator cut of quoted post that has been deleted]

People always underestimate Bernie. He was an excellent small city mayor, a congressman, and a senator. I think he's wrongheaded on some issues, but he has always seemed to care about the working class and until recently he eschewed identity politics. H'e still mentally sharp. No age limit should be instituted. Let the voters decide.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 06-22-2020 at 05:43 AM..

Old 06-22-2020, 05:41 AM

4,121 posts, read 1,902,178 times
Just a reminder for all who choose to post in this thread or elsewhere in the Great Debates forum. Please acquaint yourselves with the forum-specific rules posted at the top of this forum as a sticky. https://www.city-data.com/forum/grea...forum-all.html

Quoted from the Administrator's rules: There will be no tolerance for insulting other posters, personal attacks on politicians or others, and trolling.

Debate the issue of whether or not there should be a maximum age to run for President. Do not use the topic to launch into attacks on politicians you don't like in the form of speculation on their physical or mental state.

Thank you.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:26 AM

30,324 posts, read 11,955,581 times
62 should be the cutoff. If they make it through 2 terms that puts them around 70 when then finish up. That is enough. Sure someone might be able to do the job past 70. But its hard to determine if they really still have it. Better to get some younger blood in there. We are looking at two guys running now that will be at least 78 by the time they leave office. Biden would be 86 after 2 terms in the White House. 86!

As far as the minimum age make it 21. If you can buy a drink, be sent off to battle, why not run for President? Let the voters decide if you are too young.

And to add to that term limits of one term for everyone except POTUS. And you need to complete your term to run for another office. What other occupation do you get to look for a new job for a year or two full time while still being paid by your old job? In this case you are being paid by taxpayers, what a scam. Being a politician should not be someone's life work. Do your public service for a few years and before and after do something productive. This would also cut down on the rampant corruption I believe goes on daily.

When I look at the Pelosi, McConnell, Trump, Biden and all the other cast of characters in Washington and how Washington does not function for the people. It functions great of you want to be there for life and your purpose is to get reelected.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-22-2020 at 06:34 AM..

Old 06-22-2020, 07:48 AM

15,223 posts, read 10,395,165 times
I agree that the cut-off age should be 70 years old. Biden is 77, Bernie is 78; as far as I'm concerned that is too old for the stress that comes with being president.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:55 AM

10,372 posts, read 10,734,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I disagree and I don't like elderly Presidents but age is just a number but not a true medical age of a person. With medical science people should be able to live longer and healthier lives. Today 70 is the new 50 and and 60 is the new 40.

20-30 years ago, most people don't live past 70 that's why social security was designed to give people only a few years of retirement support but now most people are outliving social security's projections.
Average life expectancy has not changed that much over the past 20-30 years. Social Security was established in 1935. Life expectancy at birth in the early decades of the 20th century was low due mainly to high infant mortality. So it is not that people are living longer, the difference is infant mortality is lower, which results in a higher average. In 1990, average life expectancy was 75.4. In 2000, average life expectancy was 76.8. The current life expectancy for the U.S. in 2020 is 78.93 years.

I don't think people in their 80s should be serving as President, but I don't think we need to change the Constitution. The election process will put most older people at a disadvantage, but I don't think it makes sense to have a cutoff age that might eliminate an exceptional candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
I respect disagree. The average age of death of an American male is currently 76. You are suggesting that people today live 20 years longer than they did in 1990. 30 years ago, the average age of death for an male in the U.S. was 71. In 30 years, the needle has moved just 5 years. Either way, most people in their 70s have physical ailments that are just a natural part of getting old. [moderator edit]
The current life expectancy for the U.S. in 2020 is 78.93 years. Thirty years ago, it was 75.4. In 30 years, it has increased 3.5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It's true, people are living longer today than they did 20-30 years ago. 20-30 years ago would be the years 1990-2000 and it was quite common for many - if not most - people to live well into their 70's and even into their 80's.
People are living slightly longer today than 20-30 years ago. It makes more sense to look at the life expectancy for older people and not at life expectancy at birth. For people who are 65, the life expectancy in 1990 was 17.2 years. In 2017, average life expectancy for someone age 65 was 19.4 years, an increase of 2.2 years. See https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2018/004.pdf for additional stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates