Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 12:54 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Whenever I turn on Fox News it is a bunch of people yelling at each other and out of scale graphs. When I turn on CNN it typically seems to be a person out in the world.

When I read Washington Post, I see a relatively nonpartisan take on things. Editorials feel clearly marked, and they have liberal and conservative columnists. I don't feel like that is too far off the mark of what the mainstream thinks. Same with NBC. I don't really peruse Washington Times.

I think Politico and The Hill are good examples of slanted coverage that feels accurate. Neither feels far out into left or right field.
I guess we'd need to know which Fox shows you watch on these rare occasions. What "I see" when it's MSNBC is 2-5 folks of varying leftiness all agreeing with each other. Unless they have a "NeverTrumper" on to represent the other side.

the televised Task Force briefings were a great show for "truth in reporting". The "middle of the road" reporters respectfully asked salient questions, though invariably they often seemed to be "why are you doing this wrong?" (not even, "have we made mistakes? what could we do better?") The CNN, PBS, MSNBC were more interested in soundbite than truth. The Fox guy asked decent questions. The OAN folks pandered to Trump.

Just go back to April 24th. Scientist from the lab reports at length about the various ways of killing COVID virus. Find a news outlet that reported that part in detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 12:54 PM

9,982 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Trump is not a conservative at all. He is an amoeba with no values. His values align with whatever he thinks will get him attention, and ego boost, and maybe votes. You can't use one example for a scale, period.
Is that so? Then why does the left oppose him at every turn instead of trying to flatter the shapeless amoeba into enacting their policy priorities?

Old 07-06-2020, 01:24 PM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Quote:
Trump is not a conservative at all. He is an amoeba with no values. His values align with whatever he thinks will get him attention, and ego boost, and maybe votes. You can't use one example for a scale, period.
Trolls are hungry but I don't feed them.

Thanks for playing.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
That NYT editor screwed up because he didn't bother to read the editorial before it was published - which was his job to do. They said the editorial didn't meet their guidelines. They probably needed to add a disclaimer, add some clarifications, or link to more sources. The whole thing could have been mitigated with pro. per process - which was entirely in his responsibility.

In my opinion, the proper thing to do in this situation was to publish the editorial - with whatever mods needed to meet the editorial standards, and add a comment, note, counter-editorial liked as well with the "why" it got published. Instead they missed the boat and had to be reactive - and that is why he lost his job.
ahhh, see - I must have missed the first version and ONLY seen the edited version.

because Dem politicians and leftist "journalists" kept repeating something about Cotton claiming "give them no quarter" as if the military would overrun the peaceful protestors .... but those words never appeared in any version I read.

Yes, he tweeted the words later about "insurrectionists, rioters, anarchists and looters"

Here's a good example for you, from WaPo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1dc_story.html

everything about Trump is leaked (supposedly). everything Biden - direct quotes, without daring to challenge anything stated s if it were fact. And then this:
Quote:
“They’re of the belief that people will get over it or if we stop highlighting it, the base will move on and the public will learn to accept 50,000 to 100,000 new cases a day,” said a former administration official in touch with the campaign.
we've been over 50K cases exactly 3 times, but haven't had anything approaching 100K.
Quote:
Polls have shown Americans growing increasingly worried about the course of the outbreak. A Gallup poll released Thursday found a new high of 65 percent of Americans saying that the coronavirus situation is getting worse — up from 48 percent the week before.
Gee, I wonder why folks think the situation is getting worse? "who" might be telling them it's worse? I wonder why cases are trending up in places like CA, Minnesota, Michigan, etc in addition to TX, FL, AZ?

and finally...
Quote:
Trump has attacked Biden for the Obama administration’s response to the 2009 H1N1 swine flu outbreak and what the former vice president said after Trump decided on Jan. 31 to ban most travel from China to stem the spread of the coronavirus.

From April 2009 to April 2010, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that there were about 12,500 deaths from the swine flu — far fewer than the 30,000 to 90,000 deaths once projected.
I thought Trump's point about H1N1 is that they were just as slow to respond, there was no "national" strategy, and when it was over, they didn't repleenish the stockpile. I might have missed something though.

But moreso .... it's the "far fewer than the 30K to 90K once projected". Yet nowhere did they choose to say "thankfully, COVID deaths have trended down for 60 days and will be well below the 1-2MM in the early predictions."

Old 07-06-2020, 01:38 PM

TX 7 day death average: May 5: 38; as of July 5: 37
FL 7 day death average: May 8: 51; as of July 5: 44
AZ 7 day death average: May 8: 27; as of July 5:31 - YES! an actual increase

Old 07-06-2020, 02:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
TX 7 day death average: May 5: 38; as of July 5: 37
FL 7 day death average: May 8: 51; as of July 5: 44
AZ 7 day death average: May 8: 27; as of July 5:31 - YES! an actual increase
I don't think the death rate tells the full story, and it is a delayed metric. Hospitalization rates are very important. And unfortunately it isn't as mild as billed. Many survivors are left with a terrible long lasting toll.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/h...survivors.html

Old 07-06-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think the death rate tells the full story, and it is a delayed metric. Hospitalization rates are very important. And unfortunately it isn't as mild as billed. Many survivors are left with a terrible long lasting toll.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/h...survivors.html
well, at least some #'s and past-illness data was provided. Until this article, I'd never seen anything beyond the "many" - which might mean 100 and might mean 30%.

Hospitalizations IS the key. Unfortunately, accurate data between a regular bed and an ICU bed is scarce if existent, and I certainly haven't seen any "average days in hospital/ICU".

this was the most troubling "data point" ...

Quote:
Dr. Chen said that Mount Sinai’s post-Covid center has referred nearly 40 percent of patients to neurologists for issues like fatigue, confusion and mental fogginess.
MANY of the effects and symptoms they describe are very common post-op or a long stay in the hospital. I've dealt with 2 parents that spent > 3 weeks (non-COVID) in the hospital, and there's surely a post-hospital cognitive issue in the early days, nevermind the muscular, nerve, and breathing that has to recover.

Now, whether Mt Sinai is being extra cautious with the neurologist referrals, no idea. But I'm not the doc and not in the habit (too much) of questioning same. If Mt Sinai is a high $ private hospital, of course they're being "cautious".

Old 07-06-2020, 05:13 PM

Sounds like when I had Pneumonia -- fatigue, confusion, and mental fogginess. I was never worried about dying.

If you are not having problems breathing, I don't understand the huge problem with Covid 19. Thr cytokine storm usually causes severe breathing difficulty. As long as that doesn't happen, either naturally or by treating early with Hydroxychloraquine with zinc, people should be OK from what I understand, (I am not a Doctor and I don't play one on TV). Most people far and away don't end up on a respirator, especially now that so many younger people without multiple co-morbidities are getting infected.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Sounds like when I had Pneumonia -- fatigue, confusion, and mental fogginess. I was never worried about dying.

If you are not having problems breathing, I don't understand the huge problem with Covid 19. Thr cytokine storm usually causes severe breathing difficulty. As long as that doesn't happen, either naturally or by treating early with Hydroxychloraquine with zinc, people should be OK from what I understand, (I am not a Doctor and I don't play one on TV). Most people far and away don't end up on a respirator, especially now that so many younger people without multiple co-morbidities are getting infected.
I have seen way too many stories like these: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nick-co...1-coronavirus/

This guy got amputated, and now he passed away today.

A few days ago I saw a twitter thread of people sharing symptoms, and it was terrible - even months later. And most of the people hadn't been in ICU. WE don't know the long term impact yet on survivors and it looks scary - even for people with no comorbidities (like the actor above).

Old 07-06-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I have seen way too many stories like these: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nick-co...1-coronavirus/

This guy got amputated, and now he passed away today.

A few days ago I saw a twitter thread of people sharing symptoms, and it was terrible - even months later. And most of the people hadn't been in ICU. WE don't know the long term impact yet on survivors and it looks scary - even for people with no comorbidities (like the actor above).

That is a horrible story and there are definitely young people getting leveled by Covid 19, and dying but their numbers are few. Very few compared to those over 75 years old.

I can't find national numbers up to date, so the number for New York City will have to suffice, being it is ground zero for Covid 19. The data below is current up to yesterday.

Deaths for ages 18-44 = 22/100,000

Deaths ages 75+ = 1,660/100,000

So 75 times higher rate of death for people over 75 than people aged 18-24.

There may be a lot of bad stories about 41 year olds, but there are 75 times more stories about 80 year olds.

Source Statista:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...new-york-city/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates