Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 10:12 PM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

Think about how it was in times past when someone said or did something others felt was an offense to god they were considered guilty of heresy and their lives were ruined or worse. Some communities and countries are using people’s words as a crime for offending others with those convicted facing loss of jobs, fines, and in some cases even time in prison. People struggled to be free from government enforced heresy laws so they may be free to express themselves without fear of punishment and now it isn’t religion but a social movement that is leading the charge for such draconian controls over the speech of others wanting to ruin people’s lives for something they said or did even decades ago and some even believe such words and actions either are a crime or should be a crime punishable by prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 04:59 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times
No.

Social disapprobation is not even remotely like using the force of the state to incarcerate, torture, and sometimes kill people over heresy.

PS - I love how the same people that wanted Colin Kaepernick hounded out of the NFL, who loved the Dixie Chicks boycott, and for whom Jane Fonda is persona non grata, have somehow convinced themselves that they stand in opposition to 'cancel culture'.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:29 AM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
No.

Social disapprobation is not even remotely like using the force of the state to incarcerate, torture, and sometimes kill people over heresy.

PS - I love how the same people that wanted Colin Kaepernick hounded out of the NFL, who loved the Dixie Chicks boycott, and for whom Jane Fonda is persona non grata, have somehow convinced themselves that they stand in opposition to 'cancel culture'.
Colin wasn’t able to perform when he was let go and hasn’t gone to a real team try out since leaving the NFL. I don’t listen to country music so I was ever a fan of the Dixie Chicks. I know all about Jane Fonda (dad was a Vietnam vet). Her career hasn’t seem to have suffered. Movies, books, exercise videos, and still a leftist radical even today. Check with comedians and some actors on if this is effecting their career. Good luck finding Jimmy Fallon. I don’t think he and others like him should be demonized. Context should be everything but the cancel culture has thrown that out the window.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:39 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Kaepernick, Dixie Chicks, and Fonda happened immediately after their action. Bringing up an act that is probably regretted now like going to a party in blackface in 1972 isn't quite the same.

We all have different views than we did 50 years ago, I certainly do. For some I regret what I did for others I just chuckle and think how stupid I was.

I will always judge people of the past by their entire body of work and not cherry pick an item here and there.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:04 PM

20,369 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Who is facing prison time due to SJWs, cancel culture, or any of that?

For most of what you're saying, I think you (anyone/hypothetical "you") have the freedom to say whatever, but not an entitlement to a platform, or employment, or to be listened to. Invite your friends to your house to listen to your crap.

You want employers FORCED to retain employees no matter what, even if they utterly violate the terms of their employment contract, and harm the company's image?

You want platforms to be FORCED to host 100% of everybody's views, with no censorship whatsoever, no matter how odious? So you think that privately owned property (whether a physical business or a website) the owners should have no say in what people say, yell, do, on their premises? That gets really ugly, really fast. And besides which, recent legislation has made websites actually liable for content posted on them. It used to be that a website's owners could shrug and say, "Not my fault, it was the user who is responsible for that." Now sites have to be responsible, because of laws passed in the last few years. So, yeah, they have to beef up moderation. And liability aside, you have to understand that it does not only work the way that would make you happy. I'm not sure you really want your wholesome family magazines forced to run stories about Mr. Leather USA just because "free speech" and everyone entitled to a platform, no matter what the owner of the platform wants. That's not how this works, and it's not how it's ever worked.

Complaining about the "court of public opinion" is just crying because you told a bad joke and nobody thought it was funny. And then finding yourself not invited to parties anymore. So of course the problem can't possibly be you, it must be a room full of people who are just way too easily offended.

Huge difference between social disapproval, and even job loss and getting a nasty reputation so that no one wants to associate with you of their own free will...and "government fines and imprisonment." At least in the USA.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
No.

No kidding!

Old 06-30-2020, 04:13 PM

7,775 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Never heard of a heresy riot.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:54 PM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
I don't know if I'd go that far, but it sure is a nasty aspect of a part of our culture from where I stand. People aren't being jailed for it (except, they are to an extent as some police officers are being locked up for what many consider perfectly reasonable uses of force in this BLM/cancel culture time, such as the recent death at the Georgia Wendy's, and for cases that will never lead to convictions), but people are losing their jobs, both in the private sector and in the government world for daring to dissent. That is troubling.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:10 AM

24,473 posts, read 17,211,031 times
I know what you are saying OP and I agree.

The mob is ruling and if you do not agree with them and their cancel culture then you are the enemy.

In 1692 we had the Salem witch trials and all it took to be tried and executed was to be accused of being a witch.

Today the word witch has evolved into racist. If you are deemed a racist by the mob then your professional and personal life is over.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:04 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Yes. It's absolutely a secular religious revival that's occurring right now. Made more dangerous by the political ideologies being worshipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates