Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 08:28 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times

Advertisements

Although it is stressful to hear or read about all the things going on plus my own worries, I still want to know....hopefully to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 02:19 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
What may be considered a kind of "trigger event" in someone's suicide could include the revelation of some terrible natural disaster or something which could easily be considered as a mirror of a nations political hopelessness. Most of our TV news is now made up of opinion pieces, group commentary, and large doses of some old fashioned propaganda. I'd think that anyone who would be severely disturbed by such exposure may be in some type of psychological dire straits already, many with an unhealthy fear of things not getting better, or at the least, suffering an overwhelming sense of personal defeat.

In my neighborhood we have an aging gent (an ex airline pilot) who watches Fox News 24/7, whenever I meet up with him he is agitated to the extent that he seems a bit unstable, his eyes are darting about as he speaks, his hands are flying in the air as he tells me of the world's end times, and how the liberals are taking us down to a hellish state of perdition, his wife usually liberates his captive audience by telling him his lunch or dinner is getting cold. She has told me that he sits for long periods just staring out the window with tears running down his cheeks, a sad man, who would be so much better off just taking a walk, I, and others worry about his mental health.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:40 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
I think it is not unusual that DH and I have different needs when it comes to news. He gets stressed when he does not know what is going on in the world whereas too much coverage stresses me. So I never have the tv on when home alone. He would always have it on when I am out.

The balance has been worse during the pandemic. We do have two televisions as well as numerous devices but I will not have any in the bedroom. The worst problem in Australia, as far as I am concerned, is that the quite successful efforts to control the virus have resulted in a degree of parochialism that is threatening our whole nation. Borders are still shut, certain premiers are demanding a month of no cases at all to open them and people are suffering emotionally and socially. I find this truly depressing whereas DH seems to be able to compartmentalise his mind. He doesn’t like it any more than me but it doesn’t affect him overall.

We have to compromise constantly. Will be better as the weather warms as right now we still like the nice spot in front of the fireplace. Soon downstairs will be a more agreeable place to be.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:08 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
I think the media has always fixated on mostly negative, headline grabbing news. They are after all, a business. No viewers equals no money coming in. There is a bombardment of news these days compared to decades ago but that's not because there is more negative news, it's just that there are so many ways to deliver the news these days. Speaking for myself, I do get tired of the same stories betting played out over and over again. I just gotta remember to keep things in perspective and not watch too much of it. Not sure if the news is contributing to depression or suicide. Suicide rates tend to fluctuate and it's hard to tell exactly what's causing it. The world has always had problems and life has always been stressful. I don't think the present day is that bad compared to most times in history.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:01 AM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times
"Although it is stressful to hear or read about all the things going on plus my own worries, I still want to know....hopefully to understand."
There is no understanding or useful discourse. The spectrum of opinions, which used to run a wide gamut, has been reduced to barbell-like extreme positions. There is no middle ground or room for anything but an extreme position.

I stopped watching all news broadcasts several years ago. I also don't watch pseudo-news and opinion shows. Immediate improvement in mental and physical health.

I dash through the headlines on wsj.com and ft.com. I only read the headlines. Gives me enough information on a broad range of topics.

I won't discuss politics or the weather with friends and family.

I think I'm happier than most of my friends and family.

Try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates