Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 07:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
English is the world's first global lingua franca, and has so much momentum it's likely to stay that way for centuries.

There's a lot to recommend English: a huge vocabulary, simple grammar, and expressive flexibility.

And then there's spelling.

Should we reform English spelling to make it phonetically consistent? That means as long as you can pronounce a word, you can spell it once you know the rules. No exceptions to memorize.

For those who would say this is impossible, Chinese provided an example of an undertaking of similar scope when it simplified its characters.

There are only two downsides to this I can see, the first being that English's loose phonetics currently allow for more verbal diversity than, say, German. English dialects and pidgins all use the same spelling, with some minor differences, yet are pronounced differently. A stricter phonetical system would privilege a single dialect.

The second downside is that many historical written works would be inaccessible to those who did not also have some familiarity with traditional English spelling. These could be translated however.

As to the upsides, they are almost too numerous to list. The main one I see is that it would make English even easier to learn as a second language and cement its status as the language of humanity for centuries if not millennia.
We can look to children's toy companies for assistance. PLAYSKOOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 01:58 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
The people who consistently spell "lose" as "loose" may be happy but will they spell it as "loze" or "looze?"

"Luze" perhaps?

Old 12-18-2020, 06:46 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I thought that this word had been in use for a while now.

Anyway, here's a thought exercise: how do you pronounce through? How do you pronounce trough? These two words differ by only one letter, yet they are pronounced rather differently. The first one would be phonetically closer to thru. The second one would be phonetically closer to troff. We already see thru used on road signs, to the extent that I believe it is considered an acceptable variant now. I'd like to see something like the second one develop, because it would be much more intuitively obvious to a non-native speaker of English. The gh letter combination could still be used for the sound as in ghost.
You could also say that "FISH" could be spelled as "GHOTI"..... GH as in rough, tough, cough, laugh.....O as in women (plural)......TI as in nation, notion, vacation, vocation.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:14 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No no! Bury doesn't rhyme with worry, what gave you that idea?
Hahaha, too funny. Tawking for 62 years gave me that idea (OK, maybe I didn't say much the first year or so.)

Quote:
We've got two vowel sounds here, "air" and "er."

Furry, worry, hurry, Murray have the "er" sound.

Barry, berry, bury, Mary, merry, marry, Harry, hairy, very, etc., have the "air" sound. All of these rhyme for most people in the West.

And despite it all we who have these mergers never get the words mixed up because they are all used in different ways in sentences. "Mary married Barry" could not possibly be construed as referring to berries or being merry.

Yes, exactly.
Another one that used to throw me reading City-Data posts was people using "Since" for "Sense" and vice-versa. I could not understand how people could mix up those two words that are spelled differently and pronounced differently, and then one day it dawned on me that some people DO pronounce them the same because of the pin/pen merger. Which drives me nuts personally, although there is nothing I can do about it, obviously. But every time I hear a supposedly trained journalist say "More to come on the Tin O'Clock News!" I grit my teeth.

Yep, context is everything and how we manage to understand one another...but it's also why phonetic English spelling will never work.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:25 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, too funny. Tawking for 62 years gave me that idea (OK, maybe I didn't say much the first year or so.)

Another one that used to throw me reading City-Data posts was people using "Since" for "Sense" and vice-versa. I could not understand how people could mix up those two words that are spelled differently and pronounced differently, and then one day it dawned on me that some people DO pronounce them the same because of the pin/pen merger. Which drives me nuts personally, although there is nothing I can do about it, obviously. But every time I hear a supposedly trained journalist say "More to come on the Tin O'Clock News!" I grit my teeth.

Yep, context is everything and how we manage to understand one another...but it's also why phonetic English spelling will never work.
Oh, the pin/pen merger drives me crazy too. I had a cousin from Indiana who spoke like that, and it's worse than other mergers because it's so easy to mix words up. "Hand me a pin." "No, not that pin, a writing pin."

Or,

"We have tin cans of sardines."

"What else would they be made of?"

"No, I mean like eight, nine, tin."

Old 12-18-2020, 03:06 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Just learn Spanish .... problem solved

Old 12-18-2020, 07:14 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
No no! Bury doesn't rhyme with worry, what gave you that idea?

We've got two vowel sounds here, "air" and "er."

Furry, worry, hurry, Murray have the "er" sound.

Barry, berry, bury, Mary, merry, marry, Harry, hairy, very, etc., have the "air" sound. All of these rhyme for most people in the West.

And despite it all we who have these mergers never get the words mixed up because they are all used in different ways in sentences. "Mary married Barry" could not possibly be construed as referring to berries or being merry.

Yes, exactly.
Wow! You listed nine words that you claim all rhyme with "airy" when only two do. What "west" are you talking about where they all have the same sound?

Berry, bury, very and merry have an "eh-ree" pronunciation (although bury is actually somewhere in between that and burry). Marry is pronounced "mah-ree" and rhymes with Barry and Harry. There's a reason these words are spelled differently and a lot of that has to do with pronunciation. Adding another "r" to very might help some, but obviously not all.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
aɪ θɪŋk ˈstændərˌdaɪzɪŋ ˈɪŋglɪʃ ˈspɛlɪŋ ɪz ə ˈhɔrəbəl aɪˈdiə. tu stɑrt wɪð, ə ˈjunəˌfɔrm fəˈnɛtɪk ˈstændərd wʊd nɑt ˌrɛprəˈzɛnt ðə ˈspoʊkən fɔrm ʌv ˈɛni ˈdaɪəˌlɛkt, ˈivɪn ʌv ðə moʊst ˈʤɛnərəl taɪp.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
aɪ θɪŋk ˈstændərˌdaɪzɪŋ ˈɪŋglɪʃ ˈspɛlɪŋ ɪz ə ˈhɔrəbəl aɪˈdiə. tu stɑrt wɪð, ə ˈjunəˌfɔrm fəˈnɛtɪk ˈstændərd wʊd nɑt ˌrɛprəˈzɛnt ðə ˈspoʊkən fɔrm ʌv ˈɛni ˈdaɪəˌlɛkt, ˈivɪn ʌv ðə moʊst ˈʤɛnərəl taɪp.
ɪf ju: ju:z ə bɹɔ:d tɹæn skɹɪp ʃən, ɪt wʊd bi: kloʊs inəf.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Wow! You listed nine words that you claim all rhyme with "airy" when only two do. What "west" are you talking about where they all have the same sound?

Berry, bury, very and merry have an "eh-ree" pronunciation (although bury is actually somewhere in between that and burry). Marry is pronounced "mah-ree" and rhymes with Barry and Harry. There's a reason these words are spelled differently and a lot of that has to do with pronunciation. Adding another "r" to very might help some, but obviously not all.
West Coast, USA. It's called the "Mary-merry-marry" merger. Did you know that only about 17% of Americans pronounce all three words differently, and over 50% pronounce them all the same?

Statistically speaking, if they are all different for you, you are probably either from the New York/New Jersey area, possibly Boston, or not from the US at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates