Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2021, 07:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
2021 has accelerated the transit of native US citizens from large metros to small metros. So, it'll be natives that move away to smaller cities largely that populate the emptier parts of the nation. Immigrants today usually flock to big cities for connection reasons. That's the case in NE Atlanta, the number of first or second generation immigrants probably outnumber 4th or beyond generation more native US inhabitants in my county. If immigration slows, the big hubs will be the first to shrink and deal with declines, outside of the tiny town rural exodus which has been happening since they invented tractors.

Although this is misleading, because white usually is classified as only white, not 50% or greater Ancestry DNA guess white. It's not that white people have stopped making babies, it's that there's a lot of mixed race couples and the racial calculus likes to put them in other buckets, like the stupid term, 'people of color', whatever that means.

People use the majority minority theme to push agendas, but what's mostly happening is just ethnic blending, which is pretty cool and goes to the point that the US is actually really darn good at integrating all sorts of various people.
It seems the flight from the big cities was not as large as projected.

https://www.axios.com/superstar-citi...stream=science

I don't know if anyone has claimed that whites have stopped making babies. I certainly haven't. All that's required for any population to decline is that they stop making babies at a rate below the threshold replacement level of 2.1.

Your claim that this is misleading doesn't make sense to me. The racial categories are from Census data where individuals choose for themselves which category they identify as. I don't understand why you say that's "misleading".

It may not be "accurate", but neither you nor me, or the Census person for that matter, is in any position to dispute the issue.

The 2020 Census gave people multiple options for selecting two or more races.

https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...lish_DI-Q1.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 09:56 AM

Presidential elections affect US fertility rates, who knew!

Quote:
Changes in political leadership drive large changes in economic optimism. We exploit the surprise 2016 election of Trump to identify the effects of a shift in political power on one of the most consequential household decisions: whether to have a child. Republican-leaning counties experience a sharp and persistent increase in fertility relative to Democratic counties: a 1.1 to 2.6 percentage point difference in annual births, depending on the intensity of partisanship. Hispanics, a group targeted by Trump, see fertility fall relative to non-Hispanics, especially compared to rural or evangelical whites. Further, following Trump pre-election campaign visits, relative Hispanic fertility declines.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w29058#fromrss

Old 08-03-2021, 11:17 AM

The link is a rebuttal of claims made by an anti-immigration group.

Quote:
The U.S. population is growing slowly and the average age of Americans is increasing as a result. Although the United States is not as old as other countries and likely to age better, the future looks demographically grim. Some social scientists and commentators think that boosting immigration can help delay or reverse those trends. Steven Camarota, director of research at the Center for Immigration Studies, makes a series of silly arguments against the notion that immigration can slow the aging of the U.S. population. Camarota’s points below are in quotes and my responses follow.

https://www.cato.org/blog/immigratio...lation-decline

Old 08-11-2021, 09:01 AM

Kinda like climate change, arriving faster than previously predicted.....

Quote:
The number of white people in the United States is expected to show a decline in the latest U.S. Census Bureau data for the first time since the census' inception, Erica Pandey writes, based on reporting by the Washington Post.

The big picture: If this projection is borne out by the census data — set to be released this week — it will mean the white decline has come around eight years earlier than experts predicted, William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, told the Post.

The U.S. population is expected to show just 7.4% growth in the last decade — the slowest in history, except for the 1930s. The bulk of the growth is from people of color.

Hispanic people are projected to account for half of the population growth.
The share of Asians in the U.S. is expected to jump from 3% in 2010 to 6% in 2020. The share of Black people holds steady at 12.5%.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:55 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
It seems the flight from the big cities was not as large as projected.

https://www.axios.com/superstar-citi...stream=science

I don't know if anyone has claimed that whites have stopped making babies. I certainly haven't. All that's required for any population to decline is that they stop making babies at a rate below the threshold replacement level of 2.1.

Your claim that this is misleading doesn't make sense to me. The racial categories are from Census data where individuals choose for themselves which category they identify as. I don't understand why you say that's "misleading".

It may not be "accurate", but neither you nor me, or the Census person for that matter, is in any position to dispute the issue.

The 2020 Census gave people multiple options for selecting two or more races.

https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...lish_DI-Q1.pdf
Yeah the census seems to allow people to mark what they are pretty good. I think the issue is when people try to aggregate up and put people in just one bucket.

I'm not sure what will happen to large cities, people are going back, but some people haven't left yet either, just waiting for a better market to jump than right now.
Quote:
Kinda like climate change, arriving faster than previously predicted.....
I think people and the 'system' have yet to update their internal assumptions with things like labor shortages, shrinking college enrollments etc... My guess is that immigration is going to pick up after a couple years here.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:21 PM

Where the changes happened. 52% of counties lost population, as natives and immigrants moved to the cities. 86% now live in "urban areas".

Quote:
“More than three-quarters, 77.9%, of the U.S. population were age 18 and over,” said Andrew Roberts, chief of the Sex and Age Statistics Branch in the Census Bureau’s Population Division. “The adult population grew faster than the nation as a whole. By comparison, the population under age 18 was 73.1 million in 2020, a decline of 1.4% from the 2010 Census.
As the current under 18 population ages, they will face increasing taxes to support their retired parents, or the parents will suffer reduced benefits.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:19 PM

The US could increase its legal population by 9M in thirty minutes...........well maybe 45.....and fill some of those jobs for which there currently are no qualified applicants.

Quote:
An unimaginably large backlog has developed in America’s legal immigration system. Between agency delays and low green card caps, about 9 million immigrants are awaiting green cards, which denote legal permanent residence status in the United States and eventually would permit naturalization to U.S. citizenship. If Congress does not reform the immigration system, hundreds of thousands of these legal immigrants could die waiting for their chance to become U.S. citizens.

Since 2009, the State Department has annually published a document called, “Annual Report of Immigrant Visa Applicants in the Family‐​sponsored and Employment‐​based preferences Registered at the National Visa Center.” Throughout this time, the number of immigrants “registered at the national visa center” has hovered between 3.5 and 4.6 million, and it has actually decreased in recent years. But this number—which is often cited as the definitive estimate of the green card backlog—is just one slice of the much larger number of immigrants going through the green card process.

The first issue is that the State Department report includes only immigrants being processed at consulates and embassies abroad and so does not include immigrants with applications pending at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to adjust to legal permanent residence from some other status inside the United States. This is an issue that I’ve noted in prior reports on the green card backlog. The second issue is that it excludes all immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (spouses, minor children, and parents) who are not subject to numerical limits but who nonetheless have green card applications pending.

But the third issue is much larger and less transparent. The State Department report only includes immigrants whose relatives or employers have had petitions approved on the immigrant’s behalf. Not counting pending petitions always seemed logical to me since they aren’t technically in the line until they’re approved. The problem is that the backlog of pending petitions is now into the millions of people because the government is just not processing them. For example, USCIS says that it is currently processing petitions filed for adult children of U.S. citizens from 2010.

https://www.cato.org/blog/family-emp...eeds-9-million

Old 09-30-2021, 02:03 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Where the changes happened. 52% of counties lost population, as natives and immigrants moved to the cities. 86% now live in "urban areas".

Which is exactly the plan, herd everyone into urban areas; as it makes us much easier to manage.
Then open the borders, as someone needs to wash the dishes at our restaurants and such; and there's a bonus.
Because being a dishwasher in America is better than starving in Venezuela, the Dems create a more solid voting base.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:40 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Which is exactly the plan, herd everyone into urban areas; as it makes us much easier to manage.
Then open the borders, as someone needs to wash the dishes at our restaurants and such; and there's a bonus.
Because being a dishwasher in America is better than starving in Venezuela, the Dems create a more solid voting base.
Whereas people ARE going onto urban areas, I don't believe it is any sort of plan. It is happening without direction, and it is happening all over the world.

The borders are open and I think the idea in Washington is to find a way to citizenship for immigrants if possible. If not, the children of immigrants will become citizens anyway. Dems hops these new citizens will become Dems.
The bad news for Dems is that the very poorest of people vote in very small numbers.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Whereas people ARE going onto urban areas, I don't believe it is any sort of plan. It is happening without direction, and it is happening all over the world.
Exactly. Yet some people still think that this is all at the direction of the (((globalists)))*

*Zionist Occupational Government

as outlined by the Protocols of the Elders of Zion

While that sounds absolutely wild, the resurgence of this idea is actually quite mainstream as you can see here in Tucker Carlson's report which he gives with a straight (albeit somewhat confused looking) face.

Tucker Carlson Defends Great Replacement Theory, Tells Anti-Defamation League to [redacted]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEIeT0OtBM0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates