Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 02:00 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Are you seriously asking for cars to become less sophisticated?

Hey, while we're at it, why don't we eliminate air bags, circuitry, catalytic converters, ABS, and a host of other must-haves all packed into a car. All so your brother doesn't have to invest in new equipment and training to keep up with consumer demand.
I'd love to have a late model car without those useless to me things. It's all very costly garbage regulated by the government that weighs the vehicle down and that will eventually fail, or gets in the way of the pure, mechanical and analog connection with the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 08:26 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'd love to have a late model car without those useless to me things. It's all very costly garbage regulated by the government that weighs the vehicle down and that will eventually fail, or gets in the way of the pure, mechanical and analog connection with the vehicle.

All that 'costly garbage' bolted on actually has resulted in cars that last longer, thanks. Do you remember the old General Motors credo of making cars that died about the time you made the last car payment?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/w...r-for-decades/

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 03-15-2021 at 09:11 AM..

Old 03-15-2021, 09:35 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There could be a point where no one owns a car. There would be no reason. Perhaps more remote areas where there would be no way to have vehicles waiting for drivers. Most vehicles people own are parked at least 20 hours a day. Makes more sense to have less vehicles but use them more. Plus in lots of cities parking is a big issue. It would open up the streets. Traffic would flow better.
I'm not sure if you are being tongue-in-cheek or if you're serious. Mussolini made the trains run on time, after all. If all you wanted out of life was trains running on schedule then Mussolini was your guy.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:01 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
While my auto mechanic brother was visiting me recently, who has his own shop, told me of the "horror" stories of trying to repair these new high-tech gadgetry cars. He has to continually renew his certification, take classes, buy more tools every year, to keep up with being able to repair these new cars.

My brother claims that these car makers are making cars that only a dealer can fix, and I hear more average auto mechanics are leaving the field as a result of it.

My brother, true or false, thinks the Government is behind a great deal of it, all designed to make us feel safer, and safer for others.

And to repair some of these cars today, you may end up crying all the way to the bank, and is this necessary? Do we need all these new options on cars?

I can picture these high tech workers at GM, for instance, under pressure to come up with newer and newer gimmicks every year, or lose their jobs?

At what point do we say, enough is enough is enough! No more, no more!

I'm still hanging on to my 1985 Toyota for dear life, as I'm terrified of the idea of buying a new car, and then can't afford to get it fixed. How these lower income workers are able to afford expensive repairs bills is beyond me!
This is a very provocative post. Well done!

So, you want more Gov't controls over the auto industry? Interesting.

Have you any clue as to how many different rules/laws & reg's that an auto maker must adhere to?

Things nobody thinks about, things like head lamps. There are DOT reg's for distance apart, or distance from the ground, or brightness, or durability, or kelvin temp, or lumens, or watts. (And many more.)

Yup, just for head lamps. (And don't get me started on brake/tail lamps...)

Talk about a can-'o-worms!

Remember this~ Every level of Gov't, is filled with stupid, unemployable buffoons, that can't get/keep a job in the private sector. They simply can't hack it.

Every
Single
One of 'em.

But, buffoons need $$ too, to pay bills, so there are "Gov't" jobs.

Realize this, and you can see what I mean.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:04 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
All that 'costly garbage' bolted on actually has resulted in cars that last longer, thanks. Do you remember the old General Motors credo of making cars that died about the time you made the last car payment?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/w...r-for-decades/
That's not true. None of those feature make the car last longer but less long. What makes cars last longer besides electronic fuel and ignition control was improving component quality and advances in fluids.

You're own link while not entirely accurate never mentions any of the features that are "garbage". It mentions mostly fundamental mechanical changes that were made at least 20-30 years ago. Cars 20 or 30 years ago were more durable than today.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:06 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would not be surprised if that were true...with self driving cars eventually coming onto the market, those will put auto repair and especially collision repair companies out of business, they could be trying to make all they can in the years they have left, before their industry vanishes.
Huh?

Self-driving =/= self-repairing!

Old 03-16-2021, 07:28 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
The Technocrats of the 1930's said: Trust us! We'll make your lives much easier and more comfortable!

All goes smoothly until there's a cyberattack or one these gadgets goes haywire!

When I read about Tesla's car, which are nothing more than computers, some hackers are going to have fun some day!

I never take my 1985 Toyota Supra out for a long-distance drive, fearing if it does break down, it would take too long for the parts to arrive, so I rent a car which can be a very intimidating experience. All those buttons on the steering wheel, what are they for, and I dare not test them out. For all I know, one of those buttons could be the emergency brake!

Thanks for all the interesting pro and con posts!

Old 03-19-2021, 01:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Huh?

Self-driving =/= self-repairing!
For self driving vehicles to eventually go mainstream, and maybe even mandatory at some point...vehicles will have to get MUCH more reliable...basically to the point where mechanical problems and wrecks are a rarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates