Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 09:53 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

It's not the gov't, it's consumers. They are driving the addition of more and more electronics into these automobiles, as all these electric gizmos sell. For every 1 person saying "I don't need a car with nanny aides" there are 10 people saying "take my money".

The vehicle technology itself isn't radically changing. Suspensions are, for the most part, the same, brake system technology hasn't really advanced much, cv axles, driveshafts, differentials, transfer cases, etc. Still pretty much the same. Engine look imposing, but under all that plastic is still the same 4 or 6cyl OHC engine that's been in use since the 1980s. The biggest change is ditching the distributor and going with coil-on-plug tech.

But mechanicals aside, the major change is the computers. Cars are now all computerized in the sense that they no longer function by relays and simple circuits, but rather my microcontrollers and various other modules interacting. The modules all have various firmware written on them based on the vehicle they are in, so if you are to switch a module out, you need to add the code. This really isn't rocket science as your average 13-year old kid bulding a 3D printer in their bedroom is doing essentially the same thing. Chrysler and GM are still making pushrod v8's, with Ford just introducing a pushrod 7.3L recently. That's 50+ year old tech right there still under the hood of modern cars.

The main issue with vehicle repairs is that now you do need a background in computers to make some of these repairs. A steering rack used to require swapping two hydraulic hoses and you were done. Now, with the modern EPAS steering, you need to hook up your computer to pull data from the module, swap the rack, and then program the new module when done.

SO you really do need someone who is capable of turning wrenches, and knows their way around a computer. I hate to generalize, but many mechanics out there just aren't capable of that.

I do my own repairs, even on my new cars. I'm a gearhead by nature, so restoring old cars and rebuilding engines is something I've always done. Older cars are simple. But, I also have a background in engineering. Perhaps that's why I don't look at new cars the same way. I can hook up my laptop and have so much control and ability in terms of data I can pull, changes I can make to programming, and the troubleshooting ability I have before I even pop the hood. Troubleshooting old cars requires some old-school troubleshooting techniques, but these new cars are just leaps and bounds easier if you know how to use the technology to your advantage.

Mechanics won't be going away, but they need to evolve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 12:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Auto manufacturers aren't making cars for independent garage owners. They're making cars for consumers.

Years ago I took my GM SUV in for the yearly Virginia inspection. I chose a "private garage" that did about half of their business on car inspections. They said they couldn't inspect my car because it required a special wrench to reach something. So they turned away all GM SUVs. So I went to the dealer and they did the inspection. I asked them about it, and they just laughed. The mechanic said, "They could buy the wrench for about $7. Guess they just don't want the business".
An independent shop told me they didn’t have the specs for an alignment on my Dodge Journey. Odd I thought. Told him they had done an alignment for me the year before. Click. Ok fine off to the dealership I went. Turns out I didn’t even need an alignment. A link broke and needed replacing. Dealership got that money. Not even the dealership I bought it from. They had no problem taking my money.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It depends:
In keyless entry cars, when armed with the scanning and booster devices, thieves can be gone in as little as 10 seconds. (and keyless ignition can be less expensive for the automaker to produce).
The security experts said it takes about 2.5 minutes to steal a car without keyless entry.
However, when the key fobs are inactive or in sleep mode, it was almost impossible to steal the cars.

But there are other cons related to keyless entry/push button start. Keyless-ignition systems pose an overlooked risk because sometimes, the driver fails to switch the car off or doesn't realize it's still running. When that happens inside a garage, the results can turn serious.
As cars become more appliance-like and drivers become less and less engaged with how cars work, the risk of problems like this only becomes more likely.
I’ve had a fob and keyless remote entry on my last 3 vehicles. It was impossible to leave the engine running and not know it. If you open the door with the car running an alarm goes off nonstop until you close the door. That alarm sound only went off when the vehicle was running and the door open. The vehicle will also only stay running for a set period of time before it turns off with the fob removed. My current vehicle automatically turns off after 10 minutes unless the fob is in the vehicle. It also knows if someone is in the vehicle and where.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:31 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It depends:

But there are other cons related to keyless entry/push button start. Keyless-ignition systems pose an overlooked risk because sometimes, the driver fails to switch the car off or doesn't realize it's still running. When that happens inside a garage, the results can turn serious.
As cars become more appliance-like and drivers become less and less engaged with how cars work, the risk of problems like this only becomes more likely.
And yes, I did that once, thankfully not for long, and since then always lean back in after I get out of the car and look at the button. It's an ingrained habit with me now. The other solution for me now -- which is better, and I need to start doing it -- is that if you hit the door lock on the key fob, the honk is different if the car is still running.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:33 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I’ve had a fob and keyless remote entry on my last 3 vehicles. It was impossible to leave the engine running and not know it. If you open the door with the car running an alarm goes off nonstop until you close the door. That alarm sound only went off when the vehicle was running and the door open. The vehicle will also only stay running for a set period of time before it turns off with the fob removed. My current vehicle automatically turns off after 10 minutes unless the fob is in the vehicle. It also knows if someone is in the vehicle and where.
The question is how reliable is that. My car has the feature that when you stop (for example at a stop light), the car shuts off and then restarts when you hit the pedal. I have the option of turning that feature off. I hate it and think it's stupid. But it also doesn't work all the time.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:11 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The least they can do is make it easier to change a headlamp. I'm not surprised to see cars running around without a headlamp today, as it can be very costly just to change a headlamp. I can still change mine for $10 with a Phillips screwdriver.

I don't buy the argument about keyless ignition cars being more theft-proof. I worked with a nurse whose dog chewed up her Fob and, being a Lexus. it cost her $800 to replace it. I can still get copies of my car key for $5.

I'm not exactly sure if the Gov't is really responsible for all these "advances", I believe the "guilt" is split between car manufacturers and the Gov't. And where is it all going to end?

I used to worry about buying parts for my older 1985 Toyota Supra, but I found a mechanic shop here in Tucson who told me they'll always find parts for it and they said they'd keep my car on the road for the next 20 years.

There's an entrepreneur, who's now become a billionaire, featured in Fortune magazine, who's capitalizing on those who are averse to buying a new car and he's been combing junkyards around the country and bringing old cars back to life for resale.
Most cars now only require a bulb change to replace a headlight. Bulbs also last longer. I haven't replaced a headlight on my 4Runner in 11 years. The headlight bulbs also produce better light than the old sealed beam lights, and have better reflectors with sharp cutoffs.

All keys today have a chip in them that has to be recognized by the car for it to start, not just the keyless fobs.

Overall, cars are jus tbetter today. More reliable, better built, safer in a crash, etc.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:09 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would not be surprised if that were true...with self driving cars eventually coming onto the market, those will put auto repair and especially collision repair companies out of business, they could be trying to make all they can in the years they have left, before their industry vanishes.
I think the future is self driving cars with little private vehicle ownership. Uber or whoever will pick you, drop you off and return for you later. When you take out the human driver the cost shuttling people around will be low. Especially when they are EV's. Some of the latest EV ideas have few moving parts and really little maintenance. There will be little for mechanics to work on in the future. And if its a large amount of vehicles owned by Uber or whoever they will have in house mechanics to do the repairs. Most of the problems will probably be software related.

So I think the days of the neighborhood mechanic are numbered.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:33 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm not exactly sure if the Gov't is really responsible for all these "advances", I believe the "guilt" is split between car manufacturers and the Gov't. And where is it all going to end?
If you think "the Government" is behind these nefarious advances in automobile technology then who is going to "Control" the manufacturers, as you asked in your thread title?

Old 03-12-2021, 12:38 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I think the future is self driving cars with little private vehicle ownership. Uber or whoever will pick you, drop you off and return for you later. When you take out the human driver the cost shuttling people around will be low.

So I think the days of the neighborhood mechanic are numbered.

OK that scenario begs the question: When a driverless Uber is going to pick up a passenger, will out of work auto mechanics and former Uber drivers take pot shots at them? Using whatever, stones, wrist rockets, etc.?

What will the penalty be for interfering with an unmanned automobile?

When will it become illegal to own and drive a car?

Old 03-12-2021, 12:58 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
OK that scenario begs the question: When a driverless Uber is going to pick up a passenger, will out of work auto mechanics and former Uber drivers take pot shots at them? Using whatever, stones, wrist rockets, etc.?
Some say things will work themselves out. That as things have advanced over the past 120 years or new jobs appear that take the place of the older ones. Others say there will be millions and millions of newly unemployed. We could keep creating more money and support all of them as they sit at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
What will the penalty be for interfering with an unmanned automobile?

When will it become illegal to own and drive a car?

There could be a point where no one owns a car. There would be no reason. Perhaps more remote areas where there would be no way to have vehicles waiting for drivers. Most vehicles people own are parked at least 20 hours a day. Makes more sense to have less vehicles but use them more. Plus in lots of cities parking is a big issue. It would open up the streets. Traffic would flow better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates