Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 01:52 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times

Advertisements

School districts give the days off they do largely because there would be so many kids out anyway, that they just make it a holiday. This is largely regional. For example, there are school districts in rural Pennsylvania that have the first day of hunting season off. The public school district I went to had all of the Jewish holidays off because there was a large enough Jewish population that the number of kids who would have been out would have been substantial.

There are actually 11 national holidays. No company is obligated or forced to give you any of them off or close down on those days.

The one day I would like to see made a national holiday, with mandatory days or time off, is election day. Having to work should not be a barrier to voting. And with absentee voting and mail-in ballots being made harder to do and get, and early voting windows becoming shorter, and polling locations closing causing hours long waits, voting is becoming prohibitively difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 01:53 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Canada already celebrates a Queens Birthday, but not the one you think.

Even people in the UK scratch their heads as to why Canada celebrates Queen Victoria's birthday on the Monday before the 24th of May, her actual birthday. Except of course Quebec which celebrates Journée nationale des patriotes .

However we COULD add another one to the first Tuesday in August to extend the weekend even further.

Mightyqueen Day.

In all seriousness though I really think the US is missing out on Boxing Day. Yes a lot take it off, but knowing that it is a stat makes can really work in some peoples favour.

For example. This year Christmas Day falls on a Saturday, and Boxing Day on a Sunday. So when I was working, since those two stats fell on the weekend we would get four days off.

Even in other years, having the day off after Christmas gives people time to relax after what is usually a hectic time. Or, many people have a party for friends that day. Christmas for family, Boxing Day with friends.

I'm assuming that in the US since Christmas is on a Saturday this year, people are given the Monday as a paid day off day??
I worked all my life for a public authority, so when Christmas fell on Saturday, we got Friday off, and when it fell on Sunday, we got Monday off. Not sure how the private sector handles it.

I'm all for Boxing Day. I too am surprised it didn't catch on here. Many people take the day off anyway.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:56 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
School districts give the days off they do largely because there would be so many kids out anyway, that they just make it a holiday. This is largely regional. For example, there are school districts in rural Pennsylvania that have the first day of hunting season off. The public school district I went to had all of the Jewish holidays off because there was a large enough Jewish population that the number of kids who would have been out would have been substantial.

There are actually 11 national holidays. No company is obligated or forced to give you any of them off or close down on those days.

The one day I would like to see made a national holiday, with mandatory days or time off, is election day. Having to work should not be a barrier to voting. And with absentee voting and mail-in ballots being made harder to do and get, and early voting windows becoming shorter, and polling locations closing causing hours long waits, voting is becoming prohibitively difficult.
Where I worked--again, a public authority--on Election Day we were entitled to either come in late up to four hours after the opening of the polls or leave early up to four hours before the closing of the polls in order to be able to vote. Since many of us where I worked lived in one state and worked in another and as a result had long commutes, that was fair.

I remember my niece in Pennsylvania getting off school the first day of hunting season. That wouldn't likely ever be a national holiday, though.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:07 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
ELection Day.
Oh yes...definitely yes. Make this a national holiday before anything else.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:45 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
If election day (first Tuesday in November) was a national holiday, a lot of people would take Monday off and leave town. Forget about voting!

Of course, they could vote absentee. But absentee voting makes "election day" kind of meaningless. I vote in every election, but haven't voted on election day in years.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:32 AM

602 posts, read 505,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
If election day (first Tuesday in November) was a national holiday, a lot of people would take Monday off and leave town. Forget about voting!
That's why instead of making Election Day a holiday I think it should be moved to the weekend.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:28 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
That's why instead of making Election Day a holiday I think it should be moved to the weekend.
A weekend wouldn't really be feasible. I can't speak for Christians and what they may or may not do on their Sabbath on Sunday, but many Jews on our Sabbath on Saturday are not permitted to use electronic devices. So that rules out electronic voting machines. I'm not even certain whether voting by any other means would be permissible for us on the Sabbath.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:08 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

Of course, they could vote absentee. But absentee voting makes "election day" kind of meaningless. I vote in every election, but haven't voted on election day in years.
States differ on the degree of absentee voting permitted. Everyone is not as lucky as you are.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:11 AM

1,156 posts, read 941,209 times
Fridays

Old 05-19-2021, 12:03 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I think that September 11th should have been a "national day of mourning", and should have started that following year, and shame on America for not doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates