Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 03:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times

Advertisements

The argument: Black people need spaces of their own. Why not change the name from HBCU to HCU if you are going to allow non-blacks there?

DISCLAIMER: This is a paraphrase of a tweet.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:52 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Aside from the apparent violation of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act if the school is receiving federal funding*, isn't the idea of higher education to try to broaden one's horizons. I would assert that the chance to personally interact with a diverse student body is a good way to do this, rather than students learning about people who are different from sources that may have an agenda to push and who push disinformation. I think it's good if students can learn from others who may not be from their same racial group, religion, socioeconomic background, country of origin, etc.? Isn't this a valuable part of having a well rounded educational experience in addition to the subject matter that is learned?

And I would hope that the non-black students would be welcomed there? As a personal testimonial, I know of a white person who went to nursing school at a HBCU and felt extremely welcomed there. I hope that's the case overall just as I hope it would be the case for a black student or student from another minority group to feel welcomed at a university where the majority of the student body was Caucasian.

* https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/li...ce-origin.html

Putting all kinds of legal and ethical issues aside, it seems like such a move would be limiting those educational experiences and exchanges of information by saying only one racial group is going to be admitted.

Last edited by Jowel; 07-05-2021 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-06-2021, 09:59 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Do they have to take a DNA test to prove they are 100% African?

Because that will get rid of almost all the blacks. Since almost all african Americans are part white.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:05 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
For those, like myself, who does not know what HBCU means, it stands for Historically Black College or University.

https://sites.ed.gov/whhbcu/one-hund...-universities/

Old 07-07-2021, 07:20 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Admitting non-Blacks today doesn't change the status of the schools from Historically Black. It doesn't re-write history. Whoever tweeted that wasn't thinking straight. It sounds like an agenda-driven tweet.

Moving on...

Old 07-07-2021, 08:13 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
The emphasis does need to be on the word "historically". And as I said, I am paraphrasing a tweet (that I didn't necessarily agree with). I thought it would be a good debate.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:43 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,148 times
What is there to debate? Just like some whites, some black people are advocating for auto segregation. Others do not agree with this.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:20 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
The argument: Black people need spaces of their own. Why not change the name from HBCU to HCU if you are going to allow non-blacks there?

Black people HAVE space of their own. It is called Africa. I am only confused, why they are escaping it at the first opportunity.
Also, strongly advise to read up on how Liberia was founded and prospered. That was another space.

Matthew 7:15-20

Old 07-10-2021, 03:53 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Black people HAVE space of their own. It is called Africa. I am only confused, why they are escaping it at the first opportunity.
Also, strongly advise to read up on how Liberia was founded and prospered. That was another space.

Matthew 7:15-20
The continent of Africa is not a "space." There are numerous sovereign nations within Africa and they are not all friendly to each other. They are not even all predominantly ruled by Black people. And, while Liberia was intended to serve as a sanctuary for America's former enslaved Black people, it was not exactly a paradise. The indigenous people already living there were not accepting of the newcomers.

And let us not forget that there was (and still is) a racist-driven movement in the United States that would like nothing better than to send all American Blacks "back to Africa." The irony is that there are many Black Americans whose ancestry reaches farther back in this country than that of many White Americans of relatively recent 19th and 20th century immigrant ancestry.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:56 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post

Black people do not need a space of their own; no race does.
You cannot fight racism by creating a new kind of racism.

HBCU's should accept whomever they wish to accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates