Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 04:15 PM

884 posts, read 357,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The dumbing down of science the tainting of science ... is it not true that science and the results is the refinement of everyday thinking? Is science just for the scientist? within a specific discipline?

While you say politicians administer the dumbing down, in fact, the complexity of science is made 'complicated' by politicians and the media? making it harder to comprehend, while science makes the scientific results/findings 'understandable'?
It is not so much that science is made complicated by politicians and the media. Rather science is sometimes misrepresented by politicians and the media for their personal, corporate or political gain.

Pure "dumbing down" of science in the media is not a problem in my view, if it remains faithful to the original science. Think of it as giving a high school version of a theory as opposed to the research paper version of the theory - simplified but still pretty accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 04:40 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,680,678 times
Quote:
Lets start here.... According to Albert Einstein, who knew a thing or two about it, "The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking."

I tend to trust his evaluation in disciplines of science.
Well, you can go through life thinking that Einstein will have the last word on science, but I’d be inclined to think that he failed to include the thinking of Gomer pyle when he put that mighty stretch on his notions of what constitutes “refinement.”

Old 09-09-2021, 05:27 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Well, you can go through life thinking that Einstein will have the last word on science, but I’d be inclined to think that he failed to include the thinking of Gomer pyle when he put that mighty stretch on his notions of what constitutes “refinement.”
Is that political or an scientific observation? I tend to see the value in Forrest Gump statement myself.

People, you know... ordinary people tend to have imaginations ( everyday thinking) while most science operates within the world of knowledge. If not for human imagination, science would be like lego's. Instead... problems, imagined solutions, thinking entrepreneurs, students and needs ted to be the forerunners (mothers) of science.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:57 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,680,678 times
Quote:
Is that political or an scientific observation? I tend to see the value in Forrest Gump statement myself.

People, you know... ordinary people tend to have imaginations ( everyday thinking) while most science operates within the world of knowledge. If not for human imagination, science would be like lego's. Instead... problems, imagined solutions, thinking entrepreneurs, students and needs ted to be the forerunners (mothers) of science.
You’re stretching here, quotes from Einstein without proper context seems to reflect the central theme of what I’m trying to present as what I see as proof that most people cant seem to articulate the deeper aspects of what they say they believe. This is the “thinness” I’ve referred to, the thinking that gets behind slogans, and then attempts to show how the slogan itself has an element of profundity. Me thinks you have your mind made up, and on that note I’ll bow out.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:50 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
On the radio this afternoon I was listening to a news report...half-heartedly since I was in heavy traffic...and whoever they were interviewing said, "I believe real science over political science".

Me too.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:23 PM

A simple but relative situation has been presented today. President Biden's Covid 'speech'.

Is this an example of science and politics co existing or an example of science corrupted?

Old 09-09-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
A simple but relative situation has been presented today. President Biden's Covid 'speech'.

Is this an example of science and politics co existing or an example of science corrupted?
I didn't hear the entire speech, but what I heard sounded like a solid science background. All the data I've seen is pretty clear about who is getting sick from covid at this time, who is hospitalized, and who is dying. And it's pretty clear which states -- the ones with the lowest vaccination rates -- are most affected.

Not liking what needs to be done is not the same as good or bad science backing up what needs to be done. And by the way, your state is the second highest rate of covid per capita in the country right now. As compared to being the 43rd state in terms of vaccination rate. Gee, do you think there might be a connection there?

Old 09-09-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I didn't hear the entire speech, but what I heard sounded like a solid science background. All the data I've seen is pretty clear about who is getting sick from covid at this time, who is hospitalized, and who is dying. And it's pretty clear which states -- the ones with the lowest vaccination rates -- are most affected.

Not liking what needs to be done is not the same as good or bad science backing up what needs to be done. And by the way, your state is the second highest rate of covid per capita in the country right now. As compared to being the 43rd state in terms of vaccination rate. Gee, do you think there might be a connection there?
So... you believe the politics and science have come together, in a positive way I take it. Is this because of a cognitive bias? or fact based scientific review?

Why is my state relative to the debate?

Old 09-09-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
It is not so much that science is made complicated by politicians and the media. Rather science is sometimes misrepresented by politicians and the media for their personal, corporate or political gain.

Pure "dumbing down" of science in the media is not a problem in my view, if it remains faithful to the original science. Think of it as giving a high school version of a theory as opposed to the research paper version of the theory - simplified but still pretty accurate.
Misrepresentation seems to be a nice way of saying... lying, but yes I think most would agree politicians use lying to promote their personal gain. Maybe my way of saying politicians take what is complex and make it complicated is a smoke screen for lying.

So I take it... you think science and politics can't co exist and corruption is inevitable.

I know covid monopolizes the media these days, but previously I suppose it was climate change. Any other recent examples of 'misrepresentation of science?

Old 09-09-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
So... you believe the politics and science have come together, in a positive way I take it. Is this because of a cognitive bias? or fact based scientific review?

Why is my state relative to the debate?
Your state may be relevant because it may indicate a general anti-science bias that could be common in your state. Your state's history regarding science is not exactly stellar. Out of 51 states and the District Of Columbia, your state is 49th in per pupil spending. That's not exactly encouraging in terms of science education.

I've lived in 4 different states over the years, and each one had a different "feel" for respect for education and science. Some better than others. One of the four not good at all. And that's where politics and science don't mix well.

Note that I haven't said anything about your personal beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates