Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 02:52 PM

16,570 posts, read 19,780,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
My examples of silly technology are as follows:
  • Smart Light Bulbs - I turn lights on when I enter a room and turn lights off when I leave a room. I don't need light bulbs connected to my phone.
  • I LOVE my Smart lights. I can do more then turn them on or off. I can change colors. I can have them blink when it's bed time. I can have them run routines when I am not at home so it looks like I am,. I can set them all kinds of colors when we are having a party, or my outdoor ones for the holidays. THey are really cool. And I have gone overboard with them.

Quote:
  • Smart refrigerators - As someone else mentioned earlier, it is so much quicker and easier to jot down a quick list on paper.
  • Smart microwaves
  • Smart Dishwashers
  • Smart Washing Machines
I do agree with every one of these. Our microwave broke and I was all: yea a dumb one will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 05:28 PM

15,585 posts, read 7,614,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
1. children are prey.
2. Normal is playing with kids your age in your area.
3. Billions is a proven fact.
4. Allow? How about "peaceful" and without damage??????? Hello?
5. Yeah, I can clearly back it up as far as people aren't meant for this much information. My IQ is SUPER high and I get upset over the crap I see. Kids? Please!!!!! They are being led. Why does the military recruit so young? You have a lot to learn. Good luck.
6. Level the playing field? You better be ready for a backlash by the "majority" of people. Do you know who the majority is? I feel for minorities if this continues. Read it and weep.
Why does the military recruit young? Because you can easily convince a million 18 year olds to storm the beaches at Normandy. The 40 year olds would tell you to *&^% yourself.

We didn't have any kids our son's age in our neighborhood. The upside of that is he has friends all over the city and from different socioeconomic levels, since he went to magnet schools. I am always amazed at how many people he knows from all over the city.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:27 AM

10,507 posts, read 7,082,289 times
Travel anywhere with a SmartPhone and you'll quickly learn how fantastic it is.

Exhibit A. My wife and I driving from the Cape Town airport to our hotel. Unpronounceable street names, driving on the left-hand side of the road. The reassuring voice of Google Maps telling me to turn left and right almost certainly saved us thousands in marriage counseling.

Old 09-25-2021, 03:33 AM

814 posts, read 548,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
But I really don't have much sympathy for those who cannot see that their distress over new technology is rooted not in the nature of the technology but in themselves.

Really? You don't see the danger of collapsing bee colonies, the result of pesticide use?

You don't notice all the weird new auto-immune diseases, because of all the vaccines we pump into our kids?

There are a whole passel of new diseases no one ever heard of, before the end of the 20th century.

You really think it's going to be OK to have a diet of mostly industrial fake food?

To be flooded with EMF radiation 24/7?

These dangers aren't narcissitic fantasies, they are very real, and only the tip of iceberg of problems brought on by simplistic, greedy introduction of new technolog without a corresponding assessment of responsibilities.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:42 PM

1,161 posts, read 469,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
i am rewatching the series, Downton Abbey, and it struck me that I am a "Cousin Violet" in that I am VERY resistant to the changes that have taken place in the past 25 years. At the time of the series (1912-1926), there had been a radical change in society, not only a revolution in the English structure of class, but also in a relaxing of morals and many inventions that completely changed ordinary life (e.g., electric gadgets to make housework easier, the automobile, and the telephone). As far as I can tell, with very few exceptions, virtually everyone adapted to those inventions in just a very few years; and now, of course, I think we all accept those inventions as so much a part of our lives that I think that the great majority of Americans would find it very difficult to live without them.

Today, however, I am one of those holdouts who have not accepted a Smartphone or SmartTV or electronic banking into my life and I don't intend to ever do so as long as there is any way to avoid it other than death or committal to some institution.. Imo, those inventions are not creating a better quality of life, and with the talk about using Smartphones to track people for various reasons*, I am now wondering whether, in the opinion of MOST people, if "Smart" technology has made life better or worse?

* https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ocracy/619940/
I'm pretty much with you. Like TV when it was new, almost all smart technology has the potential to be extremely beneficial, but it's all so addictive, brain-sucking and abused that the net effect, both on the individual and society, is very negative.

A minor example: As an avid golfer for almost 60 years, I've been playing with a GPS watch that tells me 100 times more information than I knew when I was playing 25 years ago. Last week, after playing 9 holes, I said to my playing companion "This idiotic thing has become such a crutch that I can't even think anymore! It's sucking my enjoyment out of the game." I actually threw it away - and on the back 9 had my lowest score in the two years I've been playing there! I was forced to once again engage with the turf, the wind, and other factors - and, above all, stop staring at my whiz-bang technology like a zombie who couldn't function without it.

I've had my little Ford Fiesta for 11 years, and it has technology I've never used. My best friend just bought a new Subaru, and the useless technology (and what it added to the purchase price) is absolutely comical. His car, sitting in his driveway, communicated with Subaru, which sent him a text message in the middle of the night telling him the air pressure in one of his tires was low! I just saw an add for the new Volvo SUV - presumably $60K or so - that said "Basically a smart phone, only bigger." God help us.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:02 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,979,403 times
With many gadgets, I just wait until they are obsolete and just don't buy one, because it is now obsolete. It does not take long a few months to a few years. My primary vehicle does have fuel injection, so I sometimes get the newer gadget, but usually only after it is nearly obsolete. My 12 year old computer (bought four years ago for next to nothing) was state of the art and $4000 wh. it was new. It still is fast enough to run anything that I need it to. I did add a nearly obsolete upgraded video card a year ago.

I guess I am more running a little behind than I am anti-tech. Lots of newfangled stuff here. We may even put central air-conditioning in our house in a few years!

I am certainly glad I never jumped into all the different music playback media that we have had (only some of it). However finding a good cassette tape player is getting a little frustrating.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:09 AM

51,026 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Nuts! I just had a new heat pump system installed and the temperature setting now needs to be changed with my smart phone...instead of just walking ten steps and pushing a button. It's insanity. I love my smartphone for many things, but I think sometimes dumb stuff is superior.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:37 AM

16,570 posts, read 19,780,405 times
I really don't get the aversion to, as OP called it, "Ebanking"ANd I know why it is... you don't trust it.
My mother in law still won't even give Amazon her credit card.

I had to go into a bank the other day. My son and I rolled up about $100 in change. I'm 50... I was the youngest one inside there. I asked the teller "Wow, there's a lot of people in here... I'm guessing this is pretty much the main demographic?"
She said it totally was. LOL

This stuff, banking in your browser or even on an app on your phone, is more secure then it's ever been. And your banks are more protective of you then they've ever been. Someone steal your credit card or even your debit card? Racks up $1,000's of dollars? You report it after the fact... You're not on the hook for that. You get that back. Every penny.
Remember the last time there was a major banking phone app hack that affected lots of people? Yea, me neither. Because there's never been one.
Even when phones do get hit with Malware, like just very recently happened:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ng-10m-phones/
10 MILLION phones. And the hackers got money. But NOT by hacking the phone banking app, or breaking passwords. No... by human error and stupidity and greed. Once this malware was installed, it grabbed the phone number and then sent text messages telling these people they won something. They clicked those things to find out what they won! They were then subscribed to some service that charged the card on file with the App Store account.
Tip: If you get a text message saying you won something... ignore and delete it. You didn't win.

Old 10-20-2021, 04:59 PM

5,121 posts, read 2,175,466 times
I think smart technology can make people guillable, overly trusting and incapable of critical thinking. It’s a very good recipe for creating a nation of sheep. Wish I didn’t feel that way but I do.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,125,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I think smart technology can make people guillable, overly trusting and incapable of critical thinking. It’s a very good recipe for creating a nation of sheep. Wish I didn’t feel that way but I do.
You aren't the only one who feels that way, so don't feel bad. I think the same thing and I think a lot more other people are beginning to realize the truth of it too. At least I sure hope so.

I don't indulge in "smart" technology, it destroys critical thinking skills and makes people behave like brainwashed zombies who are being turned into pawns. They don't recognize that in themselves or in others. The more and more I see of what it's doing to people, making them unable to think for themselves, the more it makes me despair for the fate of humanity of the future. I'm glad I rejected it and am happier without it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates