Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 09:02 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times

Advertisements

Not specifically a "smart" technology issue, but an issue in all technology is obsolescence over time. Mechanical systems and parts replacements can last decades or longer, while many chip and circuit based components are obsolete almost from the day they are sold, at least in consumer products. A bigger issue is access, storage, and maintainability of data over time - where photos and texts could last decades or centuries, images, files, even email often get "trapped" within the operating system and components where they were created, and lost in a short period of time as systems and formats evolve. Emails disappear, attachments become unaccessible or unreadable, data files become lost in migration between OS versions.

Larger systems and where the data is reproduced and shared in great numbers may have more protections and resources to access the data over time, but are not immune to these issues.

Maybe standardization over time will allow better protection and transfer of data among systems as they have matured. But over time actual physical presence (books, images, papers, etc) may be necessary, at least as a redundant process, to protect the existence and accessibility of important data.

Several years back, we had to do just that to recreate a unique operating system for a project that had been mothballed just a few years earlier. We had hard copy operating manuals, hardware, and control panels all ready, but the computers that ran it no longer existed, and we had to reverse-engineer the process. Even the manuals were hard to find, ultimately we discovered them held by the engineers who worked the project earlier in the personal cache of "souvenirs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 10:47 AM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's a pretty big assumption on your part that I received your message almost immediately. Maybe I was in the shower, taking a nap, having sex, going for a swim, driving, in a business meeting, or any number of things? But even if I did, the beauty of texting is that I am not interrupted and I can reply when it is convenient FOR ME.

The people who have issues with dating and texting are those like you who think the message you send is immediately seen by the recipient and your expectations that it must be answered immediately or else you start reading things into it and imagining all sorts of things.
Love texting. I was texting before it was even a thing Non-invasive and helps with the people who think a phone call is summons and how dare I not answer

Old 04-05-2023, 07:14 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I find it mostly makes things more frustrating. I haven’t really run into many “smart” devices which are much good. They’re quickly obsolete, a pain to use, and seldom reliable. It’s also kind of dumb that everything is “smart” now - it’s probably the most overused word of the last 10 years. It’s also making people lazy when some half-baked Jetsons gadget is doing it for you…or isn’t, because it has to be reset again or needs some update or another. A lot of these things are answering questions that I didn’t even know anybody ever bothered asking. I don’t need an iPad in the car, I don’t need to play music wirelessly, etc. Apple wallet stuff has probably cost us close to $100 because it never works right and I don’t get the money and can’t send it back. I really don’t know what people are thinking who dream this crap up, let alone people who buy it.

Old 04-06-2023, 04:50 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
i am rewatching the series, Downton Abbey, and it struck me that I am a "Cousin Violet" in that I am VERY resistant to the changes that have taken place in the past 25 years. At the time of the series (1912-1926), there had been a radical change in society, not only a revolution in the English structure of class, but also in a relaxing of morals and many inventions that completely changed ordinary life (e.g., electric gadgets to make housework easier, the automobile, and the telephone). As far as I can tell, with very few exceptions, virtually everyone adapted to those inventions in just a very few years; and now, of course, I think we all accept those inventions as so much a part of our lives that I think that the great majority of Americans would find it very difficult to live without them.

Today, however, I am one of those holdouts who have not accepted a Smartphone or SmartTV or electronic banking into my life and I don't intend to ever do so as long as there is any way to avoid it other than death or committal to some institution.. Imo, those inventions are not creating a better quality of life, and with the talk about using Smartphones to track people for various reasons*, I am now wondering whether, in the opinion of MOST people, if "Smart" technology has made life better or worse?

* https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ocracy/619940/
I would say that it has affected changes in our culture. The positives are that people have more access to information than ever. When I attended college we did not have internet. i had to go to the library to do research. Now, all my research I can do from the computer. So that is a good thing. Before, if I missed a TV show that I wanted to see, too bad. Now, you can have the show recorded and you watch it later because you had something to do at the time. That is good. Technology has help the medical field greatly in taking care of patients. During the pandemic, I was able to still teach online. That is good.
I can go on and on on the positives.
The negatives can be how people can become so obsessed with gadgets. Socialization has changed. I have noticed how people do not practice personal interaction like we used to do. Many people have not learned to talk in person in such and effective way as before. Also, people can be lost without their electronic gadgets to the point that depression is increasing. I am a member of a group that gives advice online to people. You would be so surprised to see how many time I get letter of people so depressed when a friend or mate has not responded to their text in two day. It is like the end of the world to them.
Teens had beat up their parents or teachers if an electronic game or phone is taken away.
Reality? Technology will not go away. That is fact in my opinion. What to do? Parents need to set boundaries with the use all all these gadgets. The problem is that often I see the parent are worse than the teenagers at times.
The bottom line, I am all fashion still but I am a mix that uses technology but I do not let it affect to the point of being controlled of lost without it. I have a phone but texting is a rarity, only for some needed urgent need. I am not driving or at the cashier line with my eyes focus on texting all day as I see so many even walking with their eyes on the phone checking for messages.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 04-11-2023, 06:04 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
The only pro is many lives are being extended by smart tech- both in medicine and giving people access to helpful information or emergency services.

The tragedy of our Internet age is, privacy does not exist anymore.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:08 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
i am rewatching the series, Downton Abbey, and it struck me that I am a "Cousin Violet" in that I am VERY resistant to the changes that have taken place in the past 25 years. At the time of the series (1912-1926), there had been a radical change in society, not only a revolution in the English structure of class, but also in a relaxing of morals and many inventions that completely changed ordinary life (e.g., electric gadgets to make housework easier, the automobile, and the telephone). As far as I can tell, with very few exceptions, virtually everyone adapted to those inventions in just a very few years; and now, of course, I think we all accept those inventions as so much a part of our lives that I think that the great majority of Americans would find it very difficult to live without them.

Today, however, I am one of those holdouts who have not accepted a Smartphone or SmartTV or electronic banking into my life and I don't intend to ever do so as long as there is any way to avoid it other than death or committal to some institution.. Imo, those inventions are not creating a better quality of life, and with the talk about using Smartphones to track people for various reasons*, I am now wondering whether, in the opinion of MOST people, if "Smart" technology has made life better or worse?

* https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ocracy/619940/
Technology offers options. How we use them is upto us, and it requires discrimination and understanding the technology. That is the SMART aspect of it. You are using a platform to post your thoughts, a means you never had before. How you use the platform and for what purpose is the SMART part

Old 04-19-2023, 02:28 PM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
The tragedy of our Internet age is, privacy does not exist anymore.

It does if you utilize a VPN, at least for now.
On an OP related topic, AI/AGI is now being hotly debated in the scientific community.
Not sure how comfortable I am with "Smart Technology" becoming omniscient, too many sci-fi movies come to mind.

Old 04-20-2023, 09:08 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
There was a report a couple of months ago about how relying on GPS can lead to dementia, because it turns off a function of the brain (in the hippocampus) responsible for directional orientation and spatial memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates