Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 08:42 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I do agree that technology may be contributing to "craziness." We have so many problems with mental health and substance abuse now, and I think some of that is due to people being unable to cope in an ever more complicated world. Who among us hasn't felt like throwing some high tech device out the window or wanted to yell at tech support or the recorded message in the tech support phone queue? All so we can use a device that we really didn't want to spent the money on, but for some reason "needed". And societal pressure to buy this stuff is just as frustrating. Just look at some of the posts in this thread telling everyone that a smart XXX is essential and if you can't figure it out, then you're old or not adaptable or there's something else wrong with you.

I'd give up 50% of the tech in my life to get back 50% of the time I spend programming it or updating it or debugging it.
The bold is a one of the major things I hate about the modern world. Even 30 (25?) years ago, you would call a company for assistance, and chance were excellent that your call would be answered by a real live person!!

When i moved to Wisconsin and contacted our public utilities office and Social Security office, I was absolutely shocked when my calls were actually answered by a friendly and knowledgeable person!

And one other thing: Does anyone else become frustrated when voice recognition does not work? I find this SO annoying!! (And in my experience, American Express and every single phone company I have ever dealt with is just terrible in this regard.) And with any of the automatice "press 1 for this, press 2 for that, etc." systems, good luck trying to get a real life person to help you -- and I found that to be true almost "across the board" unless you call an actual store directly

GRRRR -- I guess I really am a curmudgeon!!!

And, once again, thanks to all of you for your replies! Very interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 08:57 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I do agree that technology may be contributing to "craziness." We have so many problems with mental health and substance abuse now, and I think some of that is due to people being unable to cope in an ever more complicated world. Who among us hasn't felt like throwing some high tech device out the window or wanted to yell at tech support or the recorded message in the tech support phone queue? All so we can use a device that we really didn't want to spent the money on, but for some reason "needed". And societal pressure to buy this stuff is just as frustrating. Just look at some of the posts in this thread telling everyone that a smart XXX is essential and if you can't figure it out, then you're old or not adaptable or there's something else wrong with you.

I'd give up 50% of the tech in my life to get back 50% of the time I spend programming it or updating it or debugging it.
The problems with mental health and substance abuse happened well before technology. Mother’s little helper is now more than 50 years old and people who had mental health problems were usually drugged, institutionalized, or treated in barbaric ways. It wasn’t that this did not exist before, it was just that it was not readily known.

There are positive and negatives to this. There are lots of forums for people with fringe/dangerous views and others for people with self-destructive mental illnesses like anorexia. On the other hand, people get an idea that they are not alone and can more easily access resources, which is helpful.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:10 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you would spend $350 for a smart electric toothbrush?

But seriously, I think you're sort of missing at least part of 'the point'.

It's not that technology is 'bad'. I have a smart phone...and use for many things. I have my car connected to wifi. I have wifi in my house for my computer, my smart t.v., my home telephone, my security system, etc.

But what some of us are saying is that some of the "smart" stuff doesn't seem so smart.

For example, you can whip out your smart phone or go find it, log in, bring up the app for your smart thermostat, and change the temperature a degree. I can take 10 steps and press one button once and do the same. You can be driving, whip out your smart phone, log in, bring up the app for your garage door, and open said door. I can push the button on my visor once and do the same thing.

After 7 years of using a Kindle, I've decided that I prefer reading a hardcover book.

And by the way, I'm 72 and not afraid of technology...never have been. But high tech is not always better.
I’m 71 and I think you have hit on the bad side of the new tech. I have found that it is almost impossible to actually get some one on the phone to handle an issue with billing or insurance ETC……The automated help and their websites hardly ever resolve an issue like change of address or an item overcharged. There are to many glitches and oversights inherent in this Tech to completely rely on it without human interaction.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
... As far as I can tell, with very few exceptions, virtually everyone adapted to those inventions in just a very few years; and now, of course, I think we all accept those inventions as so much a part of our lives that I think that the great majority of Americans would find it very difficult to live without them.

Today, however, I am one of those holdouts who have not accepted a Smartphone or SmartTV or electronic banking into my life and I don't intend to ever do so as long as there is any way to avoid it other than death or committal to some institution.. Imo, those inventions are not creating a better quality of life, and with the talk about using Smartphones to track people for various reasons*, I am now wondering whether, in the opinion of MOST people, if "Smart" technology has made life better or worse?

* https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ocracy/619940/
While I agree that smart technology has assisted in allowing stupid people to become more so, I also think that you have to learn to live with changes adopted by the masses. Any organism failing to adapt dies. Besides, it's so hard to find a place to store one's horse and buggy, and we no longer have the mail and messenger services (multiple deliveries, person to person) so phones are necessary. Recall that our great-grandparents thought no good would come from TV. They were right, but it's still the go to for persons of all ages -- like someone who watches Downton Abbey.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:54 PM

445 posts, read 281,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And, of course, I do "love" the Internet as far as communication and research, although I still do NOT think that social media like Facebook has improved our lives very much . . . but, of course, this is just opinion (as will be all thoughts about this, I think.)
I think people who have found and reconnected with long lost family members and friends via FB, including people who have shared the bond of going into combat with, who they haven't heard from in decades, would disagree with you that FB hasn't improved our lives very much. That's kind of a jumbled mess of a sentence there, but it's the best I can do at the moment.

Old 09-06-2021, 04:13 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
I think people who have found and reconnected with long lost family members and friends via FB, including people who have shared the bond of going into combat with, who they haven't heard from in decades, would disagree with you that FB hasn't improved our lives very much. That's kind of a jumbled mess of a sentence there, but it's the best I can do at the moment.
I agree with you. Once I retired and began moving around (first to Thailand and then on to Colorado and finally Arizona), Facebook was the one thing that easily kept me in touch with old friends and resulting in a reunion that was the highlight of my life.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:09 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Hmmm. It seems as if you want to restrict freedom of thought and freedom of expression.

By "crazy people", aren't you really just saying people not in the mainstream?

What is the "normal fashion" of growing up. Is growing up in Eldora, Iowa normal? Or is growing up in the Bronx normal?

"billions of dollars in damages...in the past 5 years". Hmmmm. Really? Billions? Where do you come up with that figure? And was any of that protesting justified? Is protesting a protected American right?

Yes, these things -- coming together, being part of a group, protesting -- are facilitated in a variety of ways by smart technology. But I guess the printing press had a similar role at a different time in history. And what's wrong with being part of a group? Which groups should we allow? Evangelicals? African Americans? Republicans? They all use smart technology now.

What do you mean that people were not meant to absorb as much information as they can via smart technology? Can you back that up? I have a smart phone and use it in many ways on a daily basis. And I'm in my 70s. I still have my sanity. And the things I struggle with have nothing to do with smart technology. Smart technology is simply a tool.

It seems to me that the bottom line on your post is that you don't like that smart technology helps level the playing field of American culture.
1. children are prey.
2. Normal is playing with kids your age in your area.
3. Billions is a proven fact.
4. Allow? How about "peaceful" and without damage??????? Hello?
5. Yeah, I can clearly back it up as far as people aren't meant for this much information. My IQ is SUPER high and I get upset over the crap I see. Kids? Please!!!!! They are being led. Why does the military recruit so young? You have a lot to learn. Good luck.
6. Level the playing field? You better be ready for a backlash by the "majority" of people. Do you know who the majority is? I feel for minorities if this continues. Read it and weep.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:32 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
As others have commented, I think it's a mixed bag. And the benefits are considerable. But what I rue is the addictive use of technology where it seems to control us as opposed to us controlling the technology. When staring into a device's screen or texting replaces face-to-face communication among us, I feel sad and long for the way it used to be.

Also, as a word person who loves literature and expression, I think "content" has often replaced literate use of language and has dumbed down our literacy.

But as also one who enjoys research, the internet allows easy access to so many avenues of research and history...the world under our fingers.

Dr. Google has helped me educate myself on health concerns as short 5-10 minute doctor visits often leave me with more questions than answers....

I could go on...but to sum up, I take what I need and disregard the rest. I also, don't use online banking...but being able to find esoteric ingredients for ethnic cooking or finding unusual books and having them sent to me at the click of a few keys is wonderful...

No Smartphone here, either...my life is such that I don't need an electronic leash to keep me in touch when I'm out and about. "The world is too much with us; late and soon, Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers...."--William Wordsworth

Old 09-06-2021, 07:44 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
1. children are prey.
2. Normal is playing with kids your age in your area.
3. Billions is a proven fact.
4. Allow? How about "peaceful" and without damage??????? Hello?
5. Yeah, I can clearly back it up as far as people aren't meant for this much information. My IQ is SUPER high and I get upset over the crap I see. Kids? Please!!!!! They are being led. Why does the military recruit so young? You have a lot to learn. Good luck.
6. Level the playing field? You better be ready for a backlash by the "majority" of people. Do you know who the majority is? I feel for minorities if this continues. Read it and weep.
1. Children can be prey with or without technology, it's just that we hear about it more now no matter what part of the country, or even in the world it is happening.
2. Playing video games -- although I hate them -- is playing, too.
3. Show me. You're just making a broad statement with no backup support for your position.
4. Solve the problems, and people won't be tempted to be violent and to damage personal property.
5. Oh, I've worked with kids my whole life...33 years in education. I think I know "kids".
6. It appears that you are implying that the "majority" of people don't want a level playing field. That's sad.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:43 PM

9,069 posts, read 6,300,219 times
I think there is beneficial technology, detrimental technology and silly technology.

My examples of good technology are as follows:
  • Computers and General Internet - Being able to watch a Youtube video to figure out how to fix household items like lawn mowers and garage door openers is a huge benefit. I cannot begin to quantify how much stress has been eliminated from my life as a homeowner by watching DIY videos.
  • Online Banking and Direct Deposit - Remember the days of receiving paper paychecks and having to travel to a bank branch to deposit or cash the check? That was such a pain.
  • Smart Phones - My smart phone has many uses: phone calls, texts, alarm clock/watch, compass, portable music player. I do not browse the internet with my smart phone yet it still is a very handy device.
  • Smart Thermostats - My smart thermostat provides local weather conditions at the touch of a button and it will ping my phone when an issue arises with my HVAC system.
  • Smart TVs - I have the ability to receive so much content without having to pay for cable or satellite TV service

My examples of bad technology all pretty much fall under the umbrella of social media. People share way too many details and opinions on social media. Distant relatives and acquaintances should not know political and religious beliefs. People mindlessly share things on social media that they would never say in person. This is what is driving the divide between people in this country.

My examples of silly technology are as follows:
  • Smart Light Bulbs - I turn lights on when I enter a room and turn lights off when I leave a room. I don't need light bulbs connected to my phone.
  • Smart refrigerators - As someone else mentioned earlier, it is so much quicker and easier to jot down a quick list on paper.
  • Smart microwaves
  • Smart Dishwashers
  • Smart Washing Machines

I would actually appreciate appliances that self monitor conditions like temperatures, that could come in handy for maintenance and troubleshooting but manufacturers are focusing on options that just seem specious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates