Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 03:54 AM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Their grandfathers were wrong in 1776? Really?
NOW YOU TELL ME, do you mean that...
I mean what I said: The people who wanted to keep and even extend slavery, who used "states rights" against justice were wrong.
Their grandfathers did similarly in 1776 when SC held the Continental Congress hostage over the issue.

If you ask a Q wait for a answer.
Don't fill in drivel about whatever your pet peeve point might be.
hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 04:41 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I mean what I said: The people who wanted to keep and even extend slavery, who used "states rights" against justice were wrong.
Their grandfathers did similarly in 1776 when SC held the Continental Congress hostage over the issue.

If you ask a Q wait for a answer.
Don't fill in drivel about whatever your pet peeve point might be.
hth
Drivel? Really?
Lighten up, I just threw in what I presumed would be taken as a humorous aside, I’m not peeved that I’m a U.K. citizen instead of a U.S. citizen, I saw 1776 and thought I’d use a harmless quip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Yes but do you have experience with private healthcare? It is not hard to access here, no matter what you hear.
No I don’t, if I’ve thought about it at all, I’ve guessed that if I lived there I might pay a little more in medical insurance in the U.S. than I paid annually in National Insurance and Income Tax in U.K.
Having said that, I had a girlfriend from N.J. in the early eighties who told me that subsequent to a heart attack her father’s medical insurance went through the roof.
I can’t recall what I was paying in N.I. in 1995, but I had a mild heart attack, was treated on the NHS and my contributions weren’t hiked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC-1966 View Post
Well, it's not like it's anyone from the Houses of Parliament who are personally paying for your NHS care. You're paying for it through taxes, and from what I hear the NHS in some areas can be pretty dire these days, with ridiculously long waiting lists for some things, not to mention the ever-changing rules. Some 25 years ago I remember my mother complaining about having to pay for eye tests and dental work - Something she had been told was covered by the NHS for all the years she had paid into it, then when she actually needed it, the government had changed the rules so it wasn't covered. If a private insurance company tried to do that here, I think there would soon be a class-action lawsuit for a breach of contract.
I have to admit that I was unaware of paying for dentistry until I went to a dentist in the sixties, I’d always wrongly thought that it was covered by the NHS, but I was wrong.
Likewise eye tests, I get them free now that I’m over 65, but I paid for them before that, and if you need glasses then you have to pay for the lenses.
I get the cheapest reading glasses available, I’m not going to see better just because the frames have some Mickey Mouse designer name on them.
I had my second cataract procedure about 5 weeks ago, and after a post-op check in a week’s time I’ll go to the optician for a free test, then probably go for bifocals, being as vain as any guy I’m tossing up between glasses like Richard Belzer or maybe Robert Downey Junior.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:22 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,675,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
No I don’t, if I’ve thought about it at all, I’ve guessed that if I lived there I might pay a little more in medical insurance in the U.S. than I paid annually in National Insurance and Income Tax in U.K.
Having said that, I had a girlfriend from N.J. in the early eighties who told me that subsequent to a heart attack her father’s medical insurance went through the roof.
I can’t recall what I was paying in N.I. in 1995, but I had a mild heart attack, was treated on the NHS and my contributions weren’t hiked.
Based on your previous post you seem to like your government and its services. That's just not how it is here. I wouldn't trust the US Government to run a hot dog stand in Times Square correctly, not to mention having it charge of my health care. Health insurance doesn't go up when it pays out. I had 350k of back surgery last year and not one penny in raised premiums this year.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't trust the US Government to run a hot dog stand ...
Most of that sentiment (for most) isn't about the FEDERAL entities per se; almost al of which do rather good work in almost all instances.
It's about the conflict between the Federal entities and the several STATE entities we run up against with varying expectations.
It's illogical, counter-productive, wasteful, expensive and just stupid.

One set of laws and rules and process please.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:21 AM

290 posts, read 152,364 times
Quote:
I wouldn't trust the US Government to run a hot dog stand in Times Square correctly {...}
I wouldn't trust the U.K. government to run a hot-roasted chestnut stand in Piccadilly Circus either.

On the issue of National Insurance, the last I heard there is supposed to be a hike in the "contributions" (a misnomer in my opinion, since that implies a voluntary payment when it's really just another tax) coming soon, and I've seen a lot of annoyance in comments given the events of the last couple of years and rapidly rising inflation. Don't forget that with increasing prices in the stores the government is already getting a considerable increase in revenue from that 20% VAT on taxable items. Also, keep in mind that the NHS gets only a portion of its funding from N.I., with much coming out of the general taxation bucket, and that N.I. itself (introduced years before the NHS came along) also provides funding for unemployment benefit, sickness benefits, supplementary benefits etc. (or whatever they're calling them these days). I'm assuming this basic arrangement hasn't changed since I left the country!

The point I'm making is that you'll be paying for services one way or another. If the taxes a company or self-employed individual increase, through either direct or indirect taxation, then ultimately that business will have to increase prices to compensate, so you'll pay more - It's just that the increase is hidden away under the general category of inflation.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:36 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,675,265 times
Quote:
Most of that sentiment (for most) isn't about the FEDERAL entities per se; almost al of which do rather good work in almost all instances.
It's about the conflict between the Federal entities and the several STATE entities we run up against with varying expectations.
It's illogical, counter-productive, wasteful, expensive and just stupid.

One set of laws and rules and process please.
I want state laws though. Some states in this country are so whacked that if you kill a burglar, they become the victim.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:52 AM

290 posts, read 152,364 times
Quote:
I want state laws though. Some states in this country are so whacked that if you kill a burglar, they become the victim.
The same in the U.K. when I left. Even if a burglar was just injured by a homeowner protecting his home and family at 3 a.m. it would often result in the homeowner being arrested and charged with assault.

And there is already far too much unconstitutional extension of federal government into things which are state issues. Sometimes it seems as though certain people in federal government have never read the 10th amendment.

Old 03-27-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I want state laws though.
I'm fine with having state laws. I just want them to be the same regardless of which state we're in.
That which side of some creek we happen to be standing on when <whatever> happens having any bearing of what comes next is just absurd.

Old 03-27-2022, 11:20 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,022,663 times
Quote:
I'm fine with having state laws. I just want them to be the same regardless of which state we're in.
That which side of some creek we happen to be standing on when <whatever> happens having any bearing of what comes next is just absurd.
Thats not a state law then. Thats a federal law.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:17 PM

602 posts, read 505,939 times
@MrRational - if you really think we should do away with state laws in the US, then for example why not support the same with EU countries? After all, in terms of population and geographic area, one US state = one EU country is more analogous than the whole US = one EU country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates