Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 11:09 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,073,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
You also can be sanctioned for calling someone a nasty name, which of course I don’t condone… But no freedom of speech???

I don’t believe that, personally. I think there’s LOTS of European envy.
There are around 70 people a year shot to death in the UK, in the US its around 35'000+, and you think we're 'envious'!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC-1966 View Post
The same in the U.K. when I left. Even if a burglar was just injured by a homeowner protecting his home and family at 3 a.m. it would often result in the homeowner being arrested and charged with assault.

And there is already far too much unconstitutional extension of federal government into things which are state issues. Sometimes it seems as though certain people in federal government have never read the 10th amendment.
That's nonsense! If somebody broke into my home and I knocked him out protecting my family it would be fine - however if I knocked him out then while he was unconscious I smashed his head in with a hammer THEN I could find myself in trouble!!

Common sense surely!

Old 04-04-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC-1966 View Post
Arkansas also went to that "Constitutional Carry" (open or concealed, no permits) a few years ago. It's the same in Missouri which is only about 3 miles from where I live. Of course, every state should be "Constitutional Carry."

As far as the U.K. is concerned, forget it. I'm not even sure what the minimum prison sentence would be there now for merely having a firearm in one's own home, never mind actually using it in self-defense.
You can have a firearm in your home! As long as you've followed the licensing laws! That's why we only have 70 or so gun deaths every year.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I never said they were, I just was telling that one poster from England that I guarantee if they lived here they'd at least go to a gun store and probably be tempted.

British people like their government and let it vastly control their lives, night and day difference from here. I don't have guns because I feel the need to be protected from the government (though I'm glad that is the reason stamped down in our Constitution). I have guns because I can, and there are psychos out there.

Yes, vasssssst cultural differences with Covid here versus there. My friend who lives in the UK, upstate UK couldn't even legally go on a date, or legally have sex. Literally, illegal for someone to go to his house and have sex with him that's not on his lease or deed for the condo.

Doesn't matter to me what they think, lots of similarities with our friends over there and also LOTS of differences.

Gun laws are just how I want them in my state.
That's nonsense! You're posts are just full of propaganda!

Old 04-04-2022, 11:37 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,684,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There are around 70 people a year shot to death in the UK, in the US its around 35'000+, and you think we're 'envious'!!!
Yes, I do. You are misinformed about guns. You run a very very, very low risk of getting hurt let alone shot in this country if you're just an average everyday Joe.

Quote:
You can have a firearm in your home! As long as you've followed the licensing laws! That's why we only have 70 or so gun deaths every year.
So I can go get a .357 Magnum in England? What "licensing laws"?

Old 04-04-2022, 11:39 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,684,068 times
Quote:
Yes, I do. You are misinformed about guns. You run a very very, very low risk of getting hurt let alone shot in this country if you're just an average everyday Joe.

Quote:

Quote:
I love it when people call people liars on here. This person is an ex-lover born and bred in United Kingdom whom I've kept in touch with as friends for the past 15 years, why would they lie? The stories I heard about the lockdowns there made me drop my jaw.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I am?

https://www.teamenough.org/gun-violence-statistics
https://www.bradyunited.org/key-statistics
https://everytownresearch.org/report...ce-in-america/
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...hs-in-the-u-s/

And you seriously believe that people in Europe are envious of those shameful figures!

As for guns in the UK:-

https://southdowngunclub.co.uk/which...fire%20calibre.

Remember in the UK around 50-70 people are shot to death every year - yes only FIFTY to SEVENTY in the whole country!

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ndingmarch2021
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ates/85994716/

Old 04-04-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I love it when people call people liars on here. This person is an ex-lover born and bred in United Kingdom whom I've kept in touch with as friends for the past 15 years, why would they lie? The stories I heard about the lockdowns there made me drop my jaw.
I AM British, I should know. Incidentally the UK was the first country to vaccinate its population and the one of the first (if not the first) to come out of restrictions.

Last edited by easthome; 04-04-2022 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 03:04 PM

290 posts, read 153,487 times
Quote:
That's nonsense! If somebody broke into my home and I knocked him out protecting my family it would be fine - however if I knocked him out then while he was unconscious I smashed his head in with a hammer THEN I could find myself in trouble!!Common sense surely!
Yes, that would be common sense. But you must know that such common sense hasn't been an integral part of some police thinking in Britain for years. There have been numerous cases of homeowners being arrested for defending themselves against an intruder.

Quote:
You can have a firearm in your home! As long as you've followed the licensing laws!
But it's that second part that's the problem - "So long as you follow the licensing laws," and those laws are extremely restrictive, as I pointed out earlier about my ex-neighbor keeping a shotgun.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:12 PM

290 posts, read 153,487 times
Quote:
Nonsense? Those restrictions were announced officially. Being British myself I was following the U.K. news quite closely during all these restrictions. Are you saying that the government did not make orders restricting people from having gatherings of people from other households in their own homes? Are you claiming that video recordings made of police raiding homes because somebody had reported that such a gathering was taking place were all staged? Are you claiming that recordings made of police arresting (often with completely unnecessary force) people for "being outside without a lawful reason" are also all fake? The only propaganda involved throughout this period has been that coming from the government about the virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates