Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 12:16 PM

711 posts, read 687,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Malcolm X once said the biggest enemy to blacks is a white liberal.

Had a black classmate tell me "black people can't be racist." She always talked about how oppressed she was yet played the card when it came to jobs and school admission not realizing the irony that she likely pushed out someone more qualified due to her checking 2 boxes.
Actually, it was Martin Luther King who expressed that sentiment in Letter from Birmingham Jail.

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Old 02-25-2022, 12:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,958,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Black crime is opportunistic, for the most part, and financial. We already know why, it's because it is easier to steal than it is to work 40 hours a week.
We know that Human Resources departments all over America routinely circular file resumes they receive from individuals with names that self identify as Black, or even just have names that sound Black. You know this and yet you slide the quoted into what was an otherwise rather reasonable post. Why did you do that?

Opportunity. That is the 800lb. word missing from your opinion. We all need it. Even self starting white entrepreneurs need opportunity. I know a brilliant black MD. Stanford trained, top of their class, yet routinely denied surgery residences on both coasts and in between, and even after going into Psychiatry was eventually forced into a state job in a non-medical capacity just to secure steady and gainful employment.

You can't work 40hr/wk if your employer only gives you 20 but intentionally and randomly staggers your hours such that you cannot work anywhere else. You can't work at all if you are not wanted anywhere. Black men are not wanted anywhere in a salaried capacity in the large majority of workplaces. Black women are more desired, but still will succeed only when EEO quotas need to be met and the black woman can tick two boxes. In my state a Lesbian black woman with a disability has recently been hired to some position of significance somewhere. She would never have been considered if she had been missing any of the other protected categories. And, as you know, just this morning it was announced that the nominee for the Supreme Court is a black woman. Little else about her is significant. That's how blacks get gainful employment in this country, by being black at the right time and place. Otherwise they don't.

I don't understand the casual disrespect and the knowing distortion of facts when the outcome is so painful for so many. I don't expect you to singlehandedly right the wrongs of American Apartheid Society but I don't expect to see reTweets of bogus racist tropes by someone attempting to sound reasoned and knowledgeable.

Old 02-25-2022, 12:52 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,011,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Malcolm X once said the biggest enemy to blacks is a white liberal.

Had a black classmate tell me "black people can't be racist." She always talked about how oppressed she was yet played the card when it came to jobs and school admission not realizing the irony that she likely pushed out someone more qualified due to her checking 2 boxes.
Brother Malcolm and Martin Luther King Jr weren't exactly praising white conservatives. All they were saying was that white conservatives in those days were openly hateful so you knew where you stood while white liberals pretended to be your friend but wouldn't let you move into their neighborhood. Sort of like "the devil you know versus the devil you don't."

4 of Malcolm's 6 paternal uncles were lynched by white men and his dad was tied to the railroad tracks and run over by a train, at the hands of Nebraska klansmen. His Grenada-born mother was the product of a rape of his black grandmother at the hands of a white man (hence Malcolm X's reddish hair).

Old 02-25-2022, 01:02 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,011,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't think, in fact I know I have NEVER said the 'H' word nor has any black person of my acquaintance. Ever. Ditto the other imagined epithets for white person a previous poster has put in the mouths of n'er do well black guys. It just doesn't happen. 'White boy' is the way a black person might address a white man if they are out to be disrespectful.

But, but, but ... all this interaction between white people and black people is largely IMAGINED. Even positive communication between races is rare. Violent interaction is simply vanishingly low in occurrence. It is mainly in the fevered imaginations of socially cushioned white people, all this rape, robbery and assorted mayhem at the hands of black men. Again, as I must have said earlier, to be defined as a hate crime, there must be a documented HISTORY of racial animus on the part of the person being thus charged.

There has been an explosion of hate crimes directed at Black, and more recently, Asian, Americans by ... white people. A strong White Supremacist movement is growing in America, and it is kind of surreal this concern over hate crimes against white people which is just so much deflection. I am ashamed for whoever brought this up.

Yeah the "H" word, if I'm not mistaken, was a term used specifically for Hungarian immigrant workers in the United States ("Hunky"). It somehow morphed into the other word and ended up being applied to all white people. Frankly, I'm not sure I've ever heard any black people under 60 use the various slurs associated with white people. Most young blacks probably don't even know those words. Young blacks might use the "C" word or just call someone "white boy" or something like that.

The "H" word for random white people.

The "H" word that applies to white Jewish people (probably something Farrakhan as said before)

The "M" word for Irish. The "G", "W" and "D" words for Italians.

The "K" word for white Jews

The "K" word for Germans

Does seem like we're getting better about slurs but yeah, there's definitely been an explosion in hate crimes. The black vs Asian crimes get the most attention but white vs Asian has increased significantly and doesn't get the same attention unless it's a mass casualty event. I am curious if it's mostly East Asians being attacked or if the attacks are geared more at South/West Asians that may be perceived to be Muslims.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Shocking numbers, and I can't help but wonder that if 95% of white people don't have a black friend, is the reverse also true? Do 95% of black people have no white friends? If they do have any, of course, they would have to be from the remaining 5% of white people, correct?
I don't find it at all hard to imagine that the numbers reverse quite easily. There are about 9 times as many white people as black people. Given that the majority of black people live in ghetto communities without any diversity whatsoever, huge numbers of black people will go their entire lives without any meaningful contact with members of another race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
75% of white Americans don't know a black person at all? That seems especially surprising since Brown vs. Board of Education passed nearly 70 years ago (1954). It seems fair to assume that most of us alive today attended racially integrated schools, and virtually every large place of employment is now integrated.
I didn't do the polling, but I suspect that it is a current snapshot, and who a person may have known in K-12 education does not count. 75% of white people do not actually work in 'large places of employment'. They work in the private sector, the Fortune 500, small businesses. But those large public sector government and educational institutions are precisely where 80% of blacks may find a job. And few will keep those jobs for very long. I've never had a black teacher despite growing up in a rather notorious ghetto in Brooklyn, NY!!! There were some, of course, but I never got one and long after i graduated I returned and the white ones were still there (and happy to see I had turned out well) but there were no Black ones to be found anywhere.

What I see, among my younger family is that right around 9th grade their circle of friends collapses to include only members of their own race. The posters on their walls which might have included Madonna or Britney Spears, etc. starts to be exclusively of rappers or Beyonce or Rihanna. I remember being bused to a white school and having white friends, but by the time I graduated out of high school I really didn't socialize with white kids anymore. Pretty sure it wasn't my choice.

But my opinion and experience isn't the one that matters. Tell me that you really believe yours is not an outlier profile. But, whatever, just don't try to convince me that America really is 'post race' and Dr. King's dream really did come true and and all is well in the land. As for links. I don't have any. Prove me wrong if you can.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:52 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,794 posts, read 4,166,182 times
This is America, where blacks have become a very protected and pandered-to group. Hell, the black dude who ran his SUV into the Waukesha Wisc Christmas parade hated whites. He'd made online posts about his hate, wrote rap lyrics about violence against whites, etc. And to this day the vast majority of the media has not felt they needed to report that important detail. Never dared call him a black racist.

Yet remember the Covington Catholic high school kid, as well as Kyle Rittenhouse? They were falsely called "racist" and "white supremacist," with zero evidence to back it up, right from the beginning of their ordeals. The duplicity and hypocrisy of most of our media and government entities is beyond belief.

Old 02-25-2022, 02:04 PM

14,439 posts, read 14,389,692 times
Default Minorities are sometimes charged with hate crimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
This is America, where blacks have become a very protected and pandered-to group. Hell, the black dude who ran his SUV into the Waukesha Wisc Christmas parade hated whites. He'd made online posts about his hate, wrote rap lyrics about violence against whites, etc. And to this day the vast majority of the media has not felt they needed to report that important detail. Never dared call him a black racist.

Yet remember the Covington Catholic high school kid, as well as Kyle Rittenhouse? They were falsely called "racist" and "white supremacist," with zero evidence to back it up, right from the beginning of their ordeals. The duplicity and hypocrisy of most of our media and government entities is beyond belief.
Minorities do sometimes get charged with hate crimes. What some people fail to understand is that the concept of a hate crime is more than a person of one race attacking a person of another race. The attack or crime has to occur to because they hated them for that reason.

Congress passed hate crimes legislation because the members felt that crimes that were committed for racial reasons were worse or deserved more attention than crimes committed to obtain money or for non-racial reasons. You can argue whether that ought to be the law or not. The fact is that is the law and will be until Congress chooses to repeal the Hate Crimes Statute.

I have a link to the Southern Poverty Law website. If you read the individual accounts, you will see a number of situations where a black or Hispanic person was charged for committing hate crimes against another.

I know its becoming standard practice among some conservative groups to assert that minorities get all kinds of special privileges and that white people are the only ones still discriminated against. That is BS that intelligent people don't believe.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...pe%3A1&page=13

Old 02-25-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post

If this is what being protected and pandered to is actually like, then this black American, for one, would prefer being treated like the other groups. I'm not sure whether or not it really MATTERS exactly what my label is when I am tried, pronounced guilty, and then either rotting away in a State Prison or rotting away on Death Row. Isn't GUILTY label enough? Isn't a life sentence enough?

I might consider the cat pandered to if, somehow, his protected status gets him a pardon for his crimes. Let's see if that happens. Why don't you hold your fire for a few months to see how this all shakes out. It usually takes weeks before the hate crime charges are applied even when the poor, persecuted white extremists who run their SUV's into protest crowds are charged.

Where, exactly, does your aggrieve come from? You really want to trade places and be treated like black people? It's probably easier for a white person to darken their skin to the point where they pass than the other way around. It's actually been done a few times. Most of the people who have done so and reported on it were glad the change was temporary. But, who knows, your experience might be different.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:46 PM

51,041 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

Where, exactly, does your aggrieve come from? You really want to trade places and be treated like black people? ...
This is the most powerful statement, at least in my view, in this entire thread.

I can only see it as a white observer, but I do see it, and have for my entire life.

Certainly in the criminal justice system. One of the best examples is, perhaps, the disparity of treatment of Black vs White drug offenses. But elsewhere, as well.

But it doesn't end with the legal system.

I became the principal of a highly respected middle school. While I was vice principal, and not 'the decider', it was amazing that the Black teacher candidate never got the job. At that time our approximate teacher ratio was less than 2% minority, 98% white. There was always a reason the Black candidate didn't get the job. But why 'always'. You can find something wrong with any candidate who ever applies for any job.

We happened to be a gifted school. Some of our feeder elementary schools sent us very, very, very few candidates, while others sent us a more reasonable number of Black student candidates.

And this is STILL the way it works in this country, and yet so many of the white privileged class complain about it. Honestly, they need to get out more.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:42 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,861,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm;62969003

There has been an explosion of hate crimes directed at Black, and more recently, Asian, Americans by ... white people.[/B
A strong White Supremacist movement is growing in America, and it is kind of surreal this concern over hate crimes against white people which is just so much deflection. I am ashamed for whoever brought this up.
Another shocking statement with no evidence offered to support it.

On another thread, a poster excitedly announced that the white on Asian hate crime rate was much higher than the black on Asian hate crime rate.

I read the linked article and learned that white on Asian hate crimes were mostly verbal. ("Go back to China" or perhaps "You caused Covid!")

Meanwhile, black on Asian hate crimes were most often violent. Ask Asians who they fear in America, and you will soon discover that it isn't white people.

White on black hate crimes, are always identified as such, while black on white hate crimes are often identified simply as crimes.

If there has been an explosion of hate crimes directed at blacks or Asians by whites, please show your evidence.

Providing complete and factually supported statements is crucial when creating believable posts.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 02-25-2022 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Added a line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates