Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 06:22 PM

35,035 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Here's video of the incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ-T5ckq0CM

Seems a bit more diverse than what we saw on Jan 6th at the Capitol. Not exactly what I'd call "largely black." A mixed bag.

.....and comparing people that are protesting police and MTA fares to people literally breaking into the Capitol and searching for members of U.S. government along with assaulting police officers....these are not the same.
They smashed OMNI fare pads as well, and comported themselves in a threatening manner. I was there that day, and I don't scare easily.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:55 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

95% of White Americans don't have a black friend. 75% of white Americans don't know a black person at all. Not even a co-worker or other casual acquaintance. 75%. How can mainstream media possibly widen that kind of divide any further? What would be the point? Posts like yours are more telling about what is really out there in the hearts and minds of the average American.
I couldn't help but especially notice your last paragraph.

One day, several years ago, I got into a conversation with a fellow that I knew quite well. I don't remember precisely what we were talking about, but I do remember that he was telling me about 'Black folks'. It was pretty deplorable. And finally I said something along the lines of, "I don't think you even know any Black people". "Oh I have Black friends!" "Oh, who?" It took a while before he finally said, "The woman cashier at the grocery store". I said, "You been to her house?" "No". "She been to yours?" "Of course not". "Go out for a drink with her?" "No". "What's her name?" "How would I know?" "Well, you said she was one of your Black friends".

I was fortunate. In my profession I had Black colleagues that I associated with on a social level. Not to mention many Black students, parents, and so forth. But few Americans actually do. And that is why there is such a lack of understanding.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:06 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
You do know that in many instances, Africans were forced by slave traders to capture neighboring communities to sell? They in turn ended up being enslaved themselves.

The form of slavery in the Americas was very different from what Africans had known. Yes, it's a shame that those Africans did what they did, and some of the countries are trying to atone for their wrongs by offering dual-citizenship and land to African Americans. Meanwhile, in the U.S., Republican legislatures around the country are introducing legislation to limit what teachers can say about slavery and the Civil Rights movement.
Sure are, it's crazy. They don't want the truth spoken about even though it's something that has already happened. Not talking about it doesn't erase the fact that it happened. It's history.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:53 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,080,512 times
Malcolm X once said the biggest enemy to blacks is a white liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because it doesn't fit the narrative.

The left wants you to believe we blacks, who sold our own people into slavery, are not capable of a "hate crime" on others.
Had a black classmate tell me "black people can't be racist." She always talked about how oppressed she was yet played the card when it came to jobs and school admission not realizing the irony that she likely pushed out someone more qualified due to her checking 2 boxes.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:29 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,531,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Your best guess would be inaccurate.
Make no mistake the so called "hate crime" designation was just another in a series of PC leftist motivated efforts, to make blacks feel like victims for any and everything that befalls them.
That was tame compared to today, where they are pushing CRT in schools, and trying to make all whites feel ashamed and responsible for not only slavery, but blacks in our society not getting ahead, because of "white oppression" "systemic racism", "white nationalism", etc., etc., etc.

Lets take for instance a white person fighting with a black person, say stemming from a road rage incident. Out of anger while cursing at each other, the white guy calls the black guy the "N word".
The fight that started had nothing to do with race, but in the heat of anger a single word is uttered, and boom the white guy is charged with a hate crime.

Juxtapose that with an example of several young black boys who stop and rob a white guy of his bike and possessions.
All the while they were calling him honky MF, cracker, etc. as they beat him.
Several of them admitted to targeting him as he was biking down the road, and saying "lets get that honky".
Do you think any of them were charged with a hate crime?

Even worse, the reporter who the white guy talked to, said they called him racial epithets, yet that was not mentioned in the report, nor even the race of the perps or victim.

It is just a one way road where on a rare occasion or some egregious example where a minority will be charged with a so called hate crime". In reality it is used primarily to add time to whites sentences, even if race was not a motivating factor.
Do you have any examples of the bolded at all because right now you're just making up scenarios and what you THINK will happen? Also, there have been many incidents of white on Asian crime since the start of the pandemic where the white person made racial slurs but so far I've never heard of them being charged with a hate crime but I have heard blacks charged with hate crimes against asians (I remember one was a few days ago)

Old 02-25-2022, 08:46 AM

16,559 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Do you have any examples of the bolded at all because right now you're just making up scenarios and what you THINK will happen? Also, there have been many incidents of white on Asian crime since the start of the pandemic where the white person made racial slurs but so far I've never heard of them being charged with a hate crime but I have heard blacks charged with hate crimes against asians (I remember one was a few days ago)
Both incidents occurred years ago, well before the pandemic.

As to slurs directed at yellow people, many times it is in the ear of the beholder. Just saying Wuhan or China virus was interpreted as a slur, by those on the far left and their media lackeys. This despite the fact CNN, MSNBC and other reporters/talking heads were all using those terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZtCq1aj2g

Funny how it only became a slur when Trump said it.

As to stats related to violent crime perpetrated across racial lines, we all know it is not even close with blacks per capita being far more likely to be violent toward whites, than visa versa. Of course they as a group are more likely to be victims of violence from their own race.
Go into bad areas, and the decent law abiding black folks want more police protection, from the predators in their neighborhoods.
Sadly many cannot afford to get out and be able to live normal lives.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,927,974 times
I don't think, in fact I know I have NEVER said the 'H' word nor has any black person of my acquaintance. Ever. Ditto the other imagined epithets for white person a previous poster has put in the mouths of n'er do well black guys. It just doesn't happen. 'White boy' is the way a black person might address a white man if they are out to be disrespectful.

But, but, but ... all this interaction between white people and black people is largely IMAGINED. Even positive communication between races is rare. Violent interaction is simply vanishingly low in occurrence. It is mainly in the fevered imaginations of socially cushioned white people, all this rape, robbery and assorted mayhem at the hands of black men. Again, as I must have said earlier, to be defined as a hate crime, there must be a documented HISTORY of racial animus on the part of the person being thus charged.

There has been an explosion of hate crimes directed at Black, and more recently, Asian, Americans by ... white people. A strong White Supremacist movement is growing in America, and it is kind of surreal this concern over hate crimes against white people which is just so much deflection. I am ashamed for whoever brought this up.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:07 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
FAIL! It's not even a little bit of what you say. The average white family in America has a net worth of $250K (one quarter million) and that isn't even that much in such a high overhead country as America. The average black family ... $8.00. The vast majority have a stunning negative net worth, actually.

95% of White Americans don't have a black friend. 75% of white Americans don't know a black person at all. Not even a co-worker or other casual acquaintance. 75%. How can mainstream media possibly widen that kind of divide any further? What would be the point? Posts like yours are more telling about what is really out there in the hearts and minds of the average American.
Shocking numbers, and I can't help but wonder that if 95% of white people don't have a black friend, is the reverse also true? Do 95% of black people have no white friends? If they do have any, of course, they would have to be from the remaining 5% of white people, correct?

75% of white Americans don't know a black person at all? That seems especially surprising since Brown vs. Board of Education passed nearly 70 years ago (1954). It seems fair to assume that most of us alive today attended racially integrated schools, and virtually every large place of employment is now integrated.

I personally have known people of other races my entire life and have friends from every race. In my 40 years as a teacher, I have had daily contact with members of every race and I'm pretty sure that Hawaii holds the number one spot for interracial families.

If possible, could you provide links to your numbers? I would like to do some additional research.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 02-25-2022 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Added a line

Old 02-25-2022, 09:19 AM

13,703 posts, read 7,984,033 times
The egregious example of was in San Francisco when Willie Brown was mayor. To be fair I don't believe hate crimes were on the books at that time. Anyway, a Black man beat up an older Chinese gent while riding a city bus. After being arrested the Black man claimed man called him the n-word. Problem is the Asian gent didn't speak any English. The Black man was ultimately charged with assault. However, Mayer Brown labeled what happened a "cultural misunderstanding"

Old 02-25-2022, 10:03 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,920 times
I see no problem if the DOJ starts charging more blacks with hate crimes IF they qualify. Historically hate crimes are majority whites committed against minorities, but I snicker at white people sitting safely and anonymously behind desks (and I am one of them but not one of the ones here crying that they are being attacked) crying foul, that they are the victims.
The greater problem is not that the DOJ should do more homework to see if crimes indeed qualify for hate crimes, but that some want to erase that there is a disparity here, and there is, and it has been a huge difference for hundreds of years, yet some are willing to try any lowlife tactic to try to erase history and its bearing on where we sit today.
Black crime is opportunistic, for the most part, and financial. We already know why, it's because it is easier to steal than it is to work 40 hours a week. Let's not forget for a minute that whites do this too, poor whites and rich whites, everyday, and in LARGER numbers financially when we include white-collar crime, embezzlement, ponzi schemes, etc., etc., etc. Frankly, poor black people financial crime in comparison is a joke to even attempt to compare the dollar amount at the end of the day.

So should the DOJ investigate whether a crime is financial or hate, or both? Of course. I'm assuming they already do, and I'm willing to bet that the numbers are pretty accurate.
I think the thread is crying foul where no foul exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates