Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 06:25 PM

50,906 posts, read 24,413,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Another shocking statement with no evidence offered to support it.

On another thread, a poster excitedly announced that the white on Asian hate crime rate was much higher than the black on Asian hate crime rate.

I read the linked article and learned that white on Asian hate crimes were mostly verbal. ("Go back to China" or perhaps "You caused Covid!")

Meanwhile, black on Asian hate crimes were most often violent. Ask Asians who they fear in America, and you will soon discover that it isn't white people.

White on black hate crimes, are always identified as such, while black on white hate crimes are often identified simply as crimes.

If there has been an explosion of hate crimes directed at blacks or Asians by whites, please show your evidence.

Providing complete and factually supported statements is crucial when creating believable posts.
https://www.npr.org/2021/08/31/10329...-than-a-decade

https://bjs.ojp.gov/library/publicat...ment-2010-2019

https://eji.org/news/fbi-reports-hat...l-in-12-years/

https://www.statista.com/chart/16100...ed-by-the-fbi/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54968498

Old 02-25-2022, 06:54 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,884,067 times
Quote:
I read the linked article and learned that white on Asian hate crimes were mostly verbal. ("Go back to China" or perhaps "You caused Covid!")
I'm not certain what it is you read in a linked article, but you are mistaken if you think that your examples above are "hate crimes." This is not to say that there have not been genuine "white on Asian hate crimes," however, or any other [insert race of your choice] on [insert race of your choice] hate crimes.

Verbally insulting someone such as saying "Go back to China!" or "You caused Covid!" is certainly hateful, may be considered to be bias incidents, but are not crimes as defined by the United States Department of Justice, which defines "hate crime" as involving "assault, murder, arson, vandalism, or threats to commit such crimes. It may also cover conspiring or asking another person to commit such crimes, even if the crime was never carried out." (see https://www.justice.gov/hatecrimes/l...ut-hate-crimes).

The FBI compiles annual statistics on hate crimes committed in the United States. These are verified, criminal acts -- not merely bias incidents such as the verbal insults that you gave as examples.

And, yes, there has definitely been an explosion of reported hate crimes in recent years. You will find the latest annual FBI statistics for the year 2020 at this link: https://crime-data-explorer.fr.cloud...ime/hate-crime

I will let others here extrapolate what they will from these published statistics, which include the type of hate crimes reported as well as the race of the offenders and victims.

Moderator's note to all here: Great Debates is a debate forum, where participants are expected to back up their claims with facts in order to support the position they have taken in a debate. For those who merely wish to make unsubstantiated outrage posts, you are welcome to take your anger to the Politics & Other Controversies forum.

Thank you.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,841,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I'm not certain what it is you read in a linked article, but you are mistaken if you think that your examples above are "hate crimes." This is not to say that there have not been genuine "white on Asian hate crimes," however, or any other [insert race of your choice] on [insert race of your choice] hate crimes.

Verbally insulting someone such as saying "Go back to China!" or "You caused Covid!" is certainly hateful, may be considered to be bias incidents, but are not crimes as defined by the United States Department of Justice, which defines "hate crime" as involving "assault, murder, arson, vandalism, or threats to commit such crimes. It may also cover conspiring or asking another person to commit such crimes, even if the crime was never carried out." (see https://www.justice.gov/hatecrimes/l...ut-hate-crimes).

Moderator's note to all here: Great Debates is a debate forum, where participants are expected to back up their claims with facts in order to support the position they have taken in a debate. For those who merely wish to make unsubstantiated outrage posts, you are welcome to take your anger to the Politics & Other Controversies forum.

Thank you.
Good information! I am hunting for the article I mentioned and haven't found it yet. Meanwhile, I think the following is an important read, even though I disagree with the author.

https://theconversation.com/white-su...-the-us-157566

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2022, 11:56 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,537,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Both incidents occurred years ago, well before the pandemic.

As to slurs directed at yellow people, many times it is in the ear of the beholder. Just saying Wuhan or China virus was interpreted as a slur, by those on the far left and their media lackeys. This despite the fact CNN, MSNBC and other reporters/talking heads were all using those terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZtCq1aj2g

Funny how it only became a slur when Trump said it.

As to stats related to violent crime perpetrated across racial lines, we all know it is not even close with blacks per capita being far more likely to be violent toward whites, than visa versa. Of course they as a group are more likely to be victims of violence from their own race.
Go into bad areas, and the decent law abiding black folks want more police protection, from the predators in their neighborhoods.
Sadly many cannot afford to get out and be able to live normal lives.
Maybe the slurs the black people allegedly used were in the ear of the beholder as well. I'm well aware of the disparity of violent crime between the races, but that means absolutely nothing regarding my original question

Old 02-26-2022, 06:16 AM

35,124 posts, read 17,087,061 times
Quote:
Good information! I am hunting for the article I mentioned and haven't found it yet. Meanwhile, I think the following is an important read, even though I disagree with the author.

https://theconversation.com/white-su...-the-us-157566

Thanks!
I'm glad you disagree with the linked article. Here's one juicy but incoherent excerpt:
Quote:
White supremacy is an ideology, a pattern of values and beliefs that are ingrained in nearly every system and institution in the U.S. It is a belief that to be white is to be human and invested with inalienable universal rights and that to be not-white means you are less than human – a disposable object for others to abuse and misuse.
The dehumanization of Asian people by U.S. society is driven by white supremacy and not by any Black person who may or may not hate Asians.
What the author is saying is that because some whites have inappropriate thoughts, all blacks and Asians are dehumanized and have no duty to act as a human. He doesn't come out and say it of course but that is what he means. White supremacy, to my way of thinking, is the KKK and David Dukes, Ian Smith, the former ruler of Rhodesia n/k/a Zimbabwe or the apartheid system.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:24 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,601,233 times
Because there isn't a history of discrimination against whites in this country, like there is against blacks and other minorities.

Also because there isn't a history of organized crimes against whites, like there is of organized crimes against blacks in this country (the KKK, an organized terrorist organization, some would argue, which at one time included Congressman and other prominent political figures).

But I suppose they could, if they could find a group of blacks who hunted down and murdered a white man jogging through their black subdivision because they thought he was a thief/burglar. Generally the black on white crimes are for theft or just regular crimes, not inflicted on the white victim because he/she was white.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,841,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

What I see, among my younger family is that right around 9th grade their circle of friends collapses to include only members of their own race. The posters on their walls which might have included Madonna or Britney Spears, etc. starts to be exclusively of rappers or Beyonce or Rihanna. I remember being bused to a white school and having white friends, but by the time I graduated out of high school I really didn't socialize with white kids anymore. Pretty sure it wasn't my choice.
Aloha, I just wanted to comment that I have witnessed the same things during my 40 years as a teacher.

In the high schools here in Maui (and California), kids self-segregate whenever they are given the opportunity. I did not see that often while working at middle schools.

At lunch our cafeterias are divided by ethnicity: Hawaiians sit in one area, Tongans in another, Mexicans in another, and so on. Fortunately, there is little animosity between the various groups and they mix easily when necessary. White and black kids are scarce, and they usually join one of the larger groups.

"Kill a Haole Day" is a legendary Hawaiian event when white kids were given beat-downs by everyone else. It reached its pinnacle in the 1970s but is still mentioned often, mostly in jest. (I have heard that there is even a movie about it.) Racism here is usually non-violent. Most often it involves the "silent treatment".

Meanwhile, kids of every ethnicity call each other the N-word constantly. Probably as a result of popular culture and the fact that there are few black kids to be offended by it.

I am not offended by self-segregation and don't believe that we should be constantly forced together. Personally, I have 7 hanai grandkids, all mixed-race. Two of them live with me and all of them bring me constant happiness!

Hawaii is typically cited as the most mixed-race state in the union as well as one of the safest. It would be nice to see this kind of "Aloha" spread to the mainland as well.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:59 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,617,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
We know that Human Resources departments all over America routinely circular file resumes they receive from individuals with names that self identify as Black, or even just have names that sound Black. You know this and yet you slide the quoted into what was an otherwise rather reasonable post. Why did you do that?

Opportunity. That is the 800lb. word missing from your opinion. We all need it. Even self starting white entrepreneurs need opportunity. I know a brilliant black MD. Stanford trained, top of their class, yet routinely denied surgery residences on both coasts and in between, and even after going into Psychiatry was eventually forced into a state job in a non-medical capacity just to secure steady and gainful employment.

You can't work 40hr/wk if your employer only gives you 20 but intentionally and randomly staggers your hours such that you cannot work anywhere else. You can't work at all if you are not wanted anywhere. Black men are not wanted anywhere in a salaried capacity in the large majority of workplaces. Black women are more desired, but still will succeed only when EEO quotas need to be met and the black woman can tick two boxes. In my state a Lesbian black woman with a disability has recently been hired to some position of significance somewhere. She would never have been considered if she had been missing any of the other protected categories. And, as you know, just this morning it was announced that the nominee for the Supreme Court is a black woman. Little else about her is significant. That's how blacks get gainful employment in this country, by being black at the right time and place. Otherwise they don't.

I don't understand the casual disrespect and the knowing distortion of facts when the outcome is so painful for so many. I don't expect you to singlehandedly right the wrongs of American Apartheid Society but I don't expect to see reTweets of bogus racist tropes by someone attempting to sound reasoned and knowledgeable.
I support blacks and fight racism against them every single darn day online. I can't stand it, it resides in my immediate family, in my neighbors, everywhere I turn, yet will far too often be denied (with outright lying) by supremacists.
I've lived outside of Detroit for most of my 60 years. I know the truths of inner cities.

But with every accusation, there is usually a grain of truth, and denying the grain of truth is the problem. There is black opportunistic crime that happens with theft and happens often. To deny it is to make others distrust and dismiss my posts. I won't let that happen, I will acknowledge that theft goes on without a good reason.
I love Chicago, and watching the mag mile get looted TWICE broke my heart. Also LA, CA.

As for opportunity lacking for blacks in inner cities, (and outside of them for that matter) definitely. Lack of education hurts them incredibly, and it's generational, because children rarely surpass their parents in meaningful numbers unless they landed in a spectacular school district. Watching PBS isn't enough of an influence, it must come from within the family, it must come from the school system also, or inner city kids won't be able to rise above the peer pressure.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:52 PM

1,702 posts, read 786,946 times
Why doesn’t the DOJ ever charge Female on Male crimes as hate crimes?

Why doesn’t the DOJ ever charge Immigrant on ICE crimes as hate crimes?

Why doesn’t the DOJ ever charge Native American on Post Colonial American crimes as hate crimes?

Why doesn’t the DOJ ever charge LGBT crimes on straight people as hate crimes?

Hopefully Op, you’ll see the above and apply its’ pattern to your own question. Personally (having lived this) I see your original question as provocative, so I can only answer it in the manner posed.

Last edited by SerlingHitchcockJPeele; 02-27-2022 at 03:03 PM..

Old 02-27-2022, 05:06 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,884,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Why doesn’t the DOJ ever charge Female on Male crimes as hate crimes?

Why doesn’t the DOJ ever charge Immigrant on ICE crimes as hate crimes?

Why doesn’t the DOJ ever charge Native American on Post Colonial American crimes as hate crimes?

Why doesn’t the DOJ ever charge LGBT crimes on straight people as hate crimes?

Hopefully Op, you’ll see the above and apply its’ pattern to your own question. Personally (having lived this) I see your original question as provocative, so I can only answer it in the manner posed.

Since the OP has not returned to this "debate" that he/she started, I can only agree that the topic was perhaps intended merely to provoke. It's perhaps time to put this to rest.

Thank you to all who participated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates