Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 04:28 PM

37,493 posts, read 61,466,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I don't know that I've read of a single major metropolitan area that hasn't experienced a significant rise in crime in the last two years.

As to whether 'mass incarceration' makes us safer, there's absolute 100% undeniable proof that when Joe Bad Guy goes away for life the third time he rapes somebody, he's not going to be raping anyone else besides another inmate. I feel safer.
It seems to me that I have seen many articles of late talking about the increase in crime in the major metropolitan areas, while the overall nationwide crime rate has gone down.

The articles I have seen have uniformly blamed the Dems who lead those major metropolitan areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 04:47 PM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It seems to me that I have seen many articles of late talking about the increase in crime in the major metropolitan areas, while the overall nationwide crime rate has gone down.

The articles I have seen have uniformly blamed the Dems who lead those major metropolitan areas.
I hate to break the news to you that city governments do not write the criminal code. Judges are generally employed by states, not cities. Prisons are operated by states.

Maybe people want to blame "dems who lead major metropolitan areas" for crime, but there is little basis for it. Perhaps, you could explain the connection. I haven't found it.

I personally think the Covid 19 epidemic has placed a lot of strain on the social fabric of this country. Nor did it help to have a former chief executive who talked regularly about violence. As we move away from Covid straining our society greatly I expect the situation with crime will gradually improve.

Old 05-14-2022, 04:57 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,693,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I hate to break the news to you that city governments do not write the criminal code. Judges are generally employed by states, not cities. Prisons are operated by states.

Maybe people want to blame "dems who lead major metropolitan areas" for crime, but there is little basis for it. Perhaps, you could explain the connection. I haven't found it.

I personally think the Covid 19 epidemic has placed a lot of strain on the social fabric of this country. Nor did it help to have a former chief executive who talked regularly about violence. As we move away from Covid straining our society greatly I expect the situation with crime will gradually improve.
This. FL’s gun murder capital is Jacksonville, which elected a Republican mayor in 2015, IIRC. Violent crime there has continued to increase, so it certainly doesn’t have anything to do with who is in power.

I think some of the issues recently have been because some people who were sentenced and in prison were let out due to COVID concerns in the prison. From what I’ve read, more than a 1 million people were released early from prison, and while the vast majority are non-violent and likely have caused no issues, that’s not the case for everyone. Some undoubtedly were let out who should still be in prison.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:49 PM

37,493 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I hate to break the news to you that city governments do not write the criminal code.
I did not imply anything otherwise.

Quote:
... Judges are generally employed by states, not cities. Prisons are operated by states.
If you keep typing will you eventually get to a point?

Quote:
... Maybe people want to blame "dems who lead major metropolitan areas" for crime, but there is little basis for it. Perhaps, you could explain the connection. I haven't found it.
I can not imagine how you have missed any of the daily news articles expounding on this phenomena.

Quote:
... I personally think the Covid 19 epidemic has placed a lot of strain on the social fabric of this country.
Maybe you are right, maybe it is all due to the Covid Relief payments, I am not sure.

Could you possibly explain how those payments placed strain on the social fabric?

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 05-15-2022 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: Removed snarky comment about "Hussein." This is the Great Debates forum. Please read and abide by the rules for debate.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:45 PM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:

I can not imagine how you have missed any of the daily news articles expounding on this phenomena.
I try to read something more objective than conservative journals and Fox News. However, if you cannot provide an explanation for why "dems in big cities" are responsible for the increase in crime rates you have an unsustainable position. I'm afraid you have to do more than suggest I read "daily news articles". Which ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveIt View Post
I have found it. You left out some important facts critical to your position if that is the one you want to take, and that is the state's attorney is the one who decides whether or not to file charges and they are elected at the county level. The locally elected prosecutors who are not charging, reducing charges, etc. are to blame as are LOCALLY elected judges.
Usually a prosecutor is elected at a county wide level. That is correct. Judicial selection varies though. Most states have a system where judges are appointed the the state's governor and than if than they may sit for retention elections in their judicial district. Retention elections in most states do not have opponents. Rather the judge runs against himself. If he gets more "no" votes than "yes" votes he is not retained and the governor must make another appointment.

You cannot blame one political party or another for the crime wave simply because it is more complicated than that. Most of it has to do with issues created by Covid 19. As a previous poster pointed out, Covid 19 resulted in the release of some people from jail who should not have been released. There were also issues about not being able to hold jury trials and not being able to keep those charged with crimes locked up indefinitely. I also think there is another factor that is more esoteric. Covid 19 created a lot of stress and tension in this country that found a manifestation in anti-social behavior or crime. Anyway, if you want to blame the "dems" for the increase in crime have at it. It is a nonsensical and unsustainable position though.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 05-15-2022 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: Removed response to another poster's deleted comment.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:01 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:

Can you share some of those articles with us? Democrats who lead major metropolitan areas don't cause crime and they don't encourage it. They don't tell Police not to arrest people or encourage prosecutors not to charge them with crimes. The correlation between crime and major metro areas is poverty, and not enough jobs for people who have a limited education.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:15 PM

2,352 posts, read 859,479 times
Defunding the police after the George Floyd tragedy wasn't exactly the smartest of moves, neither was discontinuing the bail system. The LAPD budget was cut by a few million. More then likely one of the LAPD casualties were the gang suppression units. There was a very noticeable rise in crime afterwards especially gang shootings and many officers with enough time served drawing their pensions and leaving A sad decline for the LAPD since the days of Chief Bratton.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The number one function of incarceration is to get the habitual criminal off the street.

A 2 time offender upon completion of his sentence can move to another jurisdiction/country.
I'm not sure what good it would to do require someone to move to another county, they would most likely be
homeless and even more desperate than they were the first time they were arrested. But there are things we could do other than throw everyone in prison. I'm only talking about non-violent crimes here. Why not have them stay in halfway houses and require them to work until they repay their victim? And in their spare time they can learn a trade, participate in drug rehab or get their GED. As it stands, if someone steals your car you aren't going to get a penny unless your insurance covers it, but you will pay more taxes from having to build and operate more prisons to house all these people. And one thing about prison is that it's the best education in criminality that money can buy - go in stealing cars and come out doing home invasion robberies.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Defunding the police after the George Floyd tragedy wasn't exactly the smartest of moves, neither was discontinuing the bail system. The LAPD budget was cut by a few million. More then likely one of the LAPD casualties were the gang suppression units. There was a very noticeable rise in crime afterwards especially gang shootings and many officers with enough time served drawing their pensions and leaving A sad decline for the LAPD since the days of Chief Bratton.
LAPD cuts in 2020 were restored the following year and crime actually went up after the cuts were restored. Not really shocking because there's only so much cops can do to prevent crime, their primary job is to respond to a crime in progress, or one that has already occurred and mitigate the damage.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Just so you know, it wasn't conservatives who passed Three Strikes. Might want to look it up. Even liberals don't like feeling unsafe.
Three strikes laws were passed in a number of states, so I'm not sure what to make of your comment. In California Prop 184 (3 strikes) was approved by a majority of voters and signed into law by Pete Wilson, a Republican. Similar laws were passed all over the US, in both blue and red states.
https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...nt-states.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates