Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 02:31 AM

491 posts, read 393,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But it costs a million dollars a year to keep an inmate in a California prison, so do you put a chronic car thief in prison for 15 or 20 years? It would be far cheaper to just buy his victims new cars. Someone has to make decisions about which prisoners we are afraid of rather than just angry with and lock up the ones who pose an immediate threat to the public and deal with the others the best we can.
Please do a little research before throwing numbers like those out.

https://lao.ca.gov/policyareas/cj/6_cj_inmatecost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 08:58 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryfreak View Post
Please do a little research before throwing numbers like those out.

https://lao.ca.gov/policyareas/cj/6_cj_inmatecost
You are absolutely right, it's about 100k or a million over 10 years. I meant to say a million over a decade and botched that big time, my apologies

Old 05-08-2022, 04:00 PM

491 posts, read 393,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You are absolutely right, it's about 100k or a million over 10 years. I meant to say a million over a decade and botched that big time, my apologies
Thanks for manning up. Not many do that. (Manning up is hopefully applicable to both genders?)

Old 05-10-2022, 04:02 AM

908 posts, read 441,006 times
I am of the opinion that capital punishment is preferable to life imprisonment in the case of crimes which merit such severity , a view that I have expounded on elsewhere but will gladly reiterate if requested , which is part of the reason as to why I oppose three strikes laws as commonly defined .

The other part of the reason as to why I oppose three strikes laws as commonly defined is because I do not believe that those who commit crimes meriting such a response deserve " three strikes " , i.e. a murderer or a rapist should not get two more " strikes " to re offend in such a way .

The third reason for my opposition to three strikes laws as commonly defined is due to the oft mentioned enormous financial cost the practice of life imprisonment imposes upon taxpaying society , when far more effective punishments are readily at hand in my view .

Last but not least , three strikes laws which involve crimes that shouldn't be crimes ( like f.ex possessing small amounts of drugs for personal use ) are manifestly immoral IMHO and in the spirit of true liberalism I am very much in favor of phasing out these sorts of laws on grounds of being opposed to three strikes laws as commonly defined as well .

P.S. I'm not necessarily opposed to three strikes laws which do not result in life imprisonment , however I nonetheless lean towards other forms of punishment ( such as the handing out of severe beatings upon due conviction for repeat offenders ) as being far more effective/less costly means of crime reduction than the sanction of mere imprisonment .

Old 05-10-2022, 05:52 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Three violent crimes? Sure. Some 17 year old urban kid with marijuana, shoplifting, and a b & e conviction? Nope.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
I am of the opinion that capital punishment is preferable to life imprisonment in the case of crimes which merit such severity , a view that I have expounded on elsewhere but will gladly reiterate if requested , which is part of the reason as to why I oppose three strikes laws as commonly defined .

The other part of the reason as to why I oppose three strikes laws as commonly defined is because I do not believe that those who commit crimes meriting such a response deserve " three strikes " , i.e. a murderer or a rapist should not get two more " strikes " to re offend in such a way .

The third reason for my opposition to three strikes laws as commonly defined is due to the oft mentioned enormous financial cost the practice of life imprisonment imposes upon taxpaying society , when far more effective punishments are readily at hand in my view .

Last but not least , three strikes laws which involve crimes that shouldn't be crimes ( like f.ex possessing small amounts of drugs for personal use ) are manifestly immoral IMHO and in the spirit of true liberalism I am very much in favor of phasing out these sorts of laws on grounds of being opposed to three strikes laws as commonly defined as well .

P.S. I'm not necessarily opposed to three strikes laws which do not result in life imprisonment , however I nonetheless lean towards other forms of punishment ( such as the handing out of severe beatings upon due conviction for repeat offenders ) as being far more effective/less costly means of crime reduction than the sanction of mere imprisonment .
You know what disturbs me about these discussions advocating the death penalty or life imprisonment, or imposing severe beatings? We have corporations and politicians stealing from us every single day and we do absolutely nothing to them. We have embezzlers who under the guise of being a legitimate business clean out the bank accounts and abscond with the life savings of people who could least afford to lose money.

People are supposedly presumed innocent when arrested, but with enough money you can be released in a few hours, while those who can't afford it can languish in a county jail for years waiting for trial. Wage theft by employers costs workers an estimated $50 billion per year. All robberies, burglaries, larcenies, and motor vehicle thefts combined cost $14 billion per year. By the way, wage theft is almost never prosecuted it usually results in a civil penalty and a mandate to pay back the stolen money.

And just out of curiosity, how many millionaires have been executed in the US?

Old 05-10-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooGuyRVA View Post
By the way, if the B&E happens while the occupants are home and they are armed, then 17 year old urban kid gets the death penalty, for free.
Which state is executing people when they haven't killed anyone?

Old 05-10-2022, 03:27 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Two of those three are misdemeanors and it only applies to adult offenders anyway.
Are you referring to marijuana possession and shoplifting as being misdemeanors? Because, depending on what U.S. state you live in, they can very much be felony offenses.

Depending on number of ounces, whether transporting it, selling it, or cultivating it, marijuana possession can result in a felony offense in the following states: Alabama, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Tennessee, Utah, and Wisconsin.

Source: Legality of cannabis by U.S. jurisdiction

Different states also have different felony thresholds for shoplifting. The states of Connecticut, Florida, Virginia, Illinois, Kentucky, New Jersey, and New Mexico have the lowest felony thresholds, ranging from $200 to $500 value in shoplifted items.

Source: https://www.facefirst.com/blog/what-...rime-by-state/

Old 05-10-2022, 10:11 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Possession over a certain amount, making it obvious it's not for personal use, is charged as intent to distribute.

Dealing is not mere possession, and it is a felony.

If someone is going to steal valuable merchandise, or enough merchandise that it puts it over that limit, then it SHOULD be a felony.

There was a time in my life where losing $500 would mean I couldn't make rent.

No, I would not take kindly to Felon Frank getting a slap on the wrist and going home to his mom's house while I'm left homeless.

Here's a fun fact: People KNOW stealing is illegal.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Or to paraphrase the bible:

If your hand causeth thou to offend, cut it off. That is better than thou whole body being thrown into prison, for life, for thine third strike.
So a guy steals $1000 worth of merchandise three times for a total of $3,000.00.

The taxpayers are the real victims here with a three strike law. We get to pay $50,000 a year to incarcerate a thirty year old offender for a fifty year life span. That's $1,500,000.

Maybe you can't do cost benefit analysis. I can. I don't want my tax dollars spent on your idea of retribution.

It isn't worth putting someone in jail for life that does something on that order. You cannot see it. Rational people can.

Old 05-11-2022, 04:28 AM

34,999 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
So a guy steals $1000 worth of merchandise three times for a total of $3,000.00.

The taxpayers are the real victims here with a three strike law. We get to pay $50,000 a year to incarcerate a thirty year old offender for a fifty year life span. That's $1,500,000.

Maybe you can't do cost benefit analysis. I can. I don't want my tax dollars spent on your idea of retribution.

It isn't worth putting someone in jail for life that does something on that order. You cannot see it. Rational people can.
If they are not in the can:
  1. How many crimes?
  2. Against whom?
  3. What losses or injuries?
  4. What cost to social order?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates