Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 07:55 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,882,664 times

Advertisements

Exclusive-Former Republicans and Democrats form new third U.S. political party

Quoted from above link:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -Dozens of former Republican and Democratic officials announced on Wednesday a new national political third party to appeal to millions of voters they say are dismayed with what they see as America's dysfunctional two-party system.

The new party, called Forward and whose creation was first reported by Reuters, will initially be co-chaired by former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang and Christine Todd Whitman, the former Republican governor of New Jersey. They hope the party will become a viable alternative to the Republican and Democratic parties that dominate U.S. politics, founding members told Reuters.

Is this a first -- with some Republicans and some Democrats deciding to take bipartisan cooperation one step further in the formation of a new political party? I believe Democrat Andrew Yang's politics are centrist, and Republican Christine Todd Whitman is not a sycophant of Donald Trump.

Does this Forward Party appear viable to you? I would hope that its party platform is based less on mere compromise and more on getting things done that need doing.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:44 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,274,021 times
Yeah, I mentioned that party on the last page. Andrew Yang is who I preferred for president, and I agree heavily with all his stances, so I'd love to see this type of project be successful. But, not holding my breath, given the establishment status quo.

The big news of it here, is that the Forward Party absorbed two other similar type of efforts, so, they should at least be a little larger of a thing now. Another article on it:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...gop-officials/

Party website: https://www.forwardparty.com/

Old 07-28-2022, 11:50 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,050,602 times
Have there been examples of independents & 3rd parties being successful at the local & state level in recent history?

Have they then achieved if not a national federal presence, at least a regional one?

Again has this happened in recent history (i.e. within the last 50 years)?

Old 07-28-2022, 03:12 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post

Quoted from above link:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -Dozens of former Republican and Democratic officials announced on Wednesday a new national political third party to appeal to millions of voters they say are dismayed with what they see as America's dysfunctional two-party system.

The new party, called Forward and whose creation was first reported by Reuters, will initially be co-chaired by former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang and Christine Todd Whitman, the former Republican governor of New Jersey. They hope the party will become a viable alternative to the Republican and Democratic parties that dominate U.S. politics, founding members told Reuters.

Is this a first -- with some Republicans and some Democrats deciding to take bipartisan cooperation one step further in the formation of a new political party? I believe Democrat Andrew Yang's politics are centrist, and Republican Christine Todd Whitman is not a sycophant of Donald Trump.

Does this Forward Party appear viable to you? I would hope that its party platform is based less on mere compromise and more on getting things done that need doing.

Well, I can hope as I truly believe the current two-party system is the greatest threat the future of this nation faces, this work of trying to claim there are only two solutions to any problem, 'ours' or 'theirs', is ridiculous.

But my guess is, despite how much the (D)s and (R)s may enjoy pointing fingers at each other, they'll ally themselves and fight together tooth and nail against any third-party threat to what they both consider their turf.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:48 PM

6,477 posts, read 6,686,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post

Quoted from above link:

At this point just about any new party would be worth my looking into. If ever there were a time for a new party to rise up, I think it's now. I’ve said for the past few years that both D and R are becoming more extreme and unacceptable to the vast majority of the normal, sane, middle of the road people I know.

If a party were to focus on sound economic policy and securing our borders, I could tolerate just about anything else.

Bonuses for me would be:
Abortions legal in first trimester only (with only a few exceptions).
Return control over education to local or maybe state.
Cut wasteful spending (I know that's vague).
Welfare reform (do not incentivize laziness or having multiple babies when you can't afford them.)
Stop the transgender nonsense (no males being put in women's prisons, sports teams, locker rooms; no tax dollars for removal of genitals or gender-altering hormones.
Term limits and age limits for all elected officials.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:07 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
At this point just about any new party would be worth my looking into. If ever there were a time for a new party to rise up, I think it's now. I’ve said for the past few years that both D and R are becoming more extreme and unacceptable to the vast majority of the normal, sane, middle of the road people I know.

If a party were to focus on sound economic policy and securing our borders, I could tolerate just about anything else.

Bonuses for me would be:
Welfare reform (do not incentivize laziness or having multiple babies when you can't afford them.)
Stop the transgender nonsense (no males being put in women's prisons, sports teams, locker rooms; no tax dollars for removal of genitals or gender-altering hormones.
Here's my take on what an independent party would stand for as their platform.

A. End the culture war nonsense once and for all by:
- Allow and protect same-sex and inter-racial marriage.
- Abortions legal first 18 weeks (exceptions for rape, incest, safety of mother, non-viability of fetus, serious medical/mental issues).
- Cut abortion numbers with comprehensive sex ed to include birth control info and make BC products available and covered by insurances.
- Assure family creation and support by funding pre/post-natal care, child care, family leave.
- Allow end of life "death with dignity" for all citizens, covered by Medicare and/or insurances.
- Transgender athletes must compete within the gender they were born with.
- No Federal funded gender-reassignments, breast implants, etc, to include military personnel/spouses or prison inmates.

B. Education that supports the future in a global economy by:
- Local or state control over education, with some Federal guidelines for equal treatment of all students. Can't graduate dummies, can't low-fund minority districts.
- Fund college / trade school education to assure our people are prepared to succeed. Could require some form of national service in exchange. Need to stop importing nurses and construction workers.

C. Government operations better managed by:
- End waste by auditing Federal expenditures against mandated performance and outcome metrics.
- Welfare was reformed in the mid 1990s by Clinton and Gingrich to a lifetime max of 5 years.
- Term limits for elected officials AND Federal judges. Exceptions must be approved by 2/3 majority of the Senate.
- Hire thousands of auditors at IRS to go after cheaters who cost us $500B per year. Jail worst offenders.
- Corporations must pay a minimum tax of 15%, to include our international players who're protected by our massive DoD expenditures.
- End numerous tax loopholes and giveaways like the oil depletion allowance, farm subsidies, etc.
- Mortgage deduction only for one primary residence.
- End investors taking depreciation for single family homes and townhouses they own and rent out. Take the steam out of home buying so young people aren't priced out as they now are.

D. Climate issues addressed by:
- Focus on renewable energy, use tax incentives as needed.
- Possible mandatory rooftop solar funded by the utility firms instead of them spending for more plants powered by fossil-fuels.
- Keep researching nuclear power issues, i.e., fusion reactors.
- Build Small Modular Reactors and deploy them where conditions fit.

E. Miscellaneous topics addressed by:
- Minimum wage = living wage, indexed for inflation, no exceptions for retail, restaurant or part-time work. Farm labor?
- Fix the immigration laws, manage the borders.
- Raise Federal gas tax to catch up for inflation since 1993, indexed for inflation. Spent on infrastructure.
- Reform Social Security and Medicare to insure long-term solvency.
- Expand Medicare to all, as an option to private insurance.
- Raise the mailing costs for all junk mail, bulk mail, to assure USPS solvency, employee benefits, etc.
- Outlaw all robo calls, even for politicians, prosecute the offenders.
- Federal funding of all Federal elections, get Citizens United dark money out of our elections. Every dollar received by candidates, PACs and Super PACs must be identified by source; every dollar spent must be for that campaign and documented. Unspent funds move to U.S.Treasury.
- Separation of church and state. Tax the church for gross receipts at 15%.
- No firearm buys until age 21, all buys/trades/gifts require background check to include mental health history.

I'll probably think up more later, but an independent party that focuses on these core issue should succeed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-31-2022 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-31-2022, 04:01 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
As of 2021 the Libertarian Party is the third largest political party in the USA.

The [Libertarian] platform emphasizes individual liberty in personal and economic affairs, avoidance of "foreign entanglements" and military and economic intervention in other nations' affairs, and free trade and migration.

The party opposes gun control.

It calls for Constitutional limitations on government as well as the elimination of most state functions.

It includes a "Self-determination" section which quotes from the Declaration of Independence and reads: "Whenever any form of government becomes destructive of individual liberty, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to agree to such new governance as to them shall seem most likely to protect their liberty".

The party favors minimally regulated markets,
a less powerful federal government,
strong civil liberties (including LGBT rights, with the party supporting same-sex marriage),
the liberalization of drug laws,
separation of church and state,
open immigration,
non-interventionism and neutrality in diplomatic relations,
free trade and free movement to all foreign countries and a more representative republic.

In 2018, the Libertarian Party became the first in the United States to call for the decriminalization of sex work.

The party since 2022 has no official stance on abortion. [abortion should never be paid for from tax revenue, otherwise that is a personal decision to be made by the individual seeking an abortion]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libert...ates)#Platform

Personally, I do not agree with the Open Borders part. But overall, I tend to side with the Libertarians far more frequently than I do with Republicans or Democrats.

Also, something the wiki page left out is they want to end the Federal Reserve.

Old 07-31-2022, 04:19 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,066,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

Bonuses for me would be:

I agree with all of this, only having a third party may or may not resolve the main issue; being lack of bi-partisan politics. Up until recently, both parties were able to agree on enough for some progress; leading me to conclude it's the politicians and not the 2 party system at fault.
On your term limits, the states would have to perform this necessary implementation, as of course; Congress would never pass their own. Plus it's a conflict of interest:
https://www.termlimits.com/term-limits-amendment/

"More than 500 applications have been made by the states asking for an Article V Convention on various topics. To date, a proposal convention of states has never been called. However, 3/4s of the states in convention did ratify the repeal of the prohibition amendment in 1933"

Old 07-31-2022, 07:45 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times
I can't agree with the Libertarian point of view. I know a libertarian and he's against universal health care (which I think we could benefit from even if we still retain some health insurance offered by employers), he's against helping anyone (but I bet if he could get some help he would accept it) etc. I am not for open borders but FOR immigration reform. Also for welfare reform but not a limit because some people probably do need it for a longer time. Reform would mean more incentives for getting off welfare, such as not losing your housing as soon as you make any money, not losing your health insurance just because you started working.

The compromises that have already been listed here by a couple of posters sound acceptable to me. A lot of us think both parties have gone way too far to the point of being useless. Even though I'm a Democrat I don't want to see biological men competing against women in sports and I don't want men in women's restrooms either. I also don't care for the emphasis on transgender everything when there are important issues in this country that need to be resolved.

Anyway, how could anyone ban interracial marriage? Was it ever banned? Frowned upon, but banned? There are a large number of people who are of mixed racial heritage so how are any tyrants going to determine what race they are and who they are allowed to marry? A law like that would be crazy.

But can the Forward party get enough publicity and money and enthusiasm to make a difference? I'd love to see that happen because it seems that it would be the only thing that might save this country from falling apart.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:33 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Inter-racial marriage used to be banned in some old Confederate states. It took a Supreme Court case, Loving vs. Virginia, to outlaw bans on such marriages. Lately some so-called conservatives have been mouthing off about the topic with an eye towards banning it again. Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban recently spoke with Tucker Carlson of Fox to say he opposes 'race mixing.' Trump loves the guy thus the MAGA crowd will eat up the race mixing aspects. Orban also used other dog whistle terms like “population replacement or inundation” to crank up the crowds. Orban is due to speak at CPAC in the week ahead, that should be fun to see.

I can't agree with a lot of the Libertarian scheme. A return to isolationism is a non-starter given our place in the global economy and world order. Isolationism in the past only led to us getting dragged into conflicts at a later stage. A notable chunk of our economy is based on global trade.

Sending power back to state government just opens the door to Jim Crow Version Two. We've seen that show before, doing it again will just disenfranchise black voters which is a large part of the clamor for "states rights" and local control. Education is bad enough in red states as it is, giving all the authority on education back to red states will be a disaster.

Immigration reform and meaningful borders. Work visas for farm workers along with some sort of minimum wage and dignity items like porta-potties in the fields they work, etc.

I'm all for universal, single payer health care as a basic human right . . . all that life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness stuff.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-31-2022 at 08:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.