Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 02:19 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You can't get along in a no-electricity house.
But you can get along in a no-gas house. Millions of Americans live in all-electric houses. 25% of American houses are all-electric. I'm guessing 0% are all-gas.
I lived for over a year in a place with no electricity. I got along just fine.

I have spent decades with people who build their own homes and live off the grid or semi- off the grid.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:43 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And you don't see talk about banning gas cooking as an "attack"? What would constitute an attack if not legal bans against it?
There are legislations about to be introduced that was leaked out in CA, NYC that starts by prohibiting new construction from getting licensed for gas lines to be installed into these new buildings. Which means every resident must use electricity for all their equipment. Also leaked was legislation about banning new restaurants from using gas to cook which may or may not be a deal breaker as some owners are using the state of the art electrical burners that heats food faster than using gas.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:51 PM

821 posts, read 464,774 times
Because it is a plentiful and cheap threat to the Green Energy scam.
I remember delivering groceries to old widow women whose houses were like walking into blast furnaces their gas heaters were turned up so high. But these old girls were like 70-80+. Houses back then were a lot draftier I will concede but at some point every living thing has to ground itself with common sense so you just take that into account and open a couple of windows a little. Not rocket science. But then, we seem to love making life complicated now-days.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:24 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times
Its interesting some people mentioned plastics I read something that certain plastics ie the ambigous grocery bags that eco groups waged war on the last ten years was actually a recycle of a waste byproduct of producing natural gas that otherwise must be burned. I was thinking the war on plastic would lead to a war on natural gas and it appears to materalize as large amount of whats left by natural gas production have no place to go and created a totally new problem. I don't know if its the case with straws though.

Though it appears big business and corporations are lobbying for these in order to find a perfect excuse to cut or should I say penny pinch on overhead costs and even profit of it. Or just to look green. I know that fitness centers such as 24 hour fitness cut towel service from its upgraded clubs without lowering membership costs using the Go green excuse but is essentially bait and switch at best which was the same as when they abruptly upgraded many clubs after people signed up to get them to pay more without any extra amenities.

Its interesting how California remained pro natural gas even after those devasting earthquakes and fires meaning for many years it can be powered with natural gas it must be powered with natural gas, for many years one cannot find a electric dryer plug at all. However the state all of a sudden turned against it in 2019.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:26 AM

821 posts, read 464,774 times
I think one of the legs of this "movement" is that investors, yes, like your 401K, demand growth now-days. There can be no growth without change. There can be no change without turning from what was. The markets for this new fad are tremendous and can't be stopped just by common sense until this reaches financial equilibrium and the markets hate equilibrium. It's just the way things work with public companies.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:25 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Its interesting some people mentioned plastics I read something that certain plastics ie the ambigous grocery bags that eco groups waged war on the last ten years was actually a recycle of a waste byproduct of producing natural gas that otherwise must be burned. I was thinking the war on plastic would lead to a war on natural gas and it appears to materalize as large amount of whats left by natural gas production have no place to go and created a totally new problem. I don't know if its the case with straws though.

Though it appears big business and corporations are lobbying for these in order to find a perfect excuse to cut or should I say penny pinch on overhead costs and even profit of it. Or just to look green. I know that fitness centers such as 24 hour fitness cut towel service from its upgraded clubs without lowering membership costs using the Go green excuse but is essentially bait and switch at best which was the same as when they abruptly upgraded many clubs after people signed up to get them to pay more without any extra amenities.

Its interesting how California remained pro natural gas even after those devasting earthquakes and fires meaning for many years it can be powered with natural gas it must be powered with natural gas, for many years one cannot find a electric dryer plug at all. However the state all of a sudden turned against it in 2019.
Plastic bags are not made from natural gas waste streams, they are made from polyethylene, which is polymerized ethylene. Ethylene is made from natural gas or from naptha.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:17 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But very rare. I have heard of a couple over my lifetime, but I have never actually known anyone whose house blew up. And if gas is so dangerous, how did so many people I've known who lived to be 90 get there? Women who spent their whole lives cooking on gas stoves.

It's just SO much better and easier to cook with flame. You can immediately adjust the heat instead of having to try to think ahead and wait a couple minutes before the burner goes up or down. Or waiting for water to boil forever.

Ugh, I miss my gas stove. I am somewhere else that has one of those stupid glass cooktops.

No, you are not!
Well MQ, yourself and Sheena both post enough along with myself in the "Paganism" forum. So for us it's a whole Air, Fire, Water elements type thing, and I of course join both of you in gas stove sentiment.

Let me tell you, someone forgot to tell people selling high end gas range tops what's going on. Even second hand people are asking a small fortune for them.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:45 AM

10,225 posts, read 6,312,506 times
I have had just about everything, and a combination. Oil heat, Natural Gas, Electric (Florida) and now Propane tank outside with electric stove. Drive around here in the Poconos and you will see Propane tanks in people's yards. Mountain "thing"? Electric stoves.

The gas heat piped from the street was wonderful. No deliveries and very clean unlike oil heat. With gas heat had gas stoves. One time I did have a problem with the gas stove. Started smelling gas in the house. Called the gas company. First thing the serviceman did was check the stove, not the gas heater.

The pilot light was out. He told me that it must be kept lit at all times. I certainly did not distinguish it. Never knew about that. He took a big match and lit it. BIG POOF. Scared me. I'll pass on doing that, and gas stoves. Is this maybe what they are referring to with gas stoves ban?

I like the electric stoves, but not my glass top.There is no such thing as low setting it. I have it turned down to almost off and it still get ripping HOT. Takes a good 45 minutes after turning it off to completely cool down. Forget trying to simmer low and slow. It BOILS everything, especially my spaghetti sauce. I would rather have the electric coils.

I find myself using my Smart Cooker, on Slow Cooker setting, more and more instead of that glass cooktop. Time settings and will turn itself off. Probably uses less electricity than a stove.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:30 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
Because it is a plentiful and cheap threat to the Green Energy scam.
I remember delivering groceries to old widow women whose houses were like walking into blast furnaces their gas heaters were turned up so high. But these old girls were like 70-80+. Houses back then were a lot draftier I will concede but at some point every living thing has to ground itself with common sense so you just take that into account and open a couple of windows a little. Not rocket science. But then, we seem to love making life complicated now-days.
The bolded is exactly right.

The study on the possible harms of gas stoves was funded by the Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) - a WEF partner that makes money off of consulting on low-carbon solutions and pushing green energy transitions.

https://www.weforum.org/organization...tain-institute

https://rmi.org/insight/gas-stoves-pollution-health/

Here's the study:

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/20/1/75

Note the top of the "study":

Quote:
Population Attributable Fraction of Gas Stoves and Childhood Asthma in the United States
by Talor Gruenwald 1,†,Brady A. Seals 1,*ORCID,Luke D. Knibbs 2,3 andH. Dean Hosgood III 4ORCID
RMI, Carbon-Free Buildings, Boulder, CO 80301, USA
And here is someone explaining the so called horrible results:

Quote:
The gas stoves and childhood asthma research is a 3-pager that does 1 calculation and presents 1 figure based on a meta-analysis coefficient and aggregate data from 9 U.S. states. Let's hope no policies will be based on this paper despite the overblown attention it is receiving.
As per usual, follow the money.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 02-16-2023 at 09:44 AM..

Old 02-16-2023, 10:02 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,725,162 times
More:

Largest study on gas stoves and childhood asthma found NO connection:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24429203/

Read more here, it's long and full of information:

https://twitter.com/saeverley/status...18493305950208

Quote:
With all the talk about #gasstoves and alleged health threats, it's worth providing some background on where the research currently is on this issue, and how the feds suddenly decided these appliances are a health risk.
Also, learn how the WEF has its tentacles everywhere:

The WEF is a Limited Hangout designed to take all the attention while hundreds of organizations like the RMI and CRDF construct and implement the WEF agenda vertically, from the bottom up and top down, mostly from Red States where no one is looking.

Proof: https://www.ou.edu/research-norman/c...cal-institutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates