Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 01:58 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Why are you not able to report it? It's an expense. Even in home daycare can provide a receipt UNLESS they are not reporting that income on THEIR taxes.
Honestly, $2500 for two kids sounds cheap enough to me in a major city that they are probably all under the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 02:39 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Honestly, $2500 for two kids sounds cheap enough to me in a major city that they are probably all under the table.
Quote:
Why are you not able to report it? It's an expense. Even in home daycare can provide a receipt UNLESS they are not reporting that income on THEIR taxes.
Anyway, yes we pay under the table for it. That gives us a good enough discount. Doesn't make it suck any less though.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-15-2024 at 05:31 PM..

Old 03-15-2024, 09:31 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Anyway, yes we pay under the table for it. That gives us a good enough discount. Doesn't make it suck any less though.
Just because somebody doesn’t report their income wouldn’t stop me one second from taking advantage of any and all tax credit or deductions I could get.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductio...it-information

Old 03-16-2024, 09:23 AM

524 posts, read 247,051 times
Quote:
Just because somebody doesn’t report their income wouldn’t stop me one second from taking advantage of any and all tax credit or deductions I could get.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductio...it-information
Except in order to claim any of those deductions and credits, you must supply the tax ID number or social security number of the care provider. So, you know, the IRS can verify that they are reporting their income as a childcare provider.

Old 03-16-2024, 10:38 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearthcrafter View Post
Except in order to claim any of those deductions and credits, you must supply the tax ID number or social security number of the care provider. So, you know, the IRS can verify that they are reporting their income as a childcare provider.
So that’s different than our time with daycare. In any event I would certainly calculate the value of those tax benefits and weigh out what I’m losing or gaining by the current childcare arrangement. You may find switching daycare to a provider that actually works on the up and up may be cheaper in the long run.

Personally I wouldn’t do business with them. Even 20 years ago our in home daycare provider was subject to periodic state inspections and I’m pretty sure that means the business is registered and operating within tax code and compliance.

Old 03-16-2024, 04:48 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,524,778 times
Quote:
Wow sorry about the wrong country, lol. It's expensive there too!

All I can say is that it was expensive 25 years ago when we were looking. My wife opted for PT work- worked 2-3 days a week and she could work Saturday's too. We were on a waiting list for Miss Cindy (in home) but she was able to squeeze in our kids.

Money was TIGHT with daycare but manageable.
That is in Australia and daycare here is highly subsidised by the federal government. It is a complicated formula with lots of variables. But some families get a 90% rebate, which is paid to the provider.

Old 03-17-2024, 09:18 AM

17,399 posts, read 16,547,378 times
I quit my job to SAH after our first was born but for a time I worked in the evenings at an office job a few nights a week. My husband would come home from work and I'd cook dinner, give the baby a bath and get him into his PJs and then leave for my PT job. Our son was sleeping through the night at that point and he went to bed early (around 7pm) so my husband would read him a story and tuck him into his crib when his bedtime came.

The only downside was that our son was also a very early riser - up before the first crack of dawn around 5am. I'd get home from work at 11:00pm and then have to be up with the baby at 5:00am. It was doable but sort of exhausting I will not lie.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:22 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
There have been a couple of articles written in our local paper about this problem - specific to Mississippi, but still reflective of many areas.

Here's one:
It may be behind a paywall to you, but basically it points out the expense of daycare and how, in Mississippi, the lower wages earned by so many don't leave enough money to make work worthwhile for the family. So Mississippi has one of the lowest Labor Participation Rates in the nation. Many women are forced - in one way or the other - to stay at home.

Large, successful employers, like Toyota, are establishing their own day care centers located in such places so as to be convenient for Toyota workers. That sort of thing keeps employees.
But it's rare. Most employers can't even hope to reach that level of service for their employees.

I don't think it will ever improve. The child care question will remain unsolved and will be another contributing factor to the population decline talked about in another thread.
Having children back when families lived on farms and women did not work outside the home was fine. But once those families moved to town and both parents wanted careers, the number of children born plummeted.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:09 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,677,142 times
This is why I think the US Govt has chosen to solve the problem with letting in so many illegals in but majority of the illegals coming in are young men. If the US needs more workers at daycare they need more women but so far I have not seen many women coming here illegally. The cost of childcare will go up and won't help this country's population by letting in the worst and not the best.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:54 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
https://ckcc.asn.au/faq/

If this is your area this place is $118 p/day or $2360 p/mo, not including annual fees for various sundries. That's infant to 2 years of age.

That's expensive, no doubt, but it's under $3,000.

We found an in home caregiver, and my wife went FT to PT and we paid about $250 a week for 2 kids for 3 days a week. Of course that was 20 years ago, lol. Depending on a couples salary, it might make sense for one to go PT too offset the cost of childcare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What other daycare options are there besides centers, at-home providers, and nannies/nanny shares?

My assessment comes from a whole lot of research.

This isn't even the same country.

I've kept a pretty thorough spreadsheet for the past few years to keep track of costs, wait lists, etc. Most daycares don't list tuition, but here is one option that lists it publicly (and is subsidized by the university and student workers): https://www.lembergcc.org/pdfs/23-24-tuition-rates.pdf The cost goes down as children age, but this is actually on the lower end (especially if prorated by income) for my region. Nannies would significantly more than that. The daycare affiliated with work is $3700/mo for an infant AFTER the subsidies from work, but that's also right in the city versus the suburbs where I'm looking.

Local religious institutions (JCC, synagogues) have cheaper options, but they typically don't start until 3 or 4 and even then it's over $2500/mo.

While there are definitely some wildcards that are a lot cheaper in the region, the overall feeling from parents at work and in my social circle is that you take where ever you get off the waitlist, no matter the cost, due to the scarcity of spots.
Here are the staff ratios for the "cheaper" day care:
https://ckcc.asn.au/faq/

One educator to every four children - up to age 3
One educator to every eleven children - age 3 and over

Here are the recommended ratios:

https://childcare.gov/consumer-educa...nd-group-sizes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates