Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 12:00 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Our children did well when they were not in a classroom, and they were welcomed into college at much younger ages than usual.

"School failed me, and I failed the school. It bored me. The teachers behaved like sergeants. I wanted to learn what I wanted to know, but they wanted me to learn for the exam. What I hated most was the competitive system there, and especially sports. Because of this, I wasn't worth anything, and several times they suggested I leave. I felt that my thirst for knowledge was being strangled by my teachers; grades were their only measurement. How can a teacher understand youth with such a system? From the age of twelve, I began to suspect authority and distrust teachers." ~ Albert Einstein
Well that was in, what- late 1800's at a German Gymnasium? Of course it was rigid, lol.

When we were in school there was a TAG program- Talented and Gifted. We had some seriously bright kids in our area around the DC Beltway. If you tested and were approved you received advanced math and science courses, or languages etc. Kids got pulled from regular classes and we're immersed in advanced classes. Many of these people we know, and graduated with PhD's or Masters at very young ages.

Here in Montana and earlier in West Virginia our kids were tested and approved for the PEAK program which touts itself as a TAG program. In WV they were pulled from normal classes and immersed in advanced STEM- my kids loved it. But in Montana the PEAK program is A LOT different. They are exposed to art, social behavioral classes (the assumption that advanced kids have problems with social behaviors). It was a waaaaay different program and not one either my kids enjoyed or found worthwhile. They went back to regular classes and when available- they took advantage of early college level classes and AP classes.

As parents we talked to our kids whether they were bored or not satisfied. It was our responsibility to help guide them to things that would challenge them and make them fulfilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates