Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:58 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,611,395 times

Advertisements

This question appears to be one that sparks a very distinct reaction from everyone, in every field and at all ranges and levels of the political, business, and social spectrum. It shows up in our fundamental sense of fairness, our political aspirations and our livelihoods as taxpayers, business owners and employees.

Is it fair that the top 5-10% pay the majority of taxes?

Jps revision -
"Is it fair that the top 5 - 10% of the earners pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes than everybody else does?"

Quick reference for debate facts http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/

Last edited by walidm; 09-13-2008 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 01:03 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,642,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
This question appears to be one that sparks a very distinct reaction from everyone, in every field and at all ranges and levels of the political, business, and social spectrum. It shows up in our fundamental sense of fairness, our political aspirations and our livelihoods as taxpayers, business owners and employees.

Is it fair that the top 5-10% pay the majority of taxes?

*waves hand*

Me, me! Call me!

"Our" fundamental sense of fairness is not all the same. Define fair, then tell me fair to whom.

But, before you get to the important stuff, let me point out that I think you mean for your question to be slightly different than it is.

Even under a flat tax system in which each party pays a fixed percentage of income, the top 5-10% will pay the majority of taxes because they are making the majority of the money.

I think what you mean is "Is it fair that the top 5 - 10% of the earners pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes than everybody else does?"

Old 09-13-2008, 01:33 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,958,231 times
The thing is, with our current tax code, the wealthies tpay the most $$, but those making far less have a much greater tax burden.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:33 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,611,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
*waves hand*

Me, me! Call me!

"Our" fundamental sense of fairness is not all the same. Define fair, then tell me fair to whom.

But, before you get to the important stuff, let me point out that I think you mean for your question to be slightly different than it is.

Even under a flat tax system in which each party pays a fixed percentage of income, the top 5-10% will pay the majority of taxes because they are making the majority of the money.

I think what you mean is "Is it fair that the top 5 - 10% of the earners pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes than everybody else does?"
That sounds like a "fair" revision.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:11 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,489,971 times
Scary

Living Paycheck to Paycheck On $100,000 - Personal Finance * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

"Some 21 percent of those with salaries of $100,000 or more say they are living paycheck to paycheck, according to a recent survey conducted by CareerBuilder.com."

"While experts are quick to acknowledge that high gasoline prices, the slumping housing market and a generally weak economy are weighing on consumers' finances, they also agree that the general difficulty in making ends meet is also the result of persistently bad spending and saving habits that are now catching up with the spendthrift American."

Group's Share of Income Taxes
Top 50% 97.01%
Bottom 50% 2.99%
The same top 50% earns all together a little more than 7 times more than the bottom half. It's already very progressive. I think adding even more will bring more folks back into conservation mode.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 PM

103 posts, read 783,938 times
Raise the minimum wage to $20 a hour and the average Joe will be able to help carry the tax burden the poor rich are complaining about now.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:25 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,489,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marita View Post
Raise the minimum wage to $20 a hour and the average Joe will be able to help carry the tax burden the poor rich are complaining about now.
There would be no need as that would shutdown the majority of American jobs. You'd see massive amount of small business' disappear.

If the ratio were equal 12.5% of the tax burden would fall on the lower 50%.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:34 PM

So if the minimum wage remains at let's say $8 what is the percentage of taxes that needs to be deducted from Joe worker to make Mr Millionaire feel that all is equal?

Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,642,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marita View Post
So if the minimum wage remains at let's say $8 what is the percentage of taxes that needs to be deducted from Joe worker to make Mr Millionaire feel that all is equal?
For me, that seems too personal a phrasing, Marita, though I understand the urge.

There have been a number of flat tax proposals through the years, in which, above a certain minimum income all income would be taxed at the same percentage rate.

That is what many of those who decry progressive taxation would like to see happen, regardless of the rate chosen. (A few flat tax advocates oppose even the exception of a minimum income, and a few believe in having the minimums slightly graduated.)

Last edited by jps-teacher; 09-13-2008 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: clarity and softening

Old 09-13-2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks for explaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates