Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times

Advertisements

I don't seem to recall a day or time when I chose to be attracted to females. Only when I chose to act on that attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I don't seem to recall a day or time when I chose to be attracted to females. Only when I chose to act on that attraction.
My point, exactly!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:37 AM

179 posts, read 706,361 times
Default Imho

Think about this-- we've all seen babies born with too many of this or to few of that. If I'm not mistaken all fetus' are conceived as females. At some point a "SHOT OF JOY JUICE" (my description, not clinical) changes the female to a male. More hair, testes, MIND SET,breast don't develope, etc. What is the shot of juice isn't enough and leaves the person hanging between M/F or gives them a M body, F mind or vice versa? Gays should not bother us but what bothers me is the in your face type. What you do in your home is YOUR business.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
I believe one is born that way, not something someone would chose as a lifestyle. Logic tells me nobody would choose a lifestyle for which one will be discriminated against, made fun of, bullied, and hated, for the rest of one's life. Even gay couples wouldn't want their children to be gay because they know the type of hardship the child will go through in life.

You can't fake your sexuality. You're either attracted to same sex partner, or you're not. If homosexuality can be taught, then I don't understand how every single gay person is born and brought up in a strictly straight environment? Logically, since they're born from straight couple, are taught to be straight, and brought up in straight environment, they should be straight too, correct? My sister is a real example of this argument. She's gay, and has shown the tendency to be this way since childhood, eventhough our family and culture are extremely traditional and conservative.

If you do a some reading, you'll find that homosexuality is happening in the animal kingdom too. The most famous ones are probably gay penguin couple in NY's Central Park zoo. In 2007, Norway had its first-ever museum display at the University of Oslo's Natural History Museum that presented 51 species of animals exhibiting homosexuality.

I suspect homosexuality is caused by somekind of genetic mutation, same mutation that caused unexplainable deseases and behaviour in people. My doctor explains genetic mutation is like shuffling cards. Everytime the cards (genes) get shuffled, something gets lost in the shuffle and results in a set of slightly different cards (genes). Perhaps one day science will have a solid answer to this theory.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM

789 posts, read 1,334,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
I personally think is is a chosen lifestyle and i detest the concept ,so what do you people think? are you born or taught to be like this?
I believe you should ask a gay person. I don't care if they are born or chose to be that way. It's none of my business and it's none of yours either. It would be great if you would butt out of other peoples' lives when it has no effect on yours.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
I don't think it really matters whether it is genetic or not. We've always had gay members in our society for as long as there's been civilization. No harm in it.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,103 times
I don't think people choose to become gay. However I don't think people are born that way. I believe in a persons path from infancy to adulthood, many factors contribute to a person becoming homosexual. I don't think there is any specific incident which would make a person cross genderlines...just a collective response to a persons normal development.

I don't believe in gay marriage. I do believe that individuals have the right to extend their benefits to their spouses whether they be married or not.

I do have a question though.....what is being gay? Is it simply just about sex? Is it wanting to be the opposite sex? Can't a man be feminine without being gay?

Old 09-23-2008, 11:06 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
I don't think people choose to become gay. However I don't think people are born that way. I believe in a persons path from infancy to adulthood, many factors contribute to a person becoming homosexual. I don't think there is any specific incident which would make a person cross genderlines...just a collective response to a persons normal development.

I don't believe in gay marriage. I do believe that individuals have the right to extend their benefits to their spouses whether they be married or not.

I do have a question though.....what is being gay? Is it simply just about sex? Is it wanting to be the opposite sex? Can't a man be feminine without being gay?

To answer your last question.. yes, a man can be feminine or exhibit traits assigned to a homesexual (like being completely vain for one.. with primping etc) and still be straight. They are called metrosexual.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
And, on the flip side, a man can also be gay and very masculine. I hate when people assume that all gay men are feminine. That's just a stereotype.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
I have at least 3 gay friends who have similar stories. They were all being molested by older babysitters, trusted friends or relatives of the same sex. They admitted they realized they were gay when the molester told them they were. I think I remember someone from NAMBLA saying if they could "get" a boy by the time he was ten, they would have him forever.

Last edited by laysayfair; 09-23-2008 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates