Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:17 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmountaineer View Post
Proof is look at the young people who are exsperimenting with it now. Why do movie stars change their preference on a whim? Don't tell me its because they are Bi.
Sorry, but I am going to tell you that, because in most cases it's true... people are just more freely expressing these desires now, since it's no longer that taboo. I guarantee we had just as many gay/bi people in the 19th century, but they had no choice but to repress their feelings. C'mon people - like I said above, could YOU change your sexual preferences and behavior on a whim, or just because it was trendy? I live in San Francisco, heart of the gay community, and have never been tempted to switch sides. Why? Because I'm not attracted to other women!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
I believe you should ask a gay person. I don't care if they are born or chose to be that way. It's none of my business and it's none of yours either. It would be great if you would butt out of other peoples' lives when it has no effect on yours.
Amen.

Btw, has anyone read Kinsey's study of sexuality? I find it fascinating, and the most logical explanation to date (in my opinion)... my 9th grade Biology teacher covered his theories, and even at that age I thought "Yeah, that makes sense!!" And no he wasn't gay, nor did his mention of this study turn anyone else gay.
Check it out: The Kinsey Institute - Kinsey Sexuality Rating Scale [Related Resources]

Old 09-23-2008, 05:22 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmountaineer View Post
Proof is look at the young people who are exsperimenting with it now. Why do movie stars change their preference on a whim? Don't tell me its because they are Bi. It's all about what sex is available and convenient at the moment. It's a choice and thinking honest people know it. Now can I sell you on global warning?

Missing Mountainman
Do you really think that teenage and young adult exploration of sexuality is a new thing.. because it's been around for quite some time. The only reason you think that it is more prevalent is that with todays technology and media it is more readily visible. And because we have become a more accepting society, people no longer hide it like they used to.

And particularly hollywood.. it has always been a place where people crossed the gay/lesbian or bi line.. again the difference is that as a society we have become more accepting and therefore sexuality doesn't need to be hidden for fear of a damaged or destoryed career.

I can no more learn how to suddenly like woman sexually (I'm a straight woman) than you could learn to like a man sexually (assuming you are a straight man) no matter how many times I see, hear or know about it..

Old 09-23-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
I do have a question though.....what is being gay? Is it simply just about sex? Is it wanting to be the opposite sex? Can't a man be feminine without being gay?
1. As others pointed out, not all gay men are feminine, and not all gay women are butch... and on the flip-side, not all straight men are macho, nor are all straight women feminine. Right?

2. Being gay is just like being straight... meaning that it has many aspects, including but not limited to sex. The definition is of course being attracted to the same sex, but it's also about love & companionship. Then you have bisexuality, transgender, transsexual (both pre & post-op), gender dysmorphic, crossdressers (who can actually be straight), and so on and so forth. People are not just "black and white," there are many gray areas in-between. Wouldn't life be boring if we WERE so easily defined and categorized??

3. I suggest two things for you, if you want to become more informed and open-minded. First, read some books/articles on the topic, but only from unbiased and/or academic sources... meaning nothing with opinions, simply the facts and definitions. You probably don't know the difference between TS TG CD etc., which you could easily learn with a little reading. Second, befriend the next gay person you encounter (if possible in your area) - once you get to know them on a human level, you will stop pigeonholing them and thinking so black & white.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
homosexuality i think is something present since inception. many many people have said they feel this way since a very young age.

the only choice in this is whether or not to accept the homosexuality or reject it.

the choice would be to say yes i am, or no i am not.

what is chosen or learned is gay mannerisms.
a specific picture of gay exists in society, so a lot of budding homosexuals see that as the way to be. some dont. if anything is learned it is what it means to be gay in this society. luckily people dont feel a need to typecast themselves and you have all types of gays.

late in life gays
gay cops
adolescent gays
political gays
gay athletes
closet gays

lots of different types of gays.

none of these choose to be homosexual. they just are. we dont choose to be heterosexual, we just are. the choice comes when you decide to act on this hetero/homo sexuality. are you honest enough to accept the cards you have been dealt? thats the choice made.

homosexuality is not new. its been around since recorded time. both in the animal kingdom and in the domestic sphere.
attitudes towards homosexuality have changed over time. society has seen acceptance, reverance, rejection and punishment of homosexuality.

at this point its a bit of all of that.

i do wonder tho, if a gay gene did exist and it could be coded during pregnancy would people choose to abort based on this? would people not want a gay child?
how would conservative anti abortion, anti gay people feel about this?

i know that takes the convo in a different direction but something to think about.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:28 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,838 times
Though i disagree with the concept of animals being homosexual i am getting a lot of good feedback i was worried this would get ugly.But as much as i disike the idea of it, what are you gonna do? I think from what i gathered here is this, it's 1.....2 adults in the privacy of their own home so really not my buisness .2.... I have the freedom to do as i want sleep with who i want and i don't want to be told any diffrent so do you folks... and not once have any of you tried to influence my opinions just gave honest answers and i thank you for that..

Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Though i disagree with the concept of animals being homosexual
I appreciate this post, but the first line confuses m.

When you say you "disagree with the concept," what do you mean?

We have the animals on video tape - and have observations of it going back many years.

Are you denying that it happens?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
The fact that you detest the concept runs the risk of your having a difficult time with some of the reasoning surrounding it.
In what way?

I detest theft and murder and can provide sound reasoning for doing so.

Quote:
However, let's explore this a bit.

There are animals that engage in homosexual behavior.
There are animals that eat their young. Shall we dine at 6:00?

There are also animals that abandon their young. Shall we follow suit?

There are animals that urinate or defecate on trees and other objects to mark their territory. Do you want to engage in that practice?

Quote:
If your stance is correct, then presumably the animals, too, have that as their chosen livestyle. If that is the case, then there is a degree of consciousness that we do not normally accord to animals.
The original premise is faulty, making your argument baseless and without merit.

You claimed that "animals engage in homosexual behavior" but there is no evidence to support that.

Where such isolated incidences occur, it is misconstrued. For example, "mounting" is a sign of dominance, not a homosexual act. A young male hippo will challenge an older male for his territory by fighting. The weaker of the two will eventually yield and assume a position of submissiveness, at which point the victor will "mount" the loser momentarily as a sign of dominance to all other hippos. There is no arousal and no penetration. Many other animals, especially territorial animals like dogs, bulls, etc use "mounting" as a sign of authority or dominance.

You might want to read the works of Dr. Simon LeVay, an admitted homosexual who now admits that animals are not oriented toward homosexual behavior, rather there are isolated occasional incidents that stem from confused instincts and stimuli.

There is no evidence that animals engage in homosexual behavior for the course of their life-time.

Quote:
I believe that the vast majority of gay, lesbian, and bi people were born the way that way. My best friend growing up was gay and certainly hoped I was - but I wasn't.
Beliefs are irrelevant, but by your own admission is it a life-style choice for many.

The terminology you use is nonsensical. They are homosexuals, so what purpose is served classifying them as gay and lesbian?

Quote:
It was not "learned" by any means. Nor was there anybody in our circle from whom my friend could or would have learned it.
You don't know that and can't draw any conclusions with any reasonable certainty. I hope you aren't going to suggest that you grew up in the households of those in your "circle"

You couldn't possibly understand the dynamics of dysfunctional families, especially those were the father is absent and the mother is domineering, weak or physically or psychologically abusive. Psychologists don't even understand it completely, so there's no way you possibly could.

The number of homosexuals who come from such backgrounds demands additional study. However, it is not politically correct to study whether it is a life-style choice, a learned behavior, a psychological defect, or a biological defect. No reputable university or clinical psychology, behavioral laboratory or medical institute will fund it any studies, because of the extortive tactics used by homosexual groups.

Last edited by Mircea; 09-23-2008 at 09:33 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 PM

789 posts, read 1,334,168 times
You're comparing being gay with murder. I'd call that a very unfair analogy.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It what way?

I detest theft and murder and can provide sound reasoning for doing so.

There are animals that eat their young. Shall we dine at 6:00?

There are also animals that abandon their young. Shall we follow suit?

There are animals that urinate or defecate on trees and other objects to mark their territory. Do you want to engage in that practice?

The original premise is faulty, making your argument baseless and without merit.

You claimed that "animals engage in homosexual behavior" but there is no evidence to support that.

Where such isolated incidences occur, it is misconstrued. For example, "mounting" is a sign of dominance, not a homosexual act. A young male hippo will challenge an older male for his territory by fighting. The weaker of the two will eventually yield and assume a position of submissiveness, at which point the victor will "mount" the loser momentarily as a sign of dominance to all other hippos. There is no arousal and no penetration. Many other animals, especially territorial animals like dogs, bulls, etc use "mounting" as a sign of authority or dominance.

You might want to read the works of Dr. Simon LeVay, an admitted homosexual who now admits that animals are not oriented toward homosexual behavior, rather there are isolated occasional incidents that stem from confused instincts and stimuli.

There is no evidence that animals engage in homosexual behavior for the course of their life-time.

Beliefs are irrelevant, but by your own admission is it a life-style choice for many.

The terminology you use is nonsensical. They are homosexuals, so what purpose is served classifying them as gay and lesbian?

You don't know that and can't draw any conclusions with any reasonable certainty. I hope you aren't going to suggest that you grew up in the households of those in your "circle"

You couldn't possibly understand the dynamics of dysfunctional families, especially those were the father is absent and the mother is domineering, weak or physically or psychologically abusive. Psychologists don't even understand it completely, so there's no way you possibly could.

The number of homosexuals who come from such backgrounds demands additional study. However, it is not politically correct to study whether it is a life-style choice, a learned behavior, a psychological defect, or a biological defect. No reputable university or clinical psychology, behavioral laboratory or medical institute will fund it any studies, because of the extortive tactics used by homosexual groups.

Great post. You don't take any prisoners. I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates