Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:06 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Evolution is not about procreation or population growth. Evolution is how a species grows, changes over millions of years..like Darwins theory of how the species EVOLVED from ape like to what we are today..

has nothing to do with sexuality or reproduction.

And considering how the world is so populated these days..and how modern technology has evolved that god, in his infinate genouis, created gay people that could love and have companionship just like those that are "straight" and not ad to to the population by pro-creating. (although homosexuality is nothing new, mind you.. but you get my point).. now there's a thought

ok, here is the deal.....somone asked what is normal. And I replied that being straight would be normal whether one used the Bible as a guideline or Darwin's theory of evolution (which is simply that a species evolves in order to survive) Now correct me if I am wrong but evolution does not occur to a being at a specific point in time. Its not like a bird would transform into a fish while flying. It takes millenia of "evolutionary" cycles. Now what are evolutionary cycles? My guess would be from years and years of breeding into a stronger species. So in theory, if there were a species of homosexual beings, they would die off because they would be unable to procreate. Not normal according to evolution because abnormal beings who cannot survive die off.

that is all I am saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:08 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Its true that to continue to evolve as a species we must first continue to procreate. But I don't believe the conclusion can then be drawn that Natural Selection precludes the existence of gays or implies that gays must die off in order for the species to continue on (if that's what you are in fact getting at.) The species evolves and continues to do so despite a percentage of men and women alike either being sterile or having other reproductive issues.

just trying to say that we would assume that being normal means to be straight.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,863 times
Our bodies react instinctively to what we find attractive in another person regardless of their gender. In that sense, I don't think we choose who we are attracted to but choose how to act on those attractions.

Just as I find certain members of the opposite gender attractive, I have friends who find certain members of the same gender attractive. Its not a lifestyle choice and I agree with someone else who said that was offensive to suggest so.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:27 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
just trying to say that we would assume that being normal means to be straight.
So the standard for normal is based on how two people have sex in order to reproduce?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:53 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
The OP's question is an interesting idea.

Was your heterosexuality learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that you selected from among many options?

Was your male or female body a learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that you selected from among many options?

Was your height a learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that you selected from among many options?

Was your inability to see red and/or green, or your ability to see all colors, a learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that you selected from among many options?

Is your left-handedness or right-handedness a learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that you selected from among many options?

Is the size of your feet a learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that you selected from among many options?

Is your eye color a learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that you selected from among many options?

Is your fingerprint a learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that you selected from among many options?

Is your ability or inability to carry a tune a learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that you selected from among many options?

Is your ease or lack of ease with math a learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that you selected from among many options?

Is your lifelong tendency to be gregarious or quiet a learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that you selected from among many options?

Is one's homosexuality a learned behavior, and a choice of a way to live that one selects from among many options?

It's all natural, all real, and all part of the total picture of humanness.

"Detesting" something, of course, is a choice, just like loving, fearing, distrusting, enjoying, cherishing, believing, valuing, not valuing...

Last edited by allforcats; 09-23-2008 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 02:17 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Going on my own experience, I have not chosen to be gay. In fact, until recently, I tried very hard to not be gay, going so far as to nearly getting married. I've always known that I like men, and no, it wasn't learned, as my family is very conservative. In fact b/c of them and the church that we went to, and all their preaching about how it was sinful (coming from a book written eons ago, and voted on by the Council of Nicea to determine what books were to be included in it), I was scared to death to come out and tell the truth. So, I lived a lie for at least a decade, and was never truly happy. It would seem to be much easier if I was straight, but that's not who I am. It's ashame though, that we can't have the same rights as straight people, and truly sad that so many people are so ignorant towards us. I hope in the near future, most people will look at us as average Americans, that happen to love someone of the same sex.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Evolution is not about procreation or population growth. Evolution is how a species grows, changes over millions of years..like Darwins theory of how the species EVOLVED from ape like to what we are today..

has nothing to do with sexuality or reproduction.

And considering how the world is so populated these days..and how modern technology has evolved that god, in his infinate genouis, created gay people that could love and have companionship just like those that are "straight" and not ad to to the population by pro-creating. (although homosexuality is nothing new, mind you.. but you get my point).. now there's a thought
I think maybe you should dust off your bible god is pretty much against the idea.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:39 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
I think maybe you should dust off your bible god is pretty much against the idea.

Well you can still believe in god and not believe every word in the bible.. I kind of have trouble taking literally everything the bible says..considering that man wrote it and man translated it .. I don't know.. like 1000 times from it's original language into different languages..

But that's for another debate!

and I wasn't neccesarily saying that I agree wih Darwins theory either...

Old 09-23-2008, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,153 times
Default Of course it's a learned behavior

Proof is look at the young people who are exsperimenting with it now. Why do movie stars change their preference on a whim? Don't tell me its because they are Bi. It's all about what sex is available and convenient at the moment. It's a choice and thinking honest people know it. Now can I sell you on global warning?

Missing Mountainman

Old 09-23-2008, 05:14 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
I personally think is is a chosen lifestyle and i detest the concept ,so what do you people think? are you born or taught to be like this?
Could you choose to be gay, if say the government suddenly mandated that ALL citizens must be homosexual or face punishment? If your answer is no, than you cannot say that gays choose their preferences... to me that is an absurd idea, and something that I could debate against for hours. I have many gay friends, some of whom I've known since childhood - trust me, they were made that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates