Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:08 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times

Advertisements

There will always be racism, not only in America, but in every other nation on this planet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
I'm not even sure how to answer that question. Could you please reword it using proper grammar?
I agree - the question lacks sufficient specificity to be answered directly.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:13 AM

66 posts, read 194,677 times
Race is a means to identify yourself and distinguish yourself from everyone else. It's not always necessarily a racism or stereotype issue. I think it's a basic human need to want to belong to something, to be with people who are like you in some way. Identifying ourselves all as "people" just doesn't work, because we're all too different. Race is no fallacy. It's a reality. It's as much a reality as the way we classify ourselves in other ways, whether it is according to religion, musical tastes, sex, age, hair color, clothing styles, jobs, careers, etc. Maybe it's stupid to hate someone because of their race, but you have to at least acknowledge that we need race to differentiate ourselves, to make us feel special, and to make us feel like part of a larger group.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:23 AM

877 posts, read 2,076,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
don't even tell me caucasions don't bear a lot of responsibility for a lot of the worlds ills and hatreds.
Caucasians don't bear a lot of responsibility for a lot of the worlds ills and hatreds.

Much like Africans do not have any responsibility for the persecution of the Jewish people.

Much like East Asians have no responsibility for the use of gunpowder-based weapons to settle disputes.

Blaming one race for problems is racist. There is no sugar coating it.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:11 PM

58 posts, read 193,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
How about I begin ignoring race after there aren't a billion affirmative action groups and special programs that only "people of color" can benefit from, whilst being White I'm a fourth class citizen in the country my very own ancestors built.
You mean the very same ancestors that built on the backs of the slaves? Oh, I see what you're saying. The 'white race' is superior and we deserve respect for that.

The poor, picked on white man is feeling bruised because there is affirmative action. I think everything should be based on merit, but crying about it isn't goint to help one bit.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:19 PM

58 posts, read 193,137 times
I'l like to know where 'African American' came from. That is the most ignorant term I've heard. At least 'black' is more definitive. Not all black people came from Africa, and it's impossible to distinguish between a true African American, and a black person visiting from Europe or someplace else, or a black person whose ancestry is from South America, Europe or anywhere else.

Only black Americans who actually CAME FROM AFRICA can be considered African American. NOT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE AFRICAN AMERICAN.

If the term African American is used to describe black people, then it would have to apply to ALL black people, and it doesn't.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
Originally Posted by zman0
Quote:
Blaming one race for problems is racist.
Not if that race actually is guilty; the Caucasians are the root of almost all the global problems simply because they were blindly motivated by profit in combination with religious zeal.
There is no sugar coating it.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Not if that race actually is guilty; the Caucasians are the root of almost all the global problems simply because they were blindly motivated by profit in combination with riligious zeal.
You can support your supposition I would assume -

Old 10-14-2008, 10:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
You can support your supposition I would assume -
Because the Bible told me so.
Or that is what most Caucasions believed (and still believe).

At 1 time in history a few Brits tried to justify their colonialism with the fact that they treated the 'primitive' natives the same way they (the Brits) wanted to be treated themselves which actually is ludicrous.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:13 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
It seems to me that putting all Caucasians into the same basket is just as ignorant as putting all of any other race (or religion) into one basket. So Caucasians are the root of our current world situation because they were motivated by profit and religious zeal? How about narrowing your rant down to the colonial powers (for the profit part of the proceedings) and the Church (for the religious part)? There were plenty of Caucasians not associated with either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates