Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:02 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,663 times

Advertisements

Had Hitler survived and remained in power in Germany how could that affect the current political climate in the world? Would he be a major world player? Could he get along with the current world superpowers? And finally how would history have changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
He would be 120 years old in April, so odds are he would be dead.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
that is the biggest if statement i have seen in awhile.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that is the biggest if statement i have seen in awhile.
I would have to guess he would be dead or senile...don't you agree?

Old 10-04-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I would have to guess he would be dead or senile...don't you agree?
George Washington was the first president in America but after his death the country moved on.Had Hitler lived he would have had maybe until the late 1960's or 1970's to build his nation and sire an heir.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:14 PM

I know, but you asked how he would get along with the current world powers so I answered he would be 120.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:58 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Had Hitler survived and remained in power in Germany how could that affect the current political climate in the world? Would he be a major world player? Could he get along with the current world superpowers? And finally how would history have changed?
The number of assumptions left unvoiced in your question makes it hard to provide much response beyond that of folks who've commented on his age/death.

If he'd survived and remained in power in Germany, would that mean that the United States had not survived? How about the Soviet Union? Are we also granting that Japan did not lose or that the U.S. had not successfully created the atomic (or nukular (;-)) bombs?

If we had the bomb, would we have used it on Germany first, come August?

In essence, for him to have survived and remained in power would have required him to have won or at least fought to a draw, because if he lived and lost, he would have been tried for war crimes and his resignation from power would have been a minimum requirement, as with what happened in Japan.

So... what are your operating parameters for your proposed scenario, and how did it happen?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
No doubt Hitler and the Christian right in America would get along nicely, especially with the House of Un-American Activities.
I guess Hitler and McCarthy would've been real tight because of their common enemy.
Hitler would also have been a staunch supporter of the KKK so I don't think MLK would have been able to give his I have a dream speech or the million man march (Hitler would have him killed long before MLK could become a real threat).
So I guess America & S. Africa would still be in the claws of apartheid.
Kennedy & America would never have reached the moon, at least not without the help of the Nazi brain thrust.
And I doubt Israel would have been realised if Hitler was still in power in Nazi Germany.
And I guess Hitler would also have been allies with Al Qaeda and other fanatical Muslim terrorist groups since they are all anti-Jew anyway.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:07 AM

Hitler could have easily withdrew to to territories he already controlled.Shored up his fronts and fought to a draw.Then guess what? He is a minor superpower.He marries Eva and has a son. Hitler then goes on to rebuild europe and unites the people in the Nazi cause.He is huge in Euoper the people see him as a savior because the rebuilding goes well and there is now plenty of food for everyone. This is a short scenerio for the folks to chew on basic i know. But it could have happened.. Lots of details left out i am sure. Now Hitler could have easily lived into the 1970's so back to my original question .. and please enough with the age thing think outside the box on this one what do you think?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:58 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Hitler sealed his fate when he approved the murder of millions of jews. In order for him to have survived WW2 would have to have been avoided and no concentration camps built. The alternative would have been for hitler to have allied with the US early and engaged in trade. Eliminate the specific profiteers who caused the depression in Germany and not extend it to an ethnic cleansing. The whole "master race" idea was a failure from the start but breeding more whites (especially blonds) in itself was a very good idea. Mass producing inexpensive cars and building the autobahn were from this interesting yet partially insane man. If the mass-murder could have been avoided I would think that Germany would have been a success and the soviet union would have never come together as a world power. I seriously doubt that Hitler would have supported middle east extremists, and I wonder if he would have actually supported Israel as a place to send the unwanted Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates