Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:31 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl
Quote:
Would you like tarpaper and cardboard, or a wooden form and a shovel for the deluxe adobe version?
Isn't this how the American government has treated the Native Americans (and probably still is) by giving them 'prime real-estateā€™ (read: dirt poor land) which is incapable of feeding them properly?

And how about them ghettos for the coloured poor and the trailer parks for the white poor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 03:50 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
People should have the right to be able to own a home, but there can't be any kind of guarantee. It takes hard work, saving, dedication, and understanding of the responsibilities involved.
I am familiar with private programs that help lower income and special needs families and buyers "earn" homes. These programs are great but they do come with very necessary conditions. New owners are not allowed to rent their homes, they aren't allowed to exceed agreed upon occupancy limits. They also agree to terms and conditions of upkeep, tax payments and private mortgage financing. If they sell, they sell back to the organization that sold them the house. It works great as a threshold program and to turn run down areas of the city around. People take pride in ownership and get big savings in buying homes. But they also are locked in to being in a sort of homeowners association that makes sure nobody abuses the system.
As somebody who got burned on the mortgage meltdown indirectly, I'm debating if bailouts are a good idea. Many people recklessly jumped in on buying property hoping to get rich and many bought homes they had no right being allowed to buy. Real estate has been very much over valued IMO, and needs to be corrected. If home prices come down, people who can legitimately afford to buy will get a break and be able to buy homes at their actual value.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:04 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
It's definitely not a right...and I don't see it as much of a reward either.

I've never been interested in owning my own home.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:19 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by TKramar
Quote:
I've never been interested in owning my own home.
This is easy to say when you actually have your own home.
You will only miss things once you've lost them.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by TKramar This is easy to say when you actually have your own home.
You will only miss things once you've lost them.
I think you actually meant to say, "easy to say when you DON'T actually have your own home"...? Because the poster you responded to, said he has no interest in owning a home.

But anyway: Home ownership has always been important to me. I have only lived in an apartment once, for about six months due to a delay in the availability of the house I was buying, and hated every minute of it. That said... offhand I can think of four people I know, all in their late 50s/early 60s like myself, who by preference (not economic necessity) have never owned a house. They all have said repeatedly that the idea of having to "waste time" on the maintenance of a house and property appalls them. I've also heard them say that they much prefer rental living because they prefer the freedom of being able to relocate if and whenever they choose to do so, without being "tied down" to having to sell a house or turn into a landlord if they keep it.

The desire for home ownership is not a case of "once you have it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it". Ironically, I used to hear the same argument when I was younger and would declare that I didn't ever want children! It's as fallacious a generalization for home ownership as it is for parenthood.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Excellent point.. I think he was more referring to "ownership" as opposed to simply havign a roof over ones head "renting".

I'm now going back to renting and it sucks. I'm renting a beautiful old farmhouse that I fell in love with despite the fact that it is OLD and in need of work, but I hope to someday buy it from the landlord when he's ready to sell. The thing that kills about NOT owning a home, is for me my home is my safe haven and in a rental I just don't feel that way. This is from someone that grew up in my parents home that they owned for over 20 years of my life. It's not the material possession we all strive to have, but it's that sense of "security" that I long for in owning a home. I just feel that if I work hard, I should be able to have that!!
And you will!!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by GreatdayThe fact that your government put neither restriction nor any condition on your salary and bonuses is what has caused the credit crisis.
If the bank presidents had to pay back their bonuses if their banks collapsed they would think twice about buying hedge funds.

Humanity is the only animal species that will consume according to his greed instead of his hunger. Whenever any other animal has physically eaten himself full it will stop eating (and hunting for food), but only a human will ignore the fact that he is satiated and keep on eating and hunting.
If we are unable to overcome this urge we will consume ourselves into extinction (whether we own a house or not).
Just for reading sake we are not the only species to do this. A Weasel will keep on killing long after it is full.

Anyway, you should see the thousands of empty homes here in S Cal recently emptied by people who thought they were entitled to have a house.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 AM

315 posts, read 1,088,167 times
I find we are a spoiled nation. People want something and will buy on credit for instant gratification. This in turn leads many into disaster and sometimes poverty.
I find it even hard to buy Christmas presents for people because everyone has what they really want.
Might just be that after today's election people will have to learn a bit of control if we don't want to lose everything we have now.
Owning a home is reward if you worked your butt off to get the downpayment and if you don't feel you need a mansion like the neighbours. And if you can continue making the mortgage payments, otherwise you face losing everything.
A home isn't about fancy fixures, pools, 2,ooosq.ft of living space, erc. A home is what you and your family make of the best home you feel comfortable buying, it's the family inside the walls that make a home.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
I think you actually meant to say, "easy to say when you DON'T actually have your own home"...? Because the poster you responded to, said he has no interest in owning a home.

But anyway: Home ownership has always been important to me. I have only lived in an apartment once, for about six months due to a delay in the availability of the house I was buying, and hated every minute of it. That said... offhand I can think of four people I know, all in their late 50s/early 60s like myself, who by preference (not economic necessity) have never owned a house. They all have said repeatedly that the idea of having to "waste time" on the maintenance of a house and property appalls them. I've also heard them say that they much prefer rental living because they prefer the freedom of being able to relocate if and whenever they choose to do so, without being "tied down" to having to sell a house or turn into a landlord if they keep it.

The desire for home ownership is not a case of "once you have it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it". Ironically, I used to hear the same argument when I was younger and would declare that I didn't ever want children! It's as fallacious a generalization for home ownership as it is for parenthood.
Exactly, WHO pays the cost of maintenance for a major problem? The OWNER. When I've had cars, it was cheaper to replace them than to repair them.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When I've had cars, it was cheaper to replace them than to repair them.
Wow - I recently had a repair bill of $800.00 to fix my car. But, to replace it would be over $35,000.

I cannot understand your position - could you expound on it please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates