Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 03:06 PM

491 posts, read 749,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I grew up in The Bronx of NYC during the 60's and 70's. This was one of the worst of ghettohoods in the United States back then. Imagine living amongst gangs, thugs, drugs, muggings, shootings, police raids, tear gas, and apartment building fires. Imagine having to round up six friends and a baseball bat just to walk 5 blocks to "Cousin's Records" on Fordham Road to buy one 45 vynyl record. It's cool to talk about growing up in that jungle now. But living thru that made me realize that I did not want to stay in that environment. I remember being a little kid and thinking to myself, "I don't want my kids to grow up in a place like this."

Somehow many of us mustered the gumption to stay out of gangs, and to get out of The Bronx as soon as we had the opportunity. Bad as it was, some of us managed to get college educations (i.e., society's Great Equalizer), while others went into the military where we learned vocational trades.

As I grew into adulthood, I made choices which lead me far and away from that environment.

Moral of the story: It's all about the choices we make. None of us has to stay in that environment if we choose not to. Most gangbangers/ghettohooders are there by choice even though there are plenty of opportunities to get out.

I strongly disagree with the entire concept of "giving" people who live in ghettos "things" they have not worked for. If you're getting "things" for free, what incentive do you have to go out, become a productive citizen, in order to acquire "things" on your own? In this country, no one with a brain has an excuse to not become self-sufficient. Sure, the current economy has made things a bit tough but...so what?

Seek and you will find. Knock and and it shall be answered. Just don't ask me to seek and knock for you. You've got to go out and do it yourself!
That would be true that nobody has a reason not to be self sufficient if everyone was paid a salary enough to live on but many don't

Old 05-30-2010, 03:08 PM

491 posts, read 749,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
The ones who never manage to break the cycle of poverty are indeed lazy and or stupid. If 10 or 20 years from now you are still living in the projects, than you have no one else to blame but yourself.

If they have no opportunity to get out then how is it their fault.?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-30-2010 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:48 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
If they have no opportunity to get out then how is it their fault.?
Everyone has the opportunity to get out. If they stay and do nothing with themselves, it is the decision they made for themselves.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:37 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
That would be true that nobody has a reason not to be self sufficient if everyone was paid a salary enough to live on but many don't
If you or anybody wants a descent salary...you have to earn it; you have to go out and get it yourself! My friends did! I did! And so can you!!! And again...we grew up in the Bronx ghettohood in the worst of times!!!

FYI...I'm a man of color and I too had to be TWICE as qualified just to get a fair chance.

Was it difficult? YES!

Was it impossible? Moderator cut: Inappropriate language NO!!!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-31-2010 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 05-31-2010, 12:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
If you or anybody wants a descent salary...you have to earn it; you have to go out and get it yourself! My friends did! I did! And so can you!!! And again...we grew up in the Bronx ghettohood in the worst of times!!!

FYI...I'm a man of color and I too had to be TWICE as qualified just to get a fair chance.

Was it difficult? YES!

Was it impossible? Moderator cut: Inappropriate language NO!!!
This weekend, Roy Halladay pitched a perfect game and Albert Pujols hit three homers in one game. Were those achievements difficult? Yes. Were they impossible? No. That does not give you or anyone else the right to say "anyone can do it", or deny human dignity to those who can't do what you did.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-31-2010 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This weekend, Roy Halladay pitched a perfect game and Albert Pujols hit three homers in one game. Were those achievements difficult? Yes. Were they impossible? No. That does not give you or anyone else the right to say "anyone can do it", or deny human dignity to those who can't do what you did.
And unlike you, I have the right to believe that "most" people have the wherewithall to accomplish what is difficult despite their personal circumstances.

Human dignity? Human dignity is NOT deeming others as incapable because of where they come from or because of the way they look.

Human dignity is encouraging people to aim as high as they possibly can in order to make something of themselves, by themselves!

Human dignity is teaching people how to fish so they can feed themselves for a lifetime, instead of giving them a fish...which only feeds them for one day.

Please....

Last edited by chacho_keva; 05-31-2010 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: "Posturing" is not appropriate for this forum

Old 05-31-2010, 07:59 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
home ownership for the poor. They let the poor make car payments, get credit cards, but they won't sell a house to a poor person. No problem let 'em rent a piece of crap for 30 years. Were I grew up you see people in they crappiest houses taking great care of a piece of crap car. That's the difference owner ship makes. Even in College towns you look at houses and tell which ones are owned and which ones are rentals

Old 05-31-2010, 10:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
[b]And unlike you, I have the right to believe that "most" people have the wherewithall to accomplish what is difficult despite their personal circumstances.

[b]Human dignity? Human dignity is NOT deeming others as incapable because of where they come from or because of the way they look.

[b]Human dignity is encouraging people to aim as high as they possibly can in order to make something of themselves, by themselves!

[b]Human dignity is teaching people how to fish so they can feed themselves for a lifetime, instead of giving them a fish...which only feeds them for one day.

[b]Please....
Human dignity is recognizing that other people do not have exactly the same goals and aspirations as your own, nor the same talents and strengths, and should not be diminished for the difference. Nor punished if they fail.

Human dignity is using the same standard font as everyone else, so as to not give the impression that you think what you have to say is much more important and deserving more attention than what other people have to say.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-31-2010 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 02:21 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
home ownership for the poor. They let the poor make car payments, get credit cards, but they won't sell a house to a poor person. No problem let 'em rent a piece of crap for 30 years. Were I grew up you see people in they crappiest houses taking great care of a piece of crap car. That's the difference owner ship makes. Even in College towns you look at houses and tell which ones are owned and which ones are rentals
The chronically poor in America have zero money management skills. They also have no ability to save towards a goal. They function on needing instant gratification. And that's why the chronically poor have massive high interest rate credit card debt and they buy lottery tickets as their solution to becoming wealthy. Our poor don't have the patience to study at school (free). And we also have an excellent public library system too. Our poor are never emaciated looking, but usually they are obese with obese children. And they all have nice cell phones, tvs, and blingy cars. Our poor also produce the majority of teen pregnancies. Again, needing instant gratification, their teens just can't wait to have sex, and they have sex irresponsibly.

Most immigrants to this country start off with close to nothing, but they are able to be patient and work several low paying jobs while their head towards their goal of a better life. Families will live in close quarters and pool their money towards starting a small business or buying real estate. They will also encourage and support their children to do well in school and become successful professionals. But some of that depends on what type of culture they come from.

Anyway, I don't feel sorry for anyone living in the ghettos. They do have plenty of opportunities to leave if the WANT to. But most don't since that would require hard work and some personal sacrifices in order to do so.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:02 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The chronically poor in America have zero money management skills. They also have no ability to save towards a goal. They function on needing instant gratification. And that's why the chronically poor have massive high interest rate credit card debt and they buy lottery tickets as their solution to becoming wealthy. Our poor don't have the patience to study at school (free). And we also have an excellent public library system too. Our poor are never emaciated looking, but usually they are obese with obese children. And they all have nice cell phones, tvs, and blingy cars. Our poor also produce the majority of teen pregnancies. Again, needing instant gratification, their teens just can't wait to have sex, and they have sex irresponsibly.

Most immigrants to this country start off with close to nothing, but they are able to be patient and work several low paying jobs while their head towards their goal of a better life. Families will live in close quarters and pool their money towards starting a small business or buying real estate. They will also encourage and support their children to do well in school and become successful professionals. But some of that depends on what type of culture they come from.

Anyway, I don't feel sorry for anyone living in the ghettos. They do have plenty of opportunities to leave if the WANT to. But most don't since that would require hard work and some personal sacrifices in order to do so.
quite a broad brush to paint 38.8 million people with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates