Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:38 AM

765 posts, read 1,910,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
I'm sorry to break the news to you, OP, but you are, indeed, officially old now. Start shopping for your cane, nursing home, and cemetery plot. But, it happens to most of us. However, there is a temporary stop-gap measure you can take. If good music is important to you, then you need to hunt for it. I'm sure there is music out there you'll appreciate. It might not even be in English.
i listen to all types of music but the point everyone keeps missing is can you judge a society by the art being produced? And if so is it dead here and now. Can you predict the fall of a society but the decline of art and music? I have fallen victim to getting drawn off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
i listen to all types of music but the point everyone keeps missing is can you judge a society by the art being produced? And if so is it dead here and now. Can you predict the fall of a society but the decline of art and music? I have fallen victim to getting drawn off topic.
The point that you seem to miss is that there always has been bland, silly, flyweight music--or outright crap.
It doesn't stand the test of time.
Only the good stuff does.
There is plenty of good, current music now in the constantly mutating, thriving indie scene. Podcasts, free music sites, online college music stations, online stations period, Last, Pandora, pretentious review sites such as Pitchfork, Meta-critic, the music research list goes on and on.
BTW
I'm not who thinks that all mainstream music is garbage. It takes talent to create something that has staying power, no matter how well it is marketed.
In short, while it might be possible to judge a society's descent by its deteriorating music, I do not believe today's music is going downhill.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Close your eyes.... Can you see yourself sitting in a chair 40 years from now by the window while Tupac plays gentley in the background.
Yes I can. I still listen to the same 2pac albums I loved 10-12 years ago.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:46 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
look dan. jsut because each rapper has 1 or 2 songs that arent about killing, selling drgus, dropping out, ect. doesnt mean the genre is "good" and certainly means its more tasteless and crapier than rock.

and who was the idiot who said about the mixing music? isnt that what a djs for?? how many rapers actually write thier own music? then play it >?
A lot of them do. They remix songs and create something completely unique out of something old. Look at how Jay-Z has turned a new generation onto the music from the Broadway Musical "Annie".

Just because YOU have a prejudice against a form of music you couldn't possibly understand from your high horse, doesn't mean it has less value than any other genre. A lot of the black community would disagree with what you say, and so will a lot of other people who actually understand urban life. Take the time to listen to a rap album and you'll hear about the pain of living in the projects, the hurt they feel seeing their friends die, the tragedy of the ghetto, their hopes and dreams. Just because the popular stuff (Catch a Fire by Bob Marley and the Wailers was only #171 on the Billboard charts, and it's ranked by Rolling Stone as one of the greatest albums of all time) sucks, doesn't mean it all sucks. After all, George Bush had a 91% approval rating right after 9/11 (because he let his country get attacked, makes sense) and then it has fallen down to the mid-20s. It shows you that what was once popular can be hated down the line. The Macarena was the most popular thing around, now it's a joke. That year, far below the Macarena on the charts were much better songs that have remained relevant and will air on throwback stations. Rap songs like "Gangster's Paradise", "Only You", "No Diggity", "Hey Lover", "Tha Crossroads" and "California Love" all came out that year and are all good songs that are still relevant to this day. Go to a party, play one of those songs and see the reaction. If the people aren't all old, white and stodgy, you'll see that everyone is happy to hear such classics.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:59 AM

331 posts, read 1,384,769 times
it's all a matter of opinion really. I didn't read the entire thread, but yes, i do agree there is a lot of junk out there, but on the same hand, there are still great bands making great music. You cannot really compare say a group from the 50s or 60s with a band of today. Music has evolved and changed so much in that period there is no comparison between them.

I say this as a musician, and as a music lover. I personally do hate the so-called 'talent' of people like Britney, and the clones that came after her.
Also, when people started calling a group with 4 singers a band. A band has people that actually play instruments, as well as sing.

I could make a long post on the whole idea, but i will leave it where i stopped at

Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Default Music as a commodity

My take is that music is a commidity with a limited number of flavors. The reason we all love music from the 1960s is because they were writing the bluebrint on a clean slate. By now it's all been done (anything that will sell anyway). So we have bands slinging the same hash a slightly different way.

I think we overdo the praise for some of the originators, they were mostly at the right place at the right time with the right look. And sometimes the descendants are actually better: give me The Raveonettes (2000s) over the Velvet Underground (1960s) anyday; give me Junior Senior (2000s) over Kraftwerk (70s-80s mostly)... you get the idea.

Even in classical music we mostly just celebrate the early European masters from centuries ago, while 20th century+ composers are mainly just for the hardcore listeners.

Bottom line, music is not that different from making say pies. There's only "X" amount of good kinds, Hendrix made (arguably) the 1st feedback gitar pie, and Kraftwerk made the 1st electro pie. Now some bands just keep selling standard applie pies while others mix blueberry with lemon marangue. Some of it tastes good others don't BUT, most of miss the days when the pies tasted new.

For me the era with the most creativity amid the full bakery.... early 1980's new wave.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
A lot of them do. They remix songs and create something completely unique out of something old. Look at how Jay-Z has turned a new generation onto the music from the Broadway Musical "Annie".

Just because YOU have a prejudice against a form of music you couldn't possibly understand from your high horse, doesn't mean it has less value than any other genre. A lot of the black community would disagree with what you say, and so will a lot of other people who actually understand urban life. Take the time to listen to a rap album and you'll hear about the pain of living in the projects, the hurt they feel seeing their friends die, the tragedy of the ghetto, their hopes and dreams. Just because the popular stuff (Catch a Fire by Bob Marley and the Wailers was only #171 on the Billboard charts, and it's ranked by Rolling Stone as one of the greatest albums of all time) sucks, doesn't mean it all sucks. After all, George Bush had a 91% approval rating right after 9/11 (because he let his country get attacked, makes sense) and then it has fallen down to the mid-20s. It shows you that what was once popular can be hated down the line. The Macarena was the most popular thing around, now it's a joke. That year, far below the Macarena on the charts were much better songs that have remained relevant and will air on throwback stations. Rap songs like "Gangster's Paradise", "Only You", "No Diggity", "Hey Lover", "Tha Crossroads" and "California Love" all came out that year and are all good songs that are still relevant to this day. Go to a party, play one of those songs and see the reaction. If the people aren't all old, white and stodgy, you'll see that everyone is happy to hear such classics.
and i have to disagree with you, because "remixing" (basically IMO stealing) the works of a valid music composer DOES NOT count as music. I have been experimenting with making music from samples, but not out of samples of other musician's recorded works, i use samples i have DLed from loop sites that were created specifically for the purpose of creating music with loops. I can play all the real instruments in the loops i DL (guitar, bass, drums, keyboard) i am just trying to come up with something different.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
My take is that music is a commidity with a limited number of flavors. The reason we all love music from the 1960s is because they were writing the bluebrint on a clean slate. By now it's all been done (anything that will sell anyway). So we have bands slinging the same hash a slightly different way.

I think we overdo the praise for some of the originators, they were mostly at the right place at the right time with the right look. And sometimes the descendants are actually better: give me The Raveonettes (2000s) over the Velvet Underground (1960s) anyday; give me Junior Senior (2000s) over Kraftwerk (70s-80s mostly)... you get the idea.

Even in classical music we mostly just celebrate the early European masters from centuries ago, while 20th century+ composers are mainly just for the hardcore listeners.

Bottom line, music is not that different from making say pies. There's only "X" amount of good kinds, Hendrix made (arguably) the 1st feedback gitar pie, and Kraftwerk made the 1st electro pie. Now some bands just keep selling standard applie pies while others mix blueberry with lemon marangue. Some of it tastes good others don't BUT, most of miss the days when the pies tasted new.

For me the era with the most creativity amid the full bakery.... early 1980's new wave.
i can both agree, and disagree. Like i said in my last post, i am trying to come up with something different. While of course i can't do something that is 100% unique that hasn't been done before, it doesn't mean that i can't come up with something original that doesn't sound like it's been done 10 million times already

Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwriter View Post
i can both agree, and disagree. Like i said in my last post, i am trying to come up with something different. While of course i can't do something that is 100% unique that hasn't been done before, it doesn't mean that i can't come up with something original that doesn't sound like it's been done 10 million times already
Good luck man! My feeling is that if you can come up with something original, you'll have done it in your head, I don't think writing on instruments (especially guitar) will result in something new.

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-12-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Good luck man! My feeling is that if you can come up with something original, you'll have done it in your head, I don't think writing on instruments (especially guitar) will result in something new.

Just my 2 cents
i know, it is really hard to do, all my real concern is; i want to create something that doesn't sound like everyone else. I have so many different influences i think it is possible. Like you said in your first post though, there will never be another Hendrix moment, or Beatle moment, etc.
When i mentioned the sample stuff, i Dled some unorthodox sound effects i want to incorporate in to create something different. I am also looking at creating some songs with a mix of my playing my own instruments, and the DLed samples too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates