Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 11:03 PM

1,009 posts, read 876,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
If you guys ever notice that there are still some of form of racism in Hollywood movies and in other forms of media.

So,the white people can criticize other culture(s) in the workplace if it is subtle and/or people that are selling out their race just to be in movie(s) and other forms of media.

Not to mention,it doesn't matter if a white person did anything bag such as a shootout since it is generic,but if someone that is a minority that did something bad. There will be some racism towards that minority group just because someone from their ethnicity did something bad.

Racism will never go away and if you aren't racist,then you could be racially insensitive such as when you ask an asian person,'Where are they from?"

I mean some people that I think aren't racist,but when they ask me the question,"Where are you from?" I can't help it,but to feel disappointed in the humanity.

Not to offend you, but if you speak English as poorly as you write/type, expect people to ask you where you're from.

You said that people will ask an Asian person, "where are they from" nobody who speaks properly would use the word "they" when directing a question at a single person, the word would be "you" as in "where are you from."

Just from reading your post I would tend to believe that English is not your first language.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:49 AM

432 posts, read 1,660,466 times
Well,I was born in the States,but my parents spoke a different language at home. In addition,I am the only child,so I didn't have a sibling in which that I could speak English to,regularly.

I agree with you that the "they" part isn't correct,since it doesn't make sense. I don't know why I didn't catch that when I was typing. In addition,my grammar isn't at a point at which that I can be a proud of. Note that when I type,I don't really focus on grammar as much when you compare it to editing a roughdraft for an English paper.

I will always try to improve,since I know English is always evolving. So,I have to go catch up. If I have to say,it is rare when someone tell me about my grammar usage,so I think that I am doing fine.

I just don't like the fact that people still say,"I'm doing good!" when they should say,"I'm doing well!" I don't know why writer(s) of any T.V. show would allow that,but they do...

Sadly,racism still exist in Hollywood. I bet you notice that some sterotypes still exist in the U.S. media.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:34 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,771,599 times
Ohio - I think you are very rude - "not to offend..." then you directly go into offending. This forum is not much more than a chat room. We all think faster than we write. Why so critical? I would love to live in your perfect world where everyone is perfect, not to mention 100% white, black or mongrelized as you call it.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:37 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,771,599 times
You shouldn't deem it necessary to make any excuses about your mistakes for him. I hope that he has been so careful in his writing that he has never misspelled a word or God forbid, put a comma inthe wrong place.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:03 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
I'm not sure if the definition of reverse racism is clear. obviously if something negative as racism is moving in reverse, would it not be moving in a positve direction? but so much for symantics, I think white people are getting tired of hearing black issues all the time, and would like "African Americans to start helping them selves instead of complaining". It's funny how that statement has been said by whites for over 100 years. Whites feel like the guy behind the counter at the 7-11 when people complain to him about the cost of gas, like he is getting a discount. It's easier to blame a People than a system. When I was traveling on an Indian reservation and got Pan handled by a couple of homeless alcholic Native Americans, I emptied my pockets and my cooler and gave 'em what ever I could spare. I realized while driving through all that Natural beauty some thing is amiss. The same when I go to Detroit or Harlem, Chicago, and LA and see all this opportunity and wonder why these places are home to wide spread unemployment

Last edited by thriftylefty; 03-07-2009 at 08:08 AM..

Old 03-07-2009, 07:27 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
They cite statistics, reference them, and show graphs published by the FBI and DOJ.

They also discuss arrest rates, conviction rates, sentencing, etc.

It's rather easy to dismiss the entire study and all the data they compile and cite, by calling it "racist" and thus avoiding having to deal with any of the issues they raise, isn't it?
You get all your bias information from racist websites. How is anybody supposed to even give your posts any merit at all. They are nothing but crap.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:30 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
I haven't read through this whole thread or really any of it. But let me venture a wild guess and say that this is at least partially about affirmative action or that it has at least been mentioned....affirmative action needs to go. It is racist....reverse racism is no better than racism. I don't know why we would even call it anything but just "racism."

OhioUberAlles, my thought is that crime is more closely linked to poverty and lower education levels than race. Unfortunately, poverty and lower education levels correlate to race. But, I think you'd find a white person who lives in poverty and who is a HS dropout to be more likely to be a criminal than a black person or Hispanic person who has a college education and is middle or upper class.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-07-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-07-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
You get all your bias information from racist websites. How is anybody supposed to even give your posts any merit at all. They are nothing but crap.

It's rather easy to label an entire site "racist" and thus discount every issued raised by that site, not having to deal with it. Isn't it?

That way you don't have to counter what they say, because what they say is correct.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I haven't read through this whole thread or really any of it. But let me venture a wild guess and say that this is at least partially about affirmative action or that it has at least been mentioned....affirmative action needs to go. It is racist.

OhioUberAlles, my thought is that crime is more closely linked to poverty and lower education levels than race. Unfortunately, poverty and lower education levels correlate to race. But, I think you'd find a white person who lives in poverty and who is a HS dropout to be more likely to be a criminal than a black person or Hispanic person who has a college education and is middle or upper class.

Actually this study factors such things in-

http://www.colorofcrime.com/colorofcrime2005.html

Using the National Crime Victimization Survey and the Uniform Crime Report, along with data about the conviction rates, arrest rates, sentencing, etc, they paint a rather interesting picture about crime. One of the things they found was that officers are less likely to arrest somebody of a different race when it is a discretionary matter (public intoxication, speeding, hitchhiking, etc) due to sensitivity about racial/political correctness issues.

They also found that poverty is not an adequate explanation for crime as the black crime rate remains roughly the same across class lines.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:19 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
It's rather easy to label an entire site "racist" and thus discount every issued raised by that site, not having to deal with it. Isn't it?

That way you don't have to counter what they say, because what they say is correct.

Yes, your point exactly. It's the race card thingy. People are afraid because the people in power will destroy them for it. Just like everything else. It is about power. If the people in power can get America to be divisive, to lose any form of heritage, to be "lower masses", they can control us even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates