Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,001 times

Advertisements

i did not want to make my previous post unreadable by being too long, so here i would like to throw in my two cents on white privelege and white guilt before i address BET and UNCF portions of HillScoggin's post.

White Privelege: my mother is white. my father is black. my wife is mexican. my kids are beautiful. physically, at a glance, i can be described as a black man. yes, the sight of me is more likely to cause a 70-year old white lady to clinch her purse or lock her car door. yes, i am seen as more threatening when i make a customer service complaint or something. but the ultimate in white privelege is this: how i, as a black man, get along in this country is and always has been entirely dependent on how [white] society as a whole feels about people that look like me. and i, and most black people do alright in this country because, as a whole, at this point in our history [white] society sees people that look like me as equal, no more or less human than anyone else. if tomorrow, white society, again, decides that black people should not be treated as equals, then me, and anyone who looks like me, are not going to get along well in this country. conversly, if blacks, on the whole, decided that decided that whites should not be treated fairly, it generally does not and has never had any affect on a white persons ability to prosper.

White Guilt: when some TV or news personality says or does something that can be somehow seen as racially insensitive, and they go on the inevitable Apology Tour in a futile attempt to save their job...they are not appologizing to blacks, they're appologizing to other whites. it isnt black people calling for them to be fired, its other white peope pointing their finger, "that's the racist right there, i dont have a racist bone in my body." and its not a black person who will inevitably fire them, its a white person "we [i] dont tolerate racism at Newscorp." for black people, on the whole, Al Sharpton has been on the pay no mind list since ALWAYS. black people are not buying what Al Sharpton is selling. the media realizes that there is a great hunger among many, many white people, to exercise the guilt over the sins of the past and Al Sharpton plays the role of a FOOL who makes it easy to dismiss any and all grievances as meritless. that is why Al Sharpton is marketable. white people, please scratch that man off your list of Leaders of the Black Community.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,001 times
Originally Posted by HillScoggin

Quote:
Reverse discrimination is not only condoned but pushed in our society.

Its the same thing in all society. Can you imagine the furor over WET instead of BET? United Caucasian College Fund and United Negro College Fund,the many all Black colleges and trying to have even a private all White college?

These type issues has done more to propagate racism than anything else.
UNCF and all Black colleges predate affirmative action. see my post on Affirmative Action.

As for BET, its actually a poor choice for the name of a television network. does it even exist anymore? or did they change it to the CW or the WB? but either way, the arguement you make is a non-starter. why? because if you want to see White Entertainment Television, you need only change the channel to practically EVERY OTHER STATION. i'm black and i never even watched BET when it was around - didn't care for any of the shows. just like most white people dont watch CMT (Country Music Television.) but i get it, one sounds exclusionary...sort of. why is it okay for other races to be "card carrying members" of that race, but its not okay for whites. why is it okay for a Mexican to get Brown Pride tatooed across their chest, but its not okay for a white guy to get a White Pride tatoo? this is your argument. i have a saying: "Just tell me what it is you want me to pretend not to know." and making such an argument is predicated upon yourself and anyone who listens to you pretending to not know that there is a completely different connotation to White Pride vs. Brown Pride, or BET vs. WET. you dont seriously not see that, right?
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates