Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 PM

211 posts, read 402,442 times

Advertisements

My sis inlaw is 5" 5", weighs in around 180, is diabetic...still eats junk, fast food, cooks for my brother who is not heavy..yet won't cook for herself, gets NO exercise, takes diet pills and can't figure out why she can't loose weight. One doctor suggested she get another physician because she would not do any of the things he suggested for her condition.
She used to be the same size as me...5" 4"...108#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,479 times
Food is an addiction just like drugs or alcohol. It even kills more people.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:28 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I think people have to be held responsible but I do wish things like high fructose corn syrup were outlawed because I think it has been proven to be a large contributor to obesity and diabetes or if not proven yet there is much evidence pointing toward that.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:30 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfan View Post
My sis inlaw is 5" 5", weighs in around 180, is diabetic...still eats junk, fast food, cooks for my brother who is not heavy..yet won't cook for herself, gets NO exercise, takes diet pills and can't figure out why she can't loose weight. One doctor suggested she get another physician because she would not do any of the things he suggested for her condition.
She used to be the same size as me...5" 4"...108#
What does she cook for your brother? You mean she cooks a healthy meal for him and then she eats junk? Yep, doctors will eventually "fire" a patient if they are noncompliant with recommendations.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:10 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,383 times
Who's to blame? Folks who eat too much and do not exercise enough.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
How can blame for being fat be placed on anyones head except the guy that keeps shoveling the food in?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 AM

659 posts, read 1,084,751 times
A lot of what I've read on this board faults our obesity on parents, the individual, society as a whole, schools, and from a lack of education - don't get me wrong, all those things are true - but, what most fail to realize is that one of our largest and most corrupt administrations that contribute heavily to heart failure, congenitive heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and other syndromes, diseases, conditions, and the like are the fault of the FDA.

They are the ones that mandate what should and should not be put into our food, what should be taken out of our food, and how much preservatives and the like should be placed in our food. It's really moronic and ironic that we take out the good things in our food and replace them with substances that are body can never handle. You know what happens to high fructose corn syrup when our body tries to metabolize it? Nothing, the body can't metabolize that mess and it immediately turns into fat. What about anything that's partially or fully hydrogenated? Our body cannot digest that either and it causes the lining of our intestines to harden which in turn makes it harder for our body to absorb nutrients from food. Know what that's called? A deficiency. And all these wonderful additives are mandated to be in our food by the of so generous FDA. It doesn't help that our products are injected with growth hormones (live stock), sprayed by poisonous pesticides (crops) and have so many preservatives packed into them that it's almost like eating or drinking diabetes.

A few years ago, a man came out against the FDA, calling them on all their BS and offered healthy alternatives for medicinal purposes. You know what the FDA tried to do? Get this, they tried to have him jailed. Aint that ashame?

Did you know that something as simple as heartburn can be cured by just drinking vinegar? Did you know that all diabetes (type two) is, is your body not being able to recognize sugar molecules and a very simple way to solve that is to stop eating foods high in sugar and to exercise? Did you know that in China, Japan, and other parts of the world that they don't even have a word for menopause because it doesn't exist? But, most Americans don't know any of these facts, so they spend thousands of dollars on a prescription that gives them more problems than it cures, thousands on insulin that was not made to ever be put into a human body (we use cow insulin for diabetics because they can't make human insulin), and thousands on medications that "combat" menopause when all these prescriptions really do is cause a dependance and a lack of knowledge and wait for it, money.

Haven't you noticed that the side affects of prescriptions are worse than the actual affliction? That's because it was NEVER MEANT TO BE INSIDE OF THE HUMAN BODY. Our bodies are like minature chemistry sets and when you add an unidentified chemical to this balanced chemistry set, it sets off the balance and can cause adverse affects.

It's the same with obesity, you add preservatives, additives, pesticides and what do you get. People with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, which are all completely preventable but still kill more than drunk drivers and smoking combined.

We need to start at the head and work our way down the body. Because no how matter much you exercise, eat healthly, and watch your calorie count, when the tree itself is bad, it's impossbile for it to bear good fruit.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,384 times
Default Omg thank you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
A lot of what I've read on this board faults our obesity on parents, the individual, society as a whole, schools, and from a lack of education - don't get me wrong, all those things are true - but, what most fail to realize is that one of our largest and most corrupt administrations that contribute heavily to heart failure, congenitive heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and other syndromes, diseases, conditions, and the like are the fault of the FDA.

They are the ones that mandate what should and should not be put into our food, what should be taken out of our food, and how much preservatives and the like should be placed in our food. It's really moronic and ironic that we take out the good things in our food and replace them with substances that are body can never handle. You know what happens to high fructose corn syrup when our body tries to metabolize it? Nothing, the body can't metabolize that mess and it immediately turns into fat. What about anything that's partially or fully hydrogenated? Our body cannot digest that either and it causes the lining of our intestines to harden which in turn makes it harder for our body to absorb nutrients from food. Know what that's called? A deficiency. And all these wonderful additives are mandated to be in our food by the of so generous FDA. It doesn't help that our products are injected with growth hormones (live stock), sprayed by poisonous pesticides (crops) and have so many preservatives packed into them that it's almost like eating or drinking diabetes.

A few years ago, a man came out against the FDA, calling them on all their BS and offered healthy alternatives for medicinal purposes. You know what the FDA tried to do? Get this, they tried to have him jailed. Aint that ashame?

Did you know that something as simple as heartburn can be cured by just drinking vinegar? Did you know that all diabetes (type two) is, is your body not being able to recognize sugar molecules and a very simple way to solve that is to stop eating foods high in sugar and to exercise? Did you know that in China, Japan, and other parts of the world that they don't even have a word for menopause because it doesn't exist? But, most Americans don't know any of these facts, so they spend thousands of dollars on a prescription that gives them more problems than it cures, thousands on insulin that was not made to ever be put into a human body (we use cow insulin for diabetics because they can't make human insulin), and thousands on medications that "combat" menopause when all these prescriptions really do is cause a dependance and a lack of knowledge and wait for it, money.

Haven't you noticed that the side affects of prescriptions are worse than the actual affliction? That's because it was NEVER MEANT TO BE INSIDE OF THE HUMAN BODY. Our bodies are like minature chemistry sets and when you add an unidentified chemical to this balanced chemistry set, it sets off the balance and can cause adverse affects.

It's the same with obesity, you add preservatives, additives, pesticides and what do you get. People with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, which are all completely preventable but still kill more than drunk drivers and smoking combined.

We need to start at the head and work our way down the body. Because no how matter much you exercise, eat healthly, and watch your calorie count, when the tree itself is bad, it's impossbile for it to bear good fruit.
Perfectly said and I could not agree more.

The sad thing is, most people on this thread just want to blame it on the fat people and say it's their fault. I keep saying, all of these things that are related to obesity are happening at a rate that is considered an EPIDEMIC. Why, when millions of people are suffering, do we still want to blame the individual? Again, there is laziness, but for the MAJORITY I point my finger at the FDA. We have such low standards for our food. It's no wonder we STILL allow toxic toys to be imported from China - it's all politics and the consumers are the ones to suffer.

People should be mad about this because our health costs skyrocket because so many people need more drugs, doctors, etc. We should not just write it off as being laziness - I will say it again - to label it all as laziness IS A LAZY ATTITUDE!

We need to get to the root of the problem...and EVERYTHING that is going wrong in this country today is based on money and greed. This includes people suffering with the junk that the FDA allows to be put into our foods because this junk makes food last longer and produces more food at a cost that is less for the producer (not the consumer). Greed has gotten out of control in this country and we are feeling the effects of it everywhere - it's not just our economy, our economy and the rate of obesity are symptoms of a much larger problem - greed.

Last edited by shoes4birds; 11-20-2008 at 12:31 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 02:27 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
kb & shoes are a bit off. It's the farmers fault, they raise too much food so we MUST consume it.

even when I think I've heard it all................ No wonder aliens leave.

I must go puke now.

I'm w/you Tin.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:29 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Oh, so this epidemic of people are all eating healthy and exercising the appropriate amount but are still obese?

No, I don't think so. FDA. Geezus. Everyone's a victim in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates