Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

With the vast majority its just a question of intake verus output of enrgy. The old couch potatoe syndrome. Look at pictures of kids in school in the 50's compared to how.I did just the other day and it was shocking. Watch scene shot on the streets in old news reels and movies;same thing.Its like lookig at live stock compared to wild animals really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 02:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Why does anyone have to be "to blame"? Is it seriously a problem if someone isn't as skinny as me? Heck, I WISH I could gain some more weight.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:52 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
I was looking at a medium sized bag of chips. Nacho cheese stuff. According to the label there were 170 calories per serving. No biggie, right? Then I noticed there were 10 servings in the bag! I could easily gulp down that bag in a minute or two. That's 1700 calories! Apparently a serving is a little less than a small handfull. I was both impressed and frightened at the same time. Who'd have guessed corn chips could pack so much poison?

Old 07-11-2009, 12:01 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I was looking at a medium sized bag of chips. Nacho cheese stuff. According to the label there were 170 calories per serving. No biggie, right? Then I noticed there were 10 servings in the bag! I could easily gulp down that bag in a minute or two. That's 1700 calories! Apparently a serving is a little less than a small handfull. I was both impressed and frightened at the same time. Who'd have guessed corn chips could pack so much poison?
Calories are not poison. Everything you eat (almost) has calories, even those silly little carrot sticks that have no taste.There is no need to demonize food! Just limit your intake. Just don't eat the whole bag and you'll be fine. Besides, it's cheaper, right? That bag of chips will now last you 10 days.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Calories are not poison. Everything you eat (almost) has calories, even those silly little carrot sticks that have no taste.There is no need to demonize food! Just limit your intake. Just don't eat the whole bag and you'll be fine. Besides, it's cheaper, right? That bag of chips will now last you 10 days.

I think you missed my point.

People probably aren't even aware how many calories they are consuming when they start munching on those snacks. They think they are just having a snack but don't realize they are carbo loading and need to do a significant amount of work to burn off those calories.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:18 PM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
I find it hilarious that people who don't have eating issues, think people are fat cause they "just don't understand that if you eat and don't exercise, you get fat." Are you serious? Overweight people know more about nutrition then most people. Speaking from experience, most overweight people have been on more diets, exercise programs, been to more nutritionists, doctors, weight loss programs, and know the calorie count of more foods then most skinny people. Talking from personal struggles, I have had a weight issue my entire life, in both directions. I've been over weight, under weight because of bulimia and anorexia, obese, and now finally I am pretty happy with where I am...healthy. But I will tell you, that the amount of information I know about nutrition could get me an honorary Harvard degree for heaven sakes.

Obesity is not about a person being ignorant that eating chips makes you fat anymore then a drug addiction is about ignorance that drugs can get you high or that alcoholism is just some person not realizing that alcohol causes you to get drunk. For the majority of people who are obese it is about an addiction to food, and just like any addiction, it is not about the food, or the alcohol, or the drug. The difference is that this addiction doesn't kill you right away and it comes with a societal stigma and prejudice that proceeds the health issue. Not to mention that food addiction is almost 100 times worse then other addictions because the free market is really against people getting better. Junk food costs less then healthy food. It is a fact that in poorer areas, you will find more fast food restaurants and convenience store that sell crap and not very many Sprouts and Health food stores and farmers markets and gyms. I grew up in an urban, lower SES area and it's a fact that Orange drink and a box of Mac-n-Cheese costs less then fresh squeezed orange juice and Veggie Stix.

I also want to say that what is so sad to me how a persons weight is usually the only thing that people tend to focus on, which makes most obese people fall into a deep depression which, surprise, makes it worse. When I was overweight, it didn't matter how smart I was (I have a Ph.D. so I am wicked smart), how kind I was, what a good person I was, etc. etc. etc. It was all about weight. So much so I was willing to make myself sick just to be skinny. If you smoke, that's not the main thing people know about you. If you are a shop-aholic, you can hide it. But being obese is an issue that is always present to everyone and though it can be a good motivation to help change, it also makes it harder to be defined as anything else by everyone else, including you.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 07-11-2009, 02:39 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Another victim, please. You want to know why obesity is the first thing people know? Because I can't get around you, or your thigh is oozing onto my leg when you're sitting on the train. Thats why it's the first thing I notice. You could be mother teresa but if you're sweaty and panting next to me while you're eating on the train thats what I notice.

Discipline. Thats it. Thats the answer, period. STOP STUFFING YOUR FACE. It's not a conspiracy to keep you fat. I did it. I found the only person conspiring to keep me fat was me. When I looked at my clothes and the waistline kept getting bigger creeping into the 40's I said hey you're fat a pint of haagen das every night might taste good but I look like like crap. It's just another excuse for people who don't have the self discipline to do what they want and not have to feel bad about it. Hey I'm a glutton but it's ok because I have a disease so everyone feel bad for me. Hey grampa too bad you have a broken hip I just took the last handicapped spot because I can't walk to get my double-pounder with cheese bacon and mayo. Please, this is why this country is going straight down the crapper no personal accountablilty.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Another victim, please. You want to know why obesity is the first thing people know? Because I can't get around you, or your thigh is oozing onto my leg when you're sitting on the train. Thats why it's the first thing I notice. You could be mother teresa but if you're sweaty and panting next to me while you're eating on the train thats what I notice.

Discipline. Thats it. Thats the answer, period. STOP STUFFING YOUR FACE. It's not a conspiracy to keep you fat. I did it. I found the only person conspiring to keep me fat was me. When I looked at my clothes and the waistline kept getting bigger creeping into the 40's I said hey you're fat a pint of haagen das every night might taste good but I look like like crap. It's just another excuse for people who don't have the self discipline to do what they want and not have to feel bad about it. Hey I'm a glutton but it's ok because I have a disease so everyone feel bad for me. Hey grampa too bad you have a broken hip I just took the last handicapped spot because I can't walk to get my double-pounder with cheese bacon and mayo. Please, this is why this country is going straight down the crapper no personal accountablilty.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:16 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post

You have no idea how hard it is to lose weight. People that smoke are addicted and they know how hard it is to stop. Well food addictions are even more difficult to break. You make it sound like it should be easy for everyone to lose weight. Well obviously it's not or else everyone would have already done that.

But you seem to be all about simple answers. How to lose weight? Just lose it. How to quit smoking? Just quit. How to stop global warming? Just stop it.

Easy to say. Hard to implement.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
You have no idea how hard it is to lose weight. People that smoke are addicted and they know how hard it is to stop. Well food addictions are even more difficult to break. You make it sound like it should be easy for everyone to lose weight. Well obviously it's not or else everyone would have already done that.

But you seem to be all about simple answers. How to lose weight? Just lose it. How to quit smoking? Just quit. How to stop global warming? Just stop it.

Easy to say. Hard to implement.
You're only feeding the troll. Don't waste your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates