Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 05:58 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times

Advertisements

Give me a break, obese people eat the wrong things.

Beyond certain pathologies, all it takes is proper diet and exercise.

End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:23 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
I have eaten 'wrong things' my entire life. I love 'wrong things.' I am not overweight. The key is the quantity you eat and exercise. I refuse to live on BS that I do not like--carrot sticks, celery, veggie trays, parsley puffs, bean sprout balls, lawn clippings. Screw that. That crap makes me sick to think about it. If that's what I had to look forward to every day, I'd rather be overweight.

You can eat the things you like (it makes it easier to tolerate the rabbit food you don't like). Just do it in moderation and go out and exercise as close to every day as you can.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post

Beyond certain pathologies, all it takes is proper diet and exercise.

End of story.
The question, long since forgotten, is this: Why do Americans eat wronger things than people in most other countries? Beginning of story.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:58 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
You have no idea how hard it is to lose weight. People that smoke are addicted and they know how hard it is to stop. Well food addictions are even more difficult to break. You make it sound like it should be easy for everyone to lose weight. Well obviously it's not or else everyone would have already done that.

But you seem to be all about simple answers. How to lose weight? Just lose it. How to quit smoking? Just quit. How to stop global warming? Just stop it.

Easy to say. Hard to implement.
Oh boy, how many times do I have to say it? I DO KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO LOSE WEIGHT. I lost almost 60lbs. You know how I did it? I STOPPED STUFFING MY FACE! You know what everybody has an excuse. Why can't you lose weight? Oh I have an addiction/gladular problems/etc. Why didn't you get that job? Oh the boss was racist/biased/agist. Why is your child out of control? Oh it's ADHD/Slow development/oh it's just how they are isn't it cute? Again I'll ask, what happened to personal responsibility? It's always someone/thing elses fault. A phenomenon that only shows how correct i am is the gastric banding craze. Why change my behavior when all I have to do is have a risky surgery? Turns out they are having the wrong surgery, they should be getting their jaws wired shut. Same result, less risk. Thats my point, it's not me it's a disease. Nothing is impossible, your lack of success can most likely be traced directly back to you lack of effort/commitment.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:31 PM

481 posts, read 943,210 times
No one is arguing that to lose weight one eats less and exercise more or that eating junk makes you fat. For heaven sakes, that's not the debate question. I mean don't you think an alcoholic knows if they don't drink alcohol they won't get drunk. The issue is what causes someone to cross that line into addictive behavior.

As to the question posed why American's eat "wronger" things then people in most other countries, well IMO, I think it goes back to the issue of coorperate farms and the increase in price of farmed foods and the decrease in price of junk. There was a great news story on this Native American farming community here where I live in AZ who never had issues with obesity and diabetes. But ever since they damned the Gila River, cutting off their water source they had to stop farming and started to eat gov. rationed foods which of course where all high in fat and corn syrup (cause that's what is cheap). Now the rate of obesity related diabetes in that tribe is ridiculously high. To me that is a pretty good indicator of what is going on here. As to other countries, well most other countries, especially third world countries, the farming is still being done by the people. Where do the poor get their food in India, China, etc.? The market. It's the opposite of what is happening here.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Oh boy, how many times do I have to say it? I DO KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO LOSE WEIGHT. I lost almost 60lbs. You know how I did it? I STOPPED STUFFING MY FACE! You know what everybody has an excuse. Why can't you lose weight? Oh I have an addiction/gladular problems/etc. Why didn't you get that job? Oh the boss was racist/biased/agist. Why is your child out of control? Oh it's ADHD/Slow development/oh it's just how they are isn't it cute? Again I'll ask, what happened to personal responsibility? It's always someone/thing elses fault. A phenomenon that only shows how correct i am is the gastric banding craze. Why change my behavior when all I have to do is have a risky surgery? Turns out they are having the wrong surgery, they should be getting their jaws wired shut. Same result, less risk. Thats my point, it's not me it's a disease. Nothing is impossible, your lack of success can most likely be traced directly back to you lack of effort/commitment.
Just wondering, I'm new here, but is it possible for you to debate a topic without you being so opprobrious? You keep referring to people who are overweight as "those people" and the contempt and detestation in your writing is palpable. It makes it hard to try and debate with you cause I can't get past your bad attitude to the jist of what you are saying.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:35 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
Who is to blame? Anyone who promulgates the myth of "big is beautiful-- BBW" etc.

Americans rather point their finger at Arabs -terrorists yet many more die each year from obesity related diseases and much more of our tax money and health care costs result from obesity than all the terrorist acts combined and multiplied by 1000.

It won't change- can you imagine Rush Limbaugh pointing his finger at himself about obesity or drug abuse? Nah let's blame those A-Rabs!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Who is to blame? Anyone who promulgates the myth of "big is beautiful-- BBW" etc.

Americans rather point their finger at Arabs -terrorists yet many more die each year from obesity related diseases and much more of our tax money and health care costs result from obesity than all the terrorist acts combined and multiplied by 1000.

It won't change- can you imagine Rush Limbaugh pointing his finger at himself about obesity or drug abuse? Nah let's blame those A-Rabs!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Big may not be healthy, but what's wrong with someone finding themselves beautiful regardless of their size. It seems to me what you are saying is that only skinny people can be beautiful and fat peoplel should feel ugly and ashamed. Isn' that just a fantastic lesson for our youth.

As for the "A-rab" comment, I ahve no idea what you are talking about.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:34 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
....your lack of success can most likely be traced directly back to you lack of effort/commitment.
Dr. Mr. Troll,

You know nothing of addiction.

Sincerely,

pba

Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Big may not be healthy, but what's wrong with someone finding themselves beautiful regardless of their size. It seems to me what you are saying is that only skinny people can be beautiful and fat peoplel should feel ugly and ashamed. Isn' that just a fantastic lesson for our youth.

As for the "A-rab" comment, I ahve no idea what you are talking about.
Agreed. A couple of comments here:

First: some people just like to put others down. And they will do whatever it takes to find a perceived flaw in others to justify themselves in doing so.

Second: styles change. The look of anorexia is considered sexy now. If you look at photos of some of the high profile models of today, they sometimes look like living skeletons. It’s actually scary. A hundred years ago, that would not have been found to be attractive at all. Such a person would probably have been sent to a doctor and checked for worms. If you look at some of the 'sexy' photos and artwork from that time, a fuller figure was obviously seen in a different light. And I'm not talking about morbidly obese; I'm just saying a bit 'meatier.' Now we find women who are obviously engaged in self-torture (starvation) sexy. Does that make us sadists? (fodder for a new thread)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates