Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 AM

27 posts, read 124,571 times

Advertisements

Movies take millions upon millions of dollars to make, yes I understand that. But if people are loosing jobs left and right where do studios find/get the extra money to pay for everything and yet American$ spend so much money watching them, I mean there are other forms of entertainment. Will pixars or wb's stocks ever get to the point where they will have to "Go out of business?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
During economic hard times people seem to find the money for personal entertainment (and then stiff what they owe to their dentists, doctors, attorneys...). Also, today with DVD revenue so high there is no longer a lot of pressure to make money at the box office.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:52 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Since people are no longer able to afford big trips and expensive vacations, movies often are a "cheap" alternative to those.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:04 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Well, unemployment is around 7%. That means 93% of the able population is working. Theaters should have no problem filling up with those numbers.

I would be interested if bar tabs and booze bills are up or down.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
People are looking for cheap (relativly) distraction. In NH booze sales (state monopoly) are steady and lottery sales are down.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
The same reason why in metro Detroit - perhaps the epicenter of this economic meltdown - it's still almost impossible to get a seat at a decent restaurant on a Friday night without a 2 hour wait.

Most people are still doing fine.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midchild View Post
Movies take millions upon millions of dollars to make, yes I understand that. But if people are loosing jobs left and right where do studios find/get the extra money to pay for everything and yet American$ spend so much money watching them, I mean there are other forms of entertainment. Will pixars or wb's stocks ever get to the point where they will have to "Go out of business?"
Good question. It would stand to reason that if banks don't have money to lend for houses and automobiles, then they don't have money to lend for movie productions. Yet they still seem to be able to fund Paul Blart - Mall Cop, as well as a variety of other mindless and useless movies and reality shows.

Seems to me that banks didn't really need those billions we "loaned" them.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
It's not too hard to figure out. During the Great Depression, some of the most notable American motion pictures were made. "King Kong", "Gone With the Wind", and "Wizard of Oz" were all filmed during the Depression era of the 1930s, and they are still considered to be among the best movies ever made. Bette Davis, Fred Astaire, Mae West, Clark Gable, and the Marx Brothers (to name a few) were all huge stars in the 1930s, and they became legends.

So just because the economy is in the toilet right now doesn't mean that Hollywood has to cease production of movies. Going to movies might actually be a form of escapism in these tough times ... a way to enjoy a dose of fiction that differs from real life. We can only hope that today's version of the Great Depression (although certainly not anything like the '30s) produces some Hollywood legends we hold to high standards for long time ... although somehow I doubt it. I will say, however, that there have been some pretty good movies in the past six months or so, such as "Changeling", "Benjamin Button", and "Slum Dog Millionaire".

Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Answer to your question:

Hollywood movies, like the car industry in the US, is a global industry.
Hollywood sells their movies to theathers all over the World.

The US economy might be bad, but I bet Hollywood is selling movies to countries that their economies are doing good.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:37 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Beyond the above posts....I can't even begin to estimate how many people are employed due to a thriving movie business. Not only the people involved in the actual production and distribution, but movie theaters from coast to coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates