Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It just shows an incredible lack of responsibility and forethought and an obsession with instant gratification. No consequences for anything...that's the way a lot of people want it.
That's the way the world spins.. unless I'm missing something... Doh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM

422 posts, read 649,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Thats a lovely generalization you make there. However its not always the case. There are committed young couples who just flat out do not want children under any circumstances, and the lady isnt willing to subject her body to the horrors of pregnancy. What about those people? Hmm? Or do you accuse them of "whoring around"?
What about married couples in the same boat?

Any BC methods fail at times even if they are used and used properly. While the chances of them failing arent extremely high, there is a chance. So therefore you'd sentence them to popping out a kid, and not only going through the pregnancy but also the adoption legalities and hassles as well?

Thanks but no thanks. Keep your beliefs out of my body as well as that of others like me.
So pregnancy is some horrific thing and then suddenly when you are ready Its just the "most amazing experience I've ever had". What a cop out. I didn't realize you considered someone elses life a hassle. That DOES explain why we treat each other as we do in this society. Anything that isn't 100% self-centered becomes a needless hassle. Thats kinda sad actually. Well everyone reaps what they sow. Thats why many women decide they are suddenly "ready" and can't conceive or lose their children all together. It sounds harsh but its reality. What do you say then "wait I wanted this one to live not die like the inconvenient ones.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 PM

422 posts, read 649,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
If I was the parental guardian of an impregnated 9 year old rape victim.. I wouldn't ask the kid what she wanted.. she'd be getting that abortion asap!
So the mothers rights are also fluid. It sounds like its less about the mother and more about whats convenient for YOU regardless of the circumstances. What if she went kicking and screaming to the abortionist? Begging to not have the abortion? Would you drug her and force her? Why? What if she was 16? you are still her guardian. You may not type it in but I guarantee your answer starts with I/Me/My.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
So pregnancy is some horrific thing and then suddenly when you are ready Its just the "most amazing experience I've ever had". What a cop out. I didn't realize you considered someone elses life a hassle. That DOES explain why we treat each other as we do in this society. Anything that isn't 100% self-centered becomes a needless hassle. Thats kinda sad actually. Well everyone reaps what they sow. Thats why many women decide they are suddenly "ready" and can't conceive or lose their children all together. It sounds harsh but its reality. What do you say then "wait I wanted this one to live not die like the inconvenient ones.
You're arguing about morality though and you can't tell someone what they should or shouldn't do morally.. I agree with Colddiamond on a lot of her points... who are you to say that an embryo has more rights than the mother? Your beliefs are just that.. *yours*. If you have control over your life.. let that be enough... you're not going to program the entire world to think and feel and believe like you do... so get over it.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
So the mothers rights are also fluid. It sounds like its less about the mother and more about whats convenient for YOU regardless of the circumstances. What if she went kicking and screaming to the abortionist? Begging to not have the abortion? Would you drug her and force her? Why? What if she was 16? you are still her guardian. You may not type it in but I guarantee your answer starts with I/Me/My.

Listen Princess.. it's about what's best for the kid... maybe you should read through my posts before reacting.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Listen Princess.. it's about what's best for the kid... maybe you should read through my posts before reacting.
Not wanting to argue...but PP brought up a good point about the 16 year old. It would be best for the 16 year old as well to not have a child. So would you force it then?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Not wanting to argue...but PP brought up a good point about the 16 year old. It would be best for the 16 year old as well to not have a child. So would you force it then?
Lmao.. I knew you were going to catch that... for a 16 year old.. would I force an abortion? Ugh.. I think I'd tread on that one really lightly.. might have to spend many many days thinking that over... but I would have a problem (for sure) with my kid attempting to parent at 16.. I would have a prob with my kid just going through a pregnancy at 16.. I think it's safe to say I don't know what I'd do.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Lmao.. I knew you were going to catch that... for a 16 year old.. would I force an abortion? Ugh.. I think I'd tread on that one really lightly.. might have to spend many many days thinking that over... but I would have a problem (for sure) with my kid attempting to parent at 16.. I would have a prob with my kid just going through a pregnancy at 16.. I think it's safe to say I don't know what I'd do.
There's no reason a 16 year old girl can't go through a pregnancy. Physically, that's a good age for it. Of course we know that mentally and emotionally is a different story. As far as attempting to parent, I absolutely agree that I wouldn't want that.

But, at the same time, regardless of your personal views on abortion...many women who have abortions feel extremely regretful and guilty later. If you are OK with your 16 year old daughter having an abortion that's one thing. But forcing it....that could create significant problems with your relationship with your kid if the guilt entered into the picture later.

Btw, I'm referring in this case to a 16 yo girl who got knocked up...not raped.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
There's no reason a 16 year old girl can't go through a pregnancy. Physically, that's a good age for it. Of course we know that mentally and emotionally is a different story. As far as attempting to parent, I absolutely agree that I wouldn't want that.

But, at the same time, regardless of your personal views on abortion...many women who have abortions feel extremely regretful and guilty later. If you are OK with your 16 year old daughter having an abortion that's one thing. But forcing it....that could create significant problems with your relationship with your kid if the guilt entered into the picture later.
I hear ya!

I don't ever think I said that I'd force my kid.. more like sway her to my way of thinking would be more accurate.. I dunno what kinda relationship you have with your kid.. I know the kinda relationship I had with my parents.. and there's no comparison. My kid would follow my lead.. she's 13 y/o now so.. maybe that'll change in 3 years but it is what it is now.

And.. I think that is much too early for her to go through a pregnancy.. I know you're a man but you must realize the kinda toll it takes on one's body. I would not want anyone at 16 to put their body through that.. there's still a lot of development to be done.. waay too early for pregnancy, imo.

Listen, I think if we were to sit down and discuss optimal development for a human being from birth to death.. we would both agree that there's time for pregnancy.. 16 is too early physically/emotionally/mentally.

And.. as far as your belief that most "women who have abortions feel extremely regretful and guilty later".. I wouldn't be so quick to agree with you.

That's a pretty broad statement you're making.. one that just so happens to support your way of thinking.. hmmm.. suspicious... lol!

How do you know what most women feel? Are you jumping to conclusions? Are you trying to justify your beliefs?

Pregnancy/birth/parenting/abortion will all be traumatic.. I don't think it's such an easy open shut case about which choice would be best in the situation we're discussing.

Ok.. I saw your little addition about the rape just now.. I just want to add that this opinion is based on just a regular old knocking up situation.. if it were rape.. prob lean toward the abortion even more.

Last edited by FlaGrrrl; 03-20-2009 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-20-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I hear ya!

I don't ever think I said that I'd force my kid.. more like sway her to my way of thinking would be more accurate.. I dunno what kinda relationship you have with your kid.. I know the kinda relationship I had with my parents.. and there's no comparison. My kid would follow my lead.. she's 13 y/o now so.. maybe that'll change in 3 years but it is what it is now.

And.. I think that is much too early for her to go through a pregnancy.. I know you're a man but you must realize the kinda toll it takes on one's body. I would not want anyone at 16 to put their body through that.. there's still a lot of development to be done.. waay to early for pregnancy, imo.

Listen, I think if we were to sit down and discuss optimal development for a human being from birth to death.. we would both agree that there's time for pregnancy.. 16 is too early physically/emotionally/mentally.

And.. as far as your belief that most "women who have abortions feel extremely regretful and guilty later".. I wouldn't be so quick to agree with you.

That's a pretty broad statement you're making.. one that just so happens to support your way of thinking.. hmmm.. suspicious... lol!

How do you know what most women feel? Are you jumping to conclusions? Are you trying to justify your beliefs?

Pregnancy/birth/parenting/abortion will all be traumatic.. I don't think it's such an easy open shut case about which choice would be best in the situation we're discussing.

Ok.. I saw your little addition about the rape just now.. I just want to add that this opinion is based on just a regular old knocking up situation.. if it were rape.. prob lean toward the abortion even more.
I never said "MOST" women feel guilty after having abortions...I said "MANY" do.

And you are very right...I've never been through pregnancy or childbirth myself. The closest I've come is my wife going through it. I am actually quite thankful I will never have to go through it myself.

As far as the 16 year old pregnancies...of course I know that 16 year olds don't need to be having kids. They actually shouldn't be sexually active at all. I understand this isn't very realistic with the way sex is made so "cool"...but they need to wait. I was 20 my first time and it wasn't THAT hard to not have sex at 16.

HOWEVER, if I had a daughter who DID choose to have sex at 16 AND got pregnant...it would be about HELPING her make the right choice...not about me forcing it on her. As long as abortion was legal, I would sign a consent form to allow it (even though I am personally against it) after making sure she really knew it's what she wanted to do. If she chose to give the baby up for adoption, I'd support that. As far as trying to raise the child herself, if she wanted that, I would have ZERO clue what to do then.

So I think we at least (somewhat) agree on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates