Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times

Advertisements

I found this gem in this morning's 'net info, available for all to see. Wow! July 1? Very close to Independance Day.

This is just another way they intend to chisel away at our rights. By Executive Order? Amazing.

Take cover, you geezers (Ooops; that includes me. Now where did I put my hearing aid, tri-focals, wheelchair and AR-15? )

PLEASE.... YOUR COMMENTS AND STRATEGY TO PUT THIS INTO THE NURSING HOME FOR BAD IDEAS!

Tighter restrictions on gun ownership for those over 60
Guns to Be Banned for Elderly
Staff Reports
United Press International
Washington

Deputy Attorney General Designate David Ogden is circulating a draft of an executive order in which, among other things, firearms possession would be severely limited to people over 60.

An assistant to Ogden told us, "It appears that in these changing times, it is no longer necessary to allow the elderly to be armed. With all of their physical ailments and increasing senility, to leave them in control of a deadly weapon would be ludicrous."

While the Executive Order may sound too powerful, experts in Constitutional law state that it is not actually un-Constitutional.

"It's a question of wording." states Columbia Law Professor, Dr. John Braxton. "The Constitution forbids the Congress, that is, the legislative branch, from passing any laws infringing on gun ownership. The executive branch is not included in this proviso. As long as the Congress doesn't get involved, it's technically a non-issue."

The Justice Department was tossing the idea of a gun ban for seniors during the Carter and Clinton Administration, but public opinion stopped these initiatives. Now, the Obama White House believes differently.

An unnamed aide close to Ogden agreed to talk on the condition of anonymity.

"Clinton and Carter didn't have as much of a mandate as President Obama. They were both Southerners, and the Second Amendment was sacrosanct to their constituents. However, President Obama comes from a new sort of politics, where divisive issues like firearms do not apply to him."

"Quite frankly, it's a shame that no one has had the good conscience to have done this already. It's a simple process, and the majority of the American people will understand it and follow the law."

The enforcement mechanism for this particular executive order has not been published. It is likely that the confiscation of weapons will be similar to Great Britain 's handgun ban, in which citizens willingly gave the weapons to police.

It is expected that the executive order will be given around July 1, when senior-related gun deaths reach their peaks.

The aide to Ogden stated: "For eight years you see the rolling back of regulation, and crime has skyrocketed. In fact, in Massachusetts alone, murders have risen 50% since 2002. Armed robbery has also risen dramatically. With such circumstances, we must act boldly."

rifleman adds: Actually, sorry to say to these cretins, the FBI's Uniform Report on Crime provides exactly the opposite stats, that violence in America has fallen dramatically over the past 10 years, with the possible exception of drug-gangs and illegal aliens. . Never heard, though, of drug-selling old gangsters doddering down to the 'hood to do bid-niz!

Of course by this summer, when the Barama Magic Recovery plan has pretty much failed, yes, there WILL be street riots for food, fuel, jobs, etc., and with the layoffs of police, gangs and teen thuggos will proliferate. And then Mr. Barama will proclaim that all guns will have to be rounded up
"For the safety of your fellow vulnerable citizens". By Executive Order.

Out of my cold dead hands. But let's don't forget the "Kill Ratio"
stat from 'Nam, eh guys?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
yeah ya really have to watch out for that 60 plus crowd gangsters doing all the drive by's and robbing 7-11's, One step at atime and we will all be at the mercy of the criminals.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
snopes.com: Firearms Ban for Elderly

SATIRE. Do your research.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Seriously. Everyone that posts to the internet should have snopes.com on their favorites list.

Rifleman, you fell hook-line-sinker on this one.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
If it sounds too good (or crazy) to be true, check snopes or at least "the google". Internet mantra for the wise.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:03 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times
Default "They're Coming! They're Coming! For YOU!"

Amazing! Thanks, newtoli. I learned something new today. The guy who forwarded this to me (I know him, BTW) from HIS friends swore it was from the AP Wire Svc feed!

So from now on, I'll conduct "Due Diligence".

Unless of course this isn't a hoax ,and "snopes" is just trying to keep us quiet and complacent until the vans arrive to round us up? That would, of course, include you, right? (Or do YOU work for the snopes conspiracy too? The plot thickens as I stir it!).

(Damned silent black helicopters! I just KNOW they're hovering over me at night! Now, where's my tinfoil hat again?)

Old 02-25-2009, 02:35 PM

68 posts, read 265,323 times
rifleman - here's what you need:

Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie

Old 02-25-2009, 05:54 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,419,495 times
the sad thing though, is that this article is not seemingly noticeable as satire, and any Constitution loving person would find this a possibility with current Democrat views on our second amendment.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:14 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
I'm glad it's a hoax. Geeze. 60 is young! as far as I'm concerned. It can be at least. Heck, my grandma is 91, lives on her own, takes care of her home, feeds many with her awesome Italian food. That's way more than most 20 somethings I know lol.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times
You're not the only one who fell for it. This poster tried desperately to rile up the old geezer crowd (like me!). LOL...you know what they say about how old age and experience will trump youth and hubris every time...

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...over-60-a.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates