Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:28 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,453 times

Advertisements

Asking the wife to grab a cold beer and turn the fan a little to the left for me while shes sweating bullets carrying in heavy groceries.

Breaking away from the ballgame on TV to start the stubborn lawnmower so she can mow the lawn.

Staying on top of important things like changing remote control batteries. Job-hunting can wait til next week and she can catch up on dishes,laundry,house-cleaning when she gets off of work.

It's a tough job being a real man but someone's got to hold down the overstuffed LazyBoy recliner and keep the brewery workers in a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Can you define what it is to be a man?

Do we have a set criteria on what it is to be a man?

When we say that boys need a male role model to teach them how to be men, what do we mean?

I am looking for something beyond men and women are wired differently.
My thought would be taking responsibility for your actions and dealing with the consequences of poor decisions honorably instead of trying to run away from them or make someone else suffer as a result of your poor decisions.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Asking the wife to grab a cold beer and turn the fan a little to the left for me while shes sweating bullets carrying in heavy groceries.

Breaking away from the ballgame on TV to start the stubborn lawnmower so she can mow the lawn.

Staying on top of important things like changing remote control batteries. Job-hunting can wait til next week and she can catch up on dishes,laundry,house-cleaning when she gets off of work.

It's a tough job being a real man but someone's got to hold down the overstuffed LazyBoy recliner and keep the brewery workers in a job.
Now THIS is what I've been talkin' about: Personal Responsibility (LOL)

Old 04-03-2009, 11:41 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post

Drinking beer and requiring your wife to be your servant do not count as things that make you a "real man" in my book.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Drinking beer and requiring your wife to be your servant do not count as things that make you a "real man" in my book.
Those were jokes...

Old 04-03-2009, 12:25 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Those were jokes...
Sorry. I have a hard time picking up on sarcasm on here sometimes.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:42 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think you just need an x and y chromosome to be a man but to be manly, well that's another ballgame. Here are the rules:

1. Manly men do not wear shoes with tassels.
2. Manly men do not get their nails buffed or wear clear nail polish.
3. Manly men do not tie a sweater around their neck and that goes double if the sweater is pink/salmon or any color that looks like sherbet.
4. Many men do not go to hair stylists and they especially don't let the hairstylists spray their hair.
5. Manly men do not wear thongs.
6. Manly men do not wear earrings in both ears or bracelets.
7. Manly men do not carry manbags. They're pocketbooks and rebranding them doesn't make it more manly.
8. Manly men use shampoo not hair products.
9. Manly men don't drive a Prius.
10. Manly men don't smell like French hookers. Call it what you want, it's still perfume.
11. Manly men can fix things.
Your verbal excess can be summed up in one sentence:

"Being manly involves having a set style that I consider attractive, and nothing else, because I am narrow-minded and attracted to men who have an inexplicably pathological motivation to prove their obviously apparent manhood."

If everyone would just do this, this thread would be 2, maybe 3 pages long.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
sorry. I have a hard time picking up on sarcasm on here sometimes.

...sawright... :d

Old 04-03-2009, 04:45 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,353 times
Well, there are many good answers already posted here. I think SCGranny was maybe the most succinct. ChrisC is also right in that these are all qualitites we like to see in all people.

I do think that men and women are "wired differently," however. Men's brains are physiologically different from women's, and this manifests itself in the ways they approach the world.

I cringe at the idea that men are not in touch with their emotions. Ladies, men just experience them differently than you do. Completely. Men are often required to put their emotions on hold while others express theirs, at a funeral, for example. The emotions then often become internalized, and are expressed in other ways, such as a particularly intense game of basketball, or a verbal sparring session with the male friends. For some men, they are expressed as an intense or prolonged bout of drinking, unfortunately. These are men who had inadequate role models, and therefore lack appropriate coping skills. While a single mom can certainly do a bang-up job of raising sons, she cannot teach them things like this because she has no way to share the perspective. The same goes for single Dads.

Taking this question from another direction, I think that "Be a man," as a phrase, is a weapon often used by women who are attempting (crudely) to manipulate a man through guilt, shame, and ridicule. My response to such an attack (and I would consider it to be one) would likely be something along the lines of "Shut the he** up. You haven't got a clue."

Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Well, there are many good answers already posted here. I think SCGranny was maybe the most succinct. ChrisC is also right in that these are all qualitites we like to see in all people.

I do think that men and women are "wired differently," however. Men's brains are physiologically different from women's, and this manifests itself in the ways they approach the world.

I cringe at the idea that men are not in touch with their emotions. Ladies, men just experience them differently than you do. Completely. Men are often required to put their emotions on hold while others express theirs, at a funeral, for example. The emotions then often become internalized, and are expressed in other ways, such as a particularly intense game of basketball, or a verbal sparring session with the male friends. For some men, they are expressed as an intense or prolonged bout of drinking, unfortunately. These are men who had inadequate role models, and therefore lack appropriate coping skills. While a single mom can certainly do a bang-up job of raising sons, she cannot teach them things like this because she has no way to share the perspective. The same goes for single Dads.

Taking this question from another direction, I think that "Be a man," as a phrase, is a weapon often used by women who are attempting (crudely) to manipulate a man through guilt, shame, and ridicule. My response to such an attack (and I would consider it to be one) would likely be something along the lines of "Shut the he** up. You haven't got a clue."
nice post. funny too. the bolded part is exactly what i've been trying to communicate in my own sideways logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates