Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:34 PM

973 posts, read 3,305,421 times

Advertisements

IMO, our society seems to disintigrate more each year. I listen to the news and am appalled and disheartened by many things I hear. One thing seems to be a constant though.....Blame.

If someone has trouble paying the mortgage or car payment, where did they get the idea that is would be okay the shirk the legal agreement they entered into? Did I miss the memo? How dare the bank want to collect payment on a loan. Doesn't the word "Loan" imply that the funds will be paid back.

People commit horrible crimes against others and we have to listen to the media spoon feed us stories about their underprivilaged childhoods, as if that absolves them of their culpability. That doesn't change things for the kids who were molested, the women who were raped or the families of someone who was murdered. They will spend the rest of their lives trying to pick up the pieces.

How often do you hear about a child abuser who was abused themselves? Why do we care if they were abused themselves?

When did "Personal Responsibility" become an option?

How did we get to this point? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,012,609 times
I like to blame the litigious sharks (lawyers)..but that'd be too easy, eh?!
Whoopsie! See there ya go, I've done it...gone and put the BLAME on!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:00 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,035,700 times
blame the tv, media, and people who don't read enough.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
As any society becomes more liberal, it also becomes more immoral. When this happens, accountability & personal responsibility leaves as well. This is the common and consistent theme throughout history. All great countries fall from within first as they become more tolerant of immorality.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I like to blame the litigious sharks (lawyers)..but that'd be too easy, eh?!
Whoopsie! See there ya go, I've done it...gone and put the BLAME on!
I'm sure the litigious sharks have their pawprints in there somewhere. It's okay to blame them for some of it. They have to come up with some kind of argument to help release some poor, beleagered social outcast back into society.
Maybe if we form a prayer chain and have a Hug a Thug day every Thursday, we can give all those SOB's some sense of acceptance and love.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
As any society becomes more liberal, it also becomes more immoral. When this happens, accountability & personal responsibility leaves as well. This is the common and consistent theme throughout history. All great countries fall from within first as they become more tolerant of immorality.
Any thoughts on HOW or WHY this happens?

Do you think that this level of moral decay has always been there or is it just that we have more access to news reports from around the world?

Old 12-11-2008, 03:13 PM

223 posts, read 538,120 times
I think a big part of where "we've" gone wrong is to continue to support the crooked 2 party political system that we have....until people understand that there isn't a dime's worth of difference between Republicans and Democrats, and finally let the Constitution guide them in electing candidates, we're doomed.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM

464 posts, read 1,742,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
IMO, our society seems to disintigrate more each year. I listen to the news and am appalled and disheartened by many things I hear. One thing seems to be a constant though.....Blame.

If someone has trouble paying the mortgage or car payment, where did they get the idea that is would be okay the shirk the legal agreement they entered into? Did I miss the memo? How dare the bank want to collect payment on a loan. Doesn't the word "Loan" imply that the funds will be paid back.

People commit horrible crimes against others and we have to listen to the media spoon feed us stories about their underprivilaged childhoods, as if that absolves them of their culpability. That doesn't change things for the kids who were molested, the women who were raped or the families of someone who was murdered. They will spend the rest of their lives trying to pick up the pieces.

How often do you hear about a child abuser who was abused themselves? Why do we care if they were abused themselves?

When did "Personal Responsibility" become an option?

How did we get to this point? Any ideas?
America is feeling the fallout of the worst thing it could have ever done : To volitionally displace God and his absolute moral laws and values which were intially instituted by this Countrys Founders ... in exchange for MAN making his own 'rules' to live by --- and of course those rules are all centered around maximum personal entitlement and the avenues in which that is achieved are thru the uncontrolled desire for sexual immorality , hedonism, and narcissism. When this comes to fruition, all kinds of unethical behavior leading to anarchy is the result and each suceeding generation takes it to the next level of moral degradation. If you have young children, you should be concerned. Very concerned.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:11 PM

38 posts, read 51,390 times
I believe people who try to impose their views on others, fear others who do not think or act like them. That makes them very narrow minded. Some of the people I know, who are brilliant mind you, just see things differently in people who don't share the same views as they do. I think our decline is from Greed and corruption. People are accused of being being lazy when they get up and go to work. Some work two, perhaps three jobs and still can't afford the very basics in life. Our cost of living is so high now but our pay has not changed in years. I know people will say, you need higher education or a skill, but there are people who have to take those kinds of jobs. There is a demand for it. We really need to pay them a fair salary. Not everyone lives together with about three families but that is changing just so they can survive. You can not live on min. wage in 2008. Now we have this back lash and who pays for it? Now it is going to be the middle class. I think people should treat people like citizens of this great nation instead of trying to make slaves out of the people for their own greed. So who is to blame? I suppose it is us. All who profit from the weak. People who do not care about quality anymore but quanity. Thats why we buy the cheap junk from walmarts and it falls apart quickly. People can't find the time to read for knowledge or entertainment when you have the masses so tired and worn out. We have created this. If you treat a human being like a wild animal, that is what you are going to have. Just my thoughts...

Old 12-11-2008, 04:26 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Read any book about current events at any time and people are asking where they went wrong because society is becoming morally bankrupt, money is tight, and "pop" culture looks like it will kill society in some fashion.

Everyone wants to blame other things for their own misfortunes, it's always the opposites political affiliation, philosophy, moral outlook...whatever. There's a good reason scapegoats have been in use for thousands of years (Scapegoat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), it's always something else that brings misfortune to a person...never bringing it on themselves.

It's human nature, not something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates